7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2014 9:09 AM by wdfink

Getting started with JBoss AS 6

tjkincaid

Hi,

I am a long time GlassFish user looking to do some work with JBoss AS 6. It is final, congratulations to the team. I am on Centos 5.2. I have downloaded the final .zip bundle and I started up the server. I get a number of exceptions in the server log and I can't seem to do anything meaningful on the Administration console. I am unsure if I am doing something wrong, I pretty guessed at the steps to start the server. What I am looking for is a getting started guilde for JBoss AS 6. Something that would take me through starting the server and deploying an application and subsequent verifying that it worked. Is there such a thing for JBoss AS 6? I found a getting started guide for JBoss AS 6 here:

http://www.jboss.org/jbossas/docs/6-x/Core-Documentation/gettingstarted.html

Unfortunately, these point to the JBoss AS 5 docs. I get the impression things have changed enough so that simply using the AS 5 getting started guide would not work out very well.

If there, is not such a guide available, perhaps somebody could post a simple set of instructions or point me to a blog some place.

Thanks,

Tom

• 1. Re: Getting started with JBoss AS 6
          shelly.mcgowan

I should have the Getting Started Guide published later today or tomorrow.  You can view the JBoss AS 6 Administration Console guide if you want to use that to manage your JBoss instance.  For other completed AS 6 doc books, refer to the JBoss AS Official Documentation page.    Can you elaborate on the exceptions seen in ther server.log?

• 2. Re: Getting started with JBoss AS 6
            tjkincaid

Shelly,

Thanks so much for the reply. I checked the admin. doc you mentioned and from what I can tell I am doing everythning as I am supposed to. Included below is the exception / error I am seeing in the server log. The thing that concerns me a bit is that the console does not appear very functional. Only the Summary and Metrics Tabs are visible and the only thing on the left hand side menu is a single entry called:

localhost.localdomain I click on it and nothing happens. From viewing docs you sent it appears there should be a lot more available to me. I included a screen shot. Also included is the boot log. Again, thanks for your help.

Tom

Screen shot 2011-01-03 at 1.16.22 PM.png

• 3. Re: Getting started with JBoss AS 6
              shelly.mcgowan

It appears the server did not successfully start.  In the log you provided, I see  the following:

13:13:23,404 WARN  [SocketServerInvoker] Unable to create unbound ServerSocket: cannot set reuseAddress to true
              13:13:23,405 ERROR [AbstractKernelController] Error installing to Start: name=UnifiedInvokerConnector state=Create: java.io.IOException: SocketServerInvoker[127.0.0.1:4446] error creating ServerSocket[127.0.0.1:4446]: Address already in use
                      at org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.SocketServerInvoker.createServerSockets(SocketServerInvoker.java:370) [:6.0.0.Final]
                      at org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.SocketServerInvoker.start(SocketServerInvoker.java:250) [:6.0.0.Final]
                      at org.jboss.remoting.transport.Connector.start(Connector.java:344) [:6.0.0.Final]

Is there another process running on port 4446?   Can you also attache the server.log?

• 4. Re: Getting started with JBoss AS 6
                tjkincaid

Thanks Shelly. It turns out I was running another instance of JBoss that was bunlded with my company's product. I shut it down and I restarted JBoss 6.0 AS. The Admin Server comes up and looks healthy. Again, really appreciate your help. Hopefully, I will have a JBoss 6.0 / PostgreSQL 9.0 blog out shortly.

• 5. Re: Getting started with JBoss AS 6
                  testudobb

Any idea if there is a plan of having a getting started guide for JBoss 6?  I know AS 7 is out, but my client wants to have AS6 and I am looking something that is not Admin Console guide.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Getting started with JBoss AS 6
                    pp2100

Hi Shelly,

Was the JBoss AS 6 Getting Started Guide created? Can you please post it on the AS6 documentation page.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Getting started with JBoss AS 6
                      wdfink

Hello Parag,

as this post is really old and JBoss AS6 is out of date I would recommend to start with WildFly, which is the renamed JBossAS project after AS7.

The current documentation can be found here Documentation - WildFly 9