5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2011 7:49 AM by rafael.sales

modal panel rerendering bug?

akaine

I'll try to be brief but it's somehow difficult to explain, though relatively easy to simulate.

Let's say we have a simple catalogue administration page:

<a4j:keepAlive beanName="controller_cars" />
      <a4j:form id="form_cars">
           <rich:panel style="text-align: right;">
                <a4j:commandButton value="Add new" reRender="modal_car" action="#{controller_cars.prepareNewCar}" oncomplete="#{rich:component('modal_car')}.show();return false;"/>
           </rich:panel>
           <!-- some ther stuff including existant cars list, etc. -->
      </a4j:form>

<rich:modalPanel id="modal_car" autosized="true" width="400">
           <f:facet name="header">
                <h:outputText value="Add new car" />
           </f:facet>
           <a4j:form id="form_car">
                <h:panelGrid columns="2">
                     <h:outputText value="Model: *" />
                     <h:inputText value="#{controller_cars.car.model}" size="25" maxlength="128" required="true" requiredMessage="- Car model is required" />
                     <h:outputText value="Brand: *" />
                     <rich:comboBox value="#{controller_cars.car.catBrand.idcatbrand}" defaultLabel="Put some value" converter="converterSI" width="152" required="true" requiredMessage="- Brand is required" validator="validator_cat" validatorMessage="- Invalid brand">
                          <f:selectItems value="#{controller_cars.brandsSI}" />
                     </rich:comboBox>
                     <h:outputText value="Year: *" />
                     <rich:comboBox value="#{controller_cars.car.year}" defaultLabel="Put some value" converter="converterSI" width="152" required="true" requiredMessage="- Year is required" validator="validator_cat" validatorMessage="- Invalid year">
                          <f:selectItems value="#{controller_cars.yearsSI}" />
                     </rich:comboBox>
                     <h:outputText value="Price: *" />
                     <rich:inputNumberSpinner value="#{controller_cars.car.price}" minValue="0.00" maxValue="999999.00" cycled="false" step="1000.00" inputSize="15" required="true" requiredMessage="- Price is required" validator="validator_notzero" validatorMessage="- The price must be above zero"/>
                </h:panelGrid>
                <div style="text-align: center;">
                     <a4j:commandButton value="Save" type="submit" action="#{controller_cars.saveCar}" oncomplete="#{facesContext.maximumSeverity == null ? 'Richfaces.hideModalPanel(\'modal_car\');' : 'Richfaces.showModalPanel(\'modal_errors\')'};" reRender="form_cars" />
                     <rich:spacer width="10" />
                     <a4j:commandButton value="Cancel" ajaxSingle="true" type="button" action="#{controller_cars.flushCar}" oncomplete="#{rich:component('modal_car')}.hide();return false;" />
                </div>
           </a4j:form>
      </rich:modalPanel>

And the backing bean:

public class ControllerCars {

private List<Car> cars = new ArrayList<Car>(0);
           private List<SelectItem> brandsSI = new ArrayList<SelectItem>(0);
           private List<SelectItem> yearsSI = new ArrayList<SelectItem>(0);
           private Car car; //an entity bean with correspondant fields inside

@EJB private CarFacadeLocal carFL;

// VIEW METHODS =======================================
           public String loadPageCars(){
                return "LOAD_Cars";
           }

//a method that is called every time the page is loaded using javascript
           public void reloadView(){
                car = null;
                cars = loadCars(); //a method that loads the cars list
                //some other stuff the page needs lo be loaded
           }

// CAR MODAL ==========================================
           public void flushCar(){
                car = null;
                brandsSI.clear();
                yearsSI.clear();
           }

public void prepareNewCar(){
                car = new Car(); //it's a default construtor, no fields initialized
                brandsSI = fillBrands(); //a private method to fill the list with SelectItems
                yearsSI = fillYears(); //same as above
           }

public void saveCar(){
                carFL.save(car);
                flushCar();
                cars = loadCars();
           }

// etc.
      }

Looks pretty simple... Now, the actual error I've been experiencing since the beggining of times:

1. I click the "Add new" button and a modal opens (the car object is getting initialized)

2. I fill some data missing a field

3. I click "Save" and a modal_errors window pops up showing the list of errors (the required field I've missed for ex.)

4. I close the errors modal and click the "Cancel" button (the car object is getting nulled at this moment)

5. I click the "Add new" button again (the car object id getting initialized again with ampty fields) and the modal_car is opened

At this point the form_car will have the old values I left before I hit the "Cancel" button and I have no explanation for this.

- all methods are getting executed as they should

- I printed out the Car fields and they all have null value at the moment of initialization

- this happens in all popular browsers (FF,IE,Safari,Chrome,Opera)

- I have several corporate size applications based on this architecture and they all have this flaw while the rest is working perfectly fine

- the modal_errors is a simple modal panel with rich:messages inside and a button to close it, no events attached

My guess is that the temporal js backing bean fields counterparts are not getting wiped out when I press "Cancel" and somehow the error modal is affecting the process, since if I don't hit the "Save" button prior to "Cancel" the form is getting cleared as it should.

JSF 1.2, Facelets 1.1.15, RF 3.3.3 GA, Jboss 5.1 GA

Any ideas?