4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2010 11:05 PM by farhanhh

WebLogic 8.1 to JBOSS AS 6 Migration

mohanc

Hi,

I joined JBOSS community recently with a hope to get guidance and advice on Migration from WebLogic 8.1 to JBOSS AS 6.

JBOSS AS 6 is the latest and hence to go with it.

The customer application is hosted on WebLogic 8.1 is based on JDK 1.4 and it uses struts 1.1, EJB 2.1, Servlet 2.3.

It was developed around 8 years ago and now we are exploring opportunities to migrate it to JBOSS. Since JBOSS AS 6 is the latest version, that option is picked up.

Please can someone help me with materials, procedure to follow and possible changes that should be done from application end and JBOSS end to suite the migration.

How to go about approaching this migration. What is the supported technologies for JBOSS AS 6

Thank you in advance.

PS: If this is not the correct area to post the question, kindly advice on how to post this question.

Regards,

Mohan

• 1. Re: WebLogic 8.1 to JBOSS AS 6 Migration
          f_marchioni

The complexity of the migrations depends on the amount of vendor libs/classes you are using in your application.

If you are using only Java EE compliant features then it should not be an issue. Some notes:

1) JBoss 6 has not yet been published as stable release. At the moment with the M5 you can get most of Java EE 1.6 features but you have to wait the end of the year (I guess) for the stable release. However, since you are not using any Java EE 1.6 feature in your project, I'd advice using JBoss 5.1.0.

2) You have to upgrade to JDK 1.6, because with JDK 1.4 you cannot even start JBoss 5/6 and JDK 1.5 has reached its End of Service Life (EOSL) on November 3 2009. This means you will not get support/patches from Oracle, unless you sign a support contract with Oracle.

3) Time ago I started to write a guide for migrating from Weblogic to JBoss. Have a look if it can helps.

Regards

Francescp

• 2. Re: WebLogic 8.1 to JBOSS AS 6 Migration
            mohanc

Thank you Francesco.

How can I justify business that JBOSS 5.1.0 is good to go with Production and not with latest. Because everyone wants latest.

From my end for production system, I always prefer stable product which is there for a while and being rectified with patches.

Let me know your thoughts.

Regards,

Mohan

• 3. Re: WebLogic 8.1 to JBOSS AS 6 Migration
              f_marchioni

Well from my point of view developers are mostly interested to get hands on the latest stuff but end users and the customer-who pays for the software- has a wisely and conservative approach like you. I think you should point out two things: at first you are not using any Java EE 1.6 feature so there's no hurry to move to JBoss 6. If that's not enough, you can still show to your staff the bug list of the very first JBoss 5.0.0 release (luckily the release 5.1.0 is much much better :-) )

Hope it helps,

Francesco

• 4. Re: WebLogic 8.1 to JBOSS AS 6 Migration
                farhanhh

This is exactly why you want to make a case for JBoss 5. JBoss 5 EAP is the latest supported/stable version of JBoss from Red Hat.