1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2010 9:55 AM by dan.j.allen

Installing TestNG Eclipse plugin 5.11

str

I read in the dokumentation that I should use the 5.11 TestNG eclipse plugin if I want to use testNG, but I'm having problem installing it in eclipse. It looks like the dependecies are removed from the server. I guess some of you in the team have installed this successfully, do you have any work around for this?

eclipse.buildId=unknown java.version=1.6.0_19 java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc. BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=no_NO Framework arguments: -product org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.product Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.product

Error Mon Jun 07 15:45:53 CEST 2010 Artifact not found: org.eclipse.update.feature,org.testng.eclipse,5.11.0.28.

java.io.FileNotFoundException: "http://beust.com/eclipse/features/org.testng.eclipse_5.11.0.28.jar" at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.RepositoryStatusHelper.checkFileNotFound(RepositoryStatusHelper.java:289) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.FileReader.checkException(FileReader.java:352) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.FileReader.sendRetrieveRequest(FileReader.java:326) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.FileReader.readInto(FileReader.java:263) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.RepositoryTransport.download(RepositoryTransport.java:71) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.RepositoryTransport.download(RepositoryTransport.java:127) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.artifact.repository.simple.SimpleArtifactRepository.downloadArtifact(SimpleArtifactRepository.java:468) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.artifact.repository.simple.SimpleArtifactRepository.downloadArtifact(SimpleArtifactRepository.java:451) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.artifact.repository.simple.SimpleArtifactRepository.getArtifact(SimpleArtifactRepository.java:518) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.artifact.repository.MirrorRequest.getArtifact(MirrorRequest.java:200) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.artifact.repository.MirrorRequest.transferSingle(MirrorRequest.java:175) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.artifact.repository.MirrorRequest.transfer(MirrorRequest.java:159) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.artifact.repository.MirrorRequest.perform(MirrorRequest.java:95) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.artifact.repository.simple.SimpleArtifactRepository.getArtifact(SimpleArtifactRepository.java:507) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.artifact.repository.simple.DownloadJob.run(DownloadJob.java:64) at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

Error Mon Jun 07 15:45:53 CEST 2010 Artifact not found: osgi.bundle,org.testng.eclipse,5.11.0.28.

java.io.FileNotFoundException: "http://beust.com/eclipse/plugins/org.testng.eclipse_5.11.0.28.jar" at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.RepositoryStatusHelper.checkFileNotFound(RepositoryStatusHelper.java:289) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.FileReader.checkException(FileReader.java:352) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.FileReader.sendRetrieveRequest(FileReader.java:326) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.FileReader.readInto(FileReader.java:263) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.RepositoryTransport.download(RepositoryTransport.java:71) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.RepositoryTransport.download(RepositoryTransport.java:127) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.artifact.repository.simple.SimpleArtifactRepository.downloadArtifact(SimpleArtifactRepository.java:468) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.artifact.repository.simple.SimpleArtifactRepository.downloadArtifact(SimpleArtifactRepository.java:451) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.artifact.repository.simple.SimpleArtifactRepository.getArtifact(SimpleArtifactRepository.java:518) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.artifact.repository.MirrorRequest.getArtifact(MirrorRequest.java:200) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.artifact.repository.MirrorRequest.transferSingle(MirrorRequest.java:175) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.artifact.repository.MirrorRequest.transfer(MirrorRequest.java:159) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.artifact.repository.MirrorRequest.perform(MirrorRequest.java:95) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.artifact.repository.simple.SimpleArtifactRepository.getArtifact(SimpleArtifactRepository.java:507) at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.artifact.repository.simple.DownloadJob.run(DownloadJob.java:64) at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

Error Mon Jun 07 15:45:53 CEST 2010 session context was:(profile=epp.package.jee, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.engine.phases.Collect, operand=, action=).

/Stefan

• 1. Re: Installing TestNG Eclipse plugin 5.11
          dan.j.allen

Seems like the site is down right now. You could follow the advice on the TestNG download page:

However, should this method fail, you can also download the TestNG Eclipse plug-in directly and extract it in your Eclipse dropins/ directory.

Any version above 5.11 should be fine.

• 2. Re: Installing TestNG Eclipse plugin 5.11
            str

That link is for 5.12

I have no problem installing 5.12 but it doesn't work with Arquillian

You must use the 5.11 version of the TestNG Eclipse plugin, which can be downloaded fromtestng.org. The TestNG update site will give you version 5.12 which is not compatible with any released version of TestNG core.

When I try to install the 5.11 plugin i get the FileNotFound error. I tried putting it in dropins folder but, without results

• 3. Re: Installing TestNG Eclipse plugin 5.11
              dan.j.allen

Stefan Rasmusson wrote:

That link is for 5.12

I have no problem installing 5.12 but it doesn't work with Arquillian

You must use the 5.11 version of the TestNG Eclipse plugin, which can be downloaded fromtestng.org. The TestNG update site will give you version 5.12 which is not compatible with any released version of TestNG core.

When I try to install the 5.11 plugin i get the FileNotFound error. I tried putting it in dropins folder but, without results

Oops! Sorry to have misdirected you. I guess I should know my own project requirements better

Hmm, it seems that the issue is that files are moving around on the beust.com site atm. You might want to ask on the http://groups.google.com/group/testng-users forum or see if the JBoss Tools guys can offer some insight. I tried to find a mirror of the zip file, but it was a fruitless search.

• 4. Re: Installing TestNG Eclipse plugin 5.11
                dan.j.allen

Aha! A little bash script found it for me!

for i in $(seq 50); do wget http://testng.org/testng-eclipse-5.11.0.$i.zip; done;

Here are the two that I found:

Extract one of those and put it in your dropins directory and see if it works out.

The structure of the dropins directory should look like:

$ECLIPSE_INSTALL_DIR/
                   dropins/
                      testng-eclipse-5.11/
                         eclipse/
                            plugins/
                               org.testng.eclipse_5.11.0.28.jar

I'm verifying that now.

• 5. Re: Installing TestNG Eclipse plugin 5.11
                  dan.j.allen

Verified. Good, 'cause I needed to install TestNG anyway

• 6. Re: Installing TestNG Eclipse plugin 5.11
                    dan.j.allen
                    • 7. Re: Installing TestNG Eclipse plugin 5.11
                      str

May I suggest a change?

I've been in contact with the developer of TestNG and he told me the 5.11 plugin could be installed with the update site, http://beust.com/eclipse-5.11.0.28, I tried it and it worked. So I would suggest putting that in the FAQ instead of the current.

He was quite confused about why Arquillian doesn't work with the 5.12 plugin. Do you have any good answer I could forward?

• 8. Re: Installing TestNG Eclipse plugin 5.11
                        dan.j.allen

Stefan Rasmusson wrote:

May I suggest a change?

I've been in contact with the developer of TestNG and he told me the 5.11 plugin could be installed with the update site, http://beust.com/eclipse-5.11.0.28, I tried it and it worked. So I would suggest putting that in the FAQ instead of the current.

Change made.

He was quite confused about why Arquillian doesn't work with the 5.12 plugin. Do you have any good answer I could forward?

Hmm, I'm not sure. Anyway try it? What's the exception (if any).

• 9. Re: Installing TestNG Eclipse plugin 5.11
                          dan.j.allen

Btw, I like the dropins approach because it makes it very easy to toggle versions of the plugin you have installed. Frankly, I can't stand the update manager, but that's just me.

• 10. Re: Installing TestNG Eclipse plugin 5.11
                            pmuir

Unfortunately, TestNG had massive API instability between 5.11.x and 5.12 (I mean, WTF?!). Therefore, whilst Arquillian builds on TestNG 5.11, you need to use the 5.11 Eclipse plugin. Once it switches to 5.12, then you can uuse 5.12.

https://jira.jboss.org/browse/ARQ-86 - Aslak, what is the status of this, 5.12 is now released IIRC.

Or, use JUnit, it doesn't have this issue!

• 11. Re: Installing TestNG Eclipse plugin 5.11
                              dan.j.allen

Or, use JUnit, it doesn't have this issue!

To build on Pete's recommendation here, we've decided to use JUnit 4 in Seam 3. Obviously, we are committed to supporting both unit testing frameworks in Aquillian, but JUnit 4 has been more consistent lately. (Though still missing testing groups, but we've got an idea for that).

Having said that, I've suggested on more than one occasion that we see if we can help the unit testing frameworks where appropriate (issue reports, patches, etc). Arquillian benefits from upstream improvements.

• 12. Re: Installing TestNG Eclipse plugin 5.11
                                cbeust

Pete, can you be more specific about your "WTF"?

TestNG has been strongly backward compatible since version 1.0, I'd really like to know if I introduced some backward incompatibilities between 5.11 and 5.12...

Thanks.

--

Cédric

• 13. Re: Installing TestNG Eclipse plugin 5.11
                                  aslak

I am sure TestNG is  compatible from the users point of view, but Arquillian has some special packaging needs to be able to do the remote invocation.

API changes in 5.12.1:

• from XmlClass.getIncludedMethods().add(String) to XmlClass.getIncludedMethods().add(XmlInclude)

To work around a issue with a Class in package "org.testng.junit" depending on com.sun.javadoc.Doclet, a class that does not seem to be accessible in OpenJDK 1.6, we had to specify every Package to bundle.

Packages removed in 5.12.1:

• org.testng.v6
                                  • com.thoughtworks

And now every Maven user now has to manually add a dependency on Guice in their POMs to run TestNG. This is the biggest WTF from the users perspective, and it seems like a major change for a point release.

<dependency>

<groupId>com.google.inject</groupId>

<artifactId>guice</artifactId>

<version>2.0</version>

<scope>test</scope>

</dependency>

-aslak-
                                  • 14. Re: Installing TestNG Eclipse plugin 5.11
                                    aslak

I just committed the TestNG 5.12.1 upgrade to Arquillian trunk: https://jira.jboss.org/browse/ARQ-86

1 2 Previous Next