7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2011 11:19 AM by lkrzyzanek

No unique constraint on user names

I was unable to access my old account with my old username and password and posted three messages to JBoss asking for help to access my account but didn't get any response and so I ran out of patience and registered again with a new username . And so there are now two “Benjamin Seyinbour”  albeit with different usernames.

I tried to get my old password sent to me but never received it -- perhaps it was sending it to my disused email address  which I may not have updated.

It seems that only the username has unique constraint, and every other user details (First and last names, etc) can be duplicate. JBoss used to only show the username and then,  without warning to users, started displaying users' first and last names.  The consequence of this policy is that any number of people can use existing users' first and last names – as I have done successfully -- as long as they use a different username to register.

• 1. Re: No unique constraint on user names
          jaikiran

I think it's a good thing that we don't have a restriction on unique first name, lastname combination. There are many users who share the same firstname lastname. The restriction on a unique login id (which no one else but the user knows) is enough.

• 2. Re: No unique constraint on user names

Hello jaikiran pai,

At the db design level, you are right, hence the use of unique key – id,username,email address--  but if you use users' real names as the username or monika then you will have duplicates, which is exactly what is happening with me (or anyone for that matter) being able to use the same full names  more than once. You can see that I am now registered on May 19 2010 but if you go to the GateIn or EJB or Richfaces forums, you will see the same name registered since 2005.

As I said earlier, it used to be that case that only the username –- as it is unique – was  shown but then after a JBoss server glitch or change in policy, and without any warning, real full names began to replace username. Users real names are provided for administrative use and not one to be displayed as the username.

It seems that every time  JBoss takes a hit from hackers, there is confusion. I have used the same login details since 2005 and then I can't get in, and there is  no way round it except to register again, which I did reluctantly.

Anyway, I want my old account back. It is  not a big deal but I am nearly 5 years old on this website -- I would imagine that counts for something -- and wonder if you have any suggestions.

• 3. Re: No unique constraint on user names
              jaikiran

Benjamin Seyinbour wrote:

As I said earlier, it used to be that case that only the username –- as it is unique – was  shown but then after a JBoss server glitch or change in policy, and without any warning, real full names began to replace username. Users real names are provided for administrative use and not one to be displayed as the username.

Personally, I think this is better to show first name and last name combination as the display name in posts, instead of showing the loginid (I believe that's what you are referring to as "username"). If you do not want your real firstname/lastname to be visible to others, then I guess you can edit your profile to set any dummy firstname/lastname (although I haven't tried it myself).

Benjamin Seyinbour wrote:

It seems that every time  JBoss takes a hit from hackers, there is confusion. I have used the same login details since 2005 and then I can't get in, and there is  no way round it except to register again, which I did reluctantly.

Anyway, I want my old account back. It is  not a big deal but I am nearly 5 years old on this website -- I would imagine that counts for something -- and wonder if you have any suggestions.

Sure, you can get your old account back. Could you provide the exact details of the issue you are facing with your old account? That might help someone from the .org team to help you get back your account.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: No unique constraint on user names

Hello jaikiran pai,

The issue of name duplication still remains and JBoss should know better than allow it. It may well be a “Nice To Have”, but it is a design flaw,  if you ask me.

Anyway, I sent emails to the JBoss via  their “Contact Form” on three occasions but to no avail. That was before I re-registered. I have also sent emails to the JBoss support team  and still no response. As I said in my earliest post, when I requested password reminder, it might have been sent it  my dis-used email address "something@ouvip.com", which I may not have updated before the hackers visited the JBoss servers.

If you can provide me an email address from JBoss, I will send them more details to authenticate me.

Thanks

• 5. Re: No unique constraint on user names
                  lkrzyzanek

Hi Benjamin,

unfortunately we have many requests about login/password problems so we're not able to resolve requests immediately.

I'll try to help you today.

Thanks,

Libor

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: No unique constraint on user names

Thanks! Libor Krzyzanek.

• 7. No unique constraint on user names
                      lkrzyzanek

Hi Benjamin,

I see that you have two fully working accounts on jboss.org.

If you want I can merge them together. Just let me know which username do you prefer.

Thanks,

Libor