6 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2010 9:18 PM by dr_pompeii

About differences between jPDL editors jBPM  3.2.6 and 4.3

dr_pompeii

Dear Members

I have a consult, I see many differences between  jPDL editors jBPM  3.2.6 and 4.3

Exists a table about the equivalences from the old to new version? (For example in 3.2.6 appear Super State and not in 4.3)

jbpm07.png

For 3.2.6

jbpm08.png

For 4.3

Other important difference is about the tab pages for each editor, 4.3 has no anymore Development

(seems deprecated since gpd.xml work appear now how g attribute in .jpdl in 4.3 )

<state name="state1" g="144,196,92,52">
       <transition name="to end1" to="end1" g="-42,-18"/>
       </state>

nor Design

Some guidance would be useful

Thanks in advanced

• 1. Re: About differences between jPDL editors jBPM  3.2.6 and 4.3
          rebody

Hi Manuel,

The GPD for jBPM4 has not finished yet. For example, the GroupActivity, in jbpm3 it named super-state, have not been supported.

The jBPM4 has bean completely re-writen, you can see many differences from API, database schema, xml content and etc, but the core of process execution model is just as same as jBPM3.

• 2. Re: About differences between jPDL editors jBPM  3.2.6 and 4.3
            dr_pompeii

Hello Huisheng

Thanks for the reply

The GPD for jBPM4 has not finished yet.

Oh.Little confuse, if we have 4.3 when should be finished?

The jBPM4 has bean completely re-writen, you can see many differences from API, database schema, xml content and etc, but the core of process execution model is just as same as jBPM3.

Interesting, I thought was completely done since I saw a link about Announcing jBPM 5

Where you have read the actual status about jBPM 4.x series?

Tell me , you right now which version use?

Best Regards

-Manuel

• 3. Re: About differences between jPDL editors jBPM  3.2.6 and 4.3
              rebody

Hi Manuel,

At this moment, the GPD for jBPM 4 is quite simple, and there are many features cannot be used on it, e.g. the properties of activity had not been supported completely,  and there are still some issues didn't be fixed yet,  e.g. if you enter the name of activity in property panel,  the text will be turn to reverse. And some issues are depended by the PVM implementation, e.g. PVM had not supported variable declaration, so we could define process varaibles in GPD yet. So if you want to use GPD to design process definition on jBPM 4 there are still something having to edit source xml by hand.

You can see the roadmap from JIRA. https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBPM  Because there are many issues that have not been fixed, so I said jBPM 4 doesnot complete.

At this moment, we are using jBPM 4.3. And of course we make some extension on jBPM 4 for our requirements.

• 4. Re: About differences between jPDL editors jBPM  3.2.6 and 4.3
                dr_pompeii

Hello Huisheng

Thanks again for your time and reply, and sorry for my delay.

e.g. if you enter the name of activity in property panel,  the text will be turn to reverse.

Not good

So if you want to use GPD to design process definition on jBPM 4 there are still something having to edit source xml by hand.

Please clear my doubt, your experience is valuable, OK, GPD is not 100% functional, therefore seems that I must do all by hand (source), well I think that design with the graphical editor and then complete the rest with the source is not critical in a good sense, but tell me, perhaps you had this experience, what happen if by source I create a super-state and then return to the graphical editor? I mean by hand edit some things or configurations not supported get by the graphical editor.

At this moment, we are using jBPM 4.3. And of course we make some extension on jBPM 4 for our requirements.

How you handle this situation?, I mean backward cases, source to graphic

My Best Regards

-Manuel

• 5. Re: About differences between jPDL editors jBPM  3.2.6 and 4.3
                  rebody

Hi Manuel,

I did a test.

First I create a GroupActivity in the source panel of GPD, then go back to designer panel, the graphical doesn't change.  That is right, because the GroupActivity had not been supported.  Then I modify position of some activity in designer panel, save, and change to source panel, the GroupActivity still here.  So I think if we use GPD to write some codes by hand, it can maintain these codes for us, even if it have not supported this Activity or attribute.  It is a good news for me.

I must say that I don't have much experisense on the GPD.  One of the reasons is it is not finished yet.  My job is developing a Web Designer for on jBPM 4, just like the jBPMEditor in the distribution.  So we could use our web designer to design process definition directly.

I am not good at eclipse plugin development, so I could just wish the GPD could go on developing.  At least, the commit of svn never stop.

• 6. Re: About differences between jPDL editors jBPM  3.2.6 and 4.3
                    dr_pompeii

Hello Huisheng

Thanks for the reply and sorry for my huge delay in this reply, busy week

So I think if we use GPD to write some codes by hand, it can maintain these codes for us, even if it have not supported this Activity or attribute.

Excellent, but would be little confuse cant see some nodes in GPD

I must say that I don't have much experisense on the GPD.  One of the reasons is it is not finished yet.

Yes, little sad about not have this functional in 100%

My job is developing a Web Designer for on jBPM 4, just like the jBPMEditor in the distribution.

I think your own project for your company or developer team?

I will do my own experiments in the incoming weeks, be sure to see many new post/threads

My best regards

-Manuel