7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2010 8:50 AM by goldmann

CirrAS instances not seeing each other in EC2

kvirkki

Hi!

I have deployed a management and front-end instances from the provided AMIs. I start the instances from command-line using the "ec2-run-instances" tools and give access_key, secret_access_key and bucket as a parameter (Base64 encoded file). I see from the management instance log that the front-end agent asks to join, but for some reason cannot see any instances in the RHQ dashboard .

Any guesses what I'm doing wrong here? Do I need to manually enable something from RHQ for the instances to be seen/managed from there?

I have also created the needed s3 bucket by hand to S3 and it's created to the same region where the EC2 instances are running. Should I see some things inside the bucket? It seems to be empty all the time...

All help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Kai

• 1. Re: CirrAS instances not seeing each other in EC2
          goldmann

Hi Kai,

The most common issue is that AWS credentials aren't encoded in right way.

Any guesses what I'm doing wrong here? Do I need to manually enable something from RHQ for the instances to be seen/managed from there?

No, everything is deployed, started and imported automatically.

Please log in to management appliance using SSH (user root, use your private key to log in) and provide the output from this files:

• /var/log/cirras-management/default.log
          • /var/log/cirras-management/thin.log

After this I can help you better.

--Marek

• 2. Re: CirrAS instances not seeing each other in EC2
            kvirkki

Does the management instance have to be up and running before starting the other instances or can they find it even when management starts after them? I started management first and then the front-end, but just wanted to know

I'll send the logs you mentioned soon, just have to restart the instances and get them...

• 3. Re: CirrAS instances not seeing each other in EC2
              goldmann
              Does the management instance have to be up and running before starting the other instances or can they find it even when management starts after them? I started management first and then the front-end, but just wanted to know

No, there is no need to start management appliance first but it is a good idea.

I'll send the logs you mentioned soon, just have to restart the instances and get them...

Thanks!

--Marek

• 4. Re: CirrAS instances not seeing each other in EC2
                kvirkki

Here are the logs you requested.

• 5. Re: CirrAS instances not seeing each other in EC2
                  goldmann

Everything looks good, but you're running one management appliance and one front-en appliance. You need to launch one or more back-end appliances (with JBoss AS) to have a cluster, see CirrAS | Appliances wiki page.

--Marek

• 6. Re: CirrAS instances not seeing each other in EC2
                    kvirkki

I started also a back-end instance and now I can see stuff in S3 too

But in RHQ I can only see the servers from Administration -> High Availability -> Agents. The dashboard shows nothing, is this expected? Maybe I need to start reading some documentation about RHQ...

Cheers,

Kai

• 7. Re: CirrAS instances not seeing each other in EC2
                      goldmann

You need to wait a few minutes so the RHQ agent can be installed on back-end, discover the services, register itself in management appliance send the discovery results and import discovered resources to RHQ inventory.

--Marek