5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2010 6:45 AM by ataylor

spring integration

avibh

after wasting a few days playing with ActiveMQ i decided to try the new HorentQ.

problem is i cant find any documentation on how to configure Spring Integration to work with a stand alone HornetQ server.

can someone please post a sample configuration?

• 1. Re: spring integration
          clebert.suconic

The only thing Spring offers in terms of JMS Integration is the JMSTemplate:

http://community.jboss.org/wiki/CanIusetheSpringJMSTemplatewithHornetQ

Which we have always asking users to avoid it, since we don't see the point of it.

We don't have anything against spring here.. I't just that you need boiler place code to avoid boiler plate code, installing connection managers.. etc, etc.

• 2. Re: spring integration
            zepag

Hello,

I tend to believe that you have nothing against Spring, though I think you mislead this person a bit by stating that Spring only provides the JMSTemplate. This may be true for production of messages (which can be done with plain JMS anyway).

Spring also provides the MessageListenerContainer, which I personnally successfully use with HornetQ, and also formerly used with JBossMQ and JBossMessaging.

Believe me when I say the level of presumed complexity is equivalent or lower to the configuration of MDBs with the various server-specific configurations needed.

http://static.springsource.org/spring/docs/2.5.5/reference/jms.html#jms-mdp

BTW HornetQ is a great product, and being able to leverage it whether through standard JavaEE, through native APIs or through de-facto standards like Spring or Guice is a key asset!

Cheers.

Pierre-Antoine.

• 3. Re: spring integration
              ataylor

I dont think we mislead the user since we are specifically talking about the JMSTemplate. We have no issues with Spring either like all other IOC containers its very useful.

I agree with you about the MessageListenerContainer and its complexity compared to MDB's, if you dont need xa, security and all the other things an ejb container gives you then why use it. But if you want to ease complexity even further just use a message listener direct .

One other point, since HornetQ is pure pojo's you will be able to deploy it via spring if you wqanted, i have already succesfull done this.

• 4. Re: spring integration
                zepag

XA and security can equally be achieved with that, though I don't want to argue about that as I'm a regular satisfied user of both MDBs and Spring's MessageListenerContainer.

As I stated in my previous message, I think HornetQ is brilliant and its POJO approach really great compared to what was formerly done in JBoss Messaging 1.x.

Your product is great and integrates with others. This is definitely virtuous and I think will increase its use.

Have a nice day and infinite Kudos for your work!

Cheers.

• 5. Re: spring integration
                  ataylor
                  I wasnt arguing with you i was agreeing and thanks for the kudos