12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2010 7:35 AM by theute

Jackrabbit in GateIn

Jackrabbit was a part of JBPortal. Is it going to be part of GateIn, and if it is, how can it be accessed?
        • 1. Re: Jackrabbit in GateIn
          theute

On JBoss Portal, Jackrabbit had to work in a singleton to work properly.

In GateIn we are now using eXo JCR, that will work on a cluster. (same spec, different implementation)

http://jboss.org/exojcr

• 2. Re: Jackrabbit in GateIn
            Right, but there is no information on how to use eXo JCR to access it. (At least nothing that I can find). Is there documentation on this, or is that coming with the CR?
            • 3. Re: Jackrabbit in GateIn
              theute

Documentation for eXo JCR can be found here:

http://wiki.exoplatform.com/xwiki/bin/view/JCR/

Usually when using GateIn you don't need to access the JCR directly yourself, it's our storage of choice.

• 4. Re: Jackrabbit in GateIn
                david.hoffman
                Will eXoJCR be the content managment system for use with the new portal?  Is there a already a JSR168 implementation somewhere?  I am not seeing anything in the context of the Gate-In portal, though I admit, I am just starting to pull back the layers.
                • 5. Re: Jackrabbit in GateIn
                  theute

Looks like you are mixing JCR and ECM, JCR is just an API for storage of any content. We use it to store the pages and portals configuration for example. eXo JCR and Jackrabbit are basically 2 implementations of the same spec.

GateIn is a portal framework, it won't ship with an ECM. The idea is to have instead an ecosystem around, for example eXo will have their ECM solution working on top of GateIn Portal. Some other people will prefer to use portlets that will use CMIS to consume content from various ECM...

• 6. Re: Jackrabbit in GateIn
                    Is there a portlet for exo ECM to run on Gatein or are there plans to have one? I cannot see the need for every person who wants to use it in Gatein to have to develop their own portlet.
                    • 7. Re: Jackrabbit in GateIn
                      theute

As I said eXo is working on having their ECM solution working on top of GateIn. It's just not tight to GateIn Portal (the core) so people can choose.

• 8. Re: Jackrabbit in GateIn

Gotcha... Which version of Gatein is it on now? Do they plan on putting it on the CR as soon as it's released?

I have started eXeDMS but the login and pasword isn't working, and I'm getting errors trying to register a new user...

• 9. Re: Jackrabbit in GateIn
                          piergiorgiolucidi

Why don't include a CMIS connector in GateIn to build the repository of the portal?

It could be very useful to use CMIS for the internal repository to store pages, portlets and other stuff.

In this way GateIn could be run on top of any repository vendor.

Many times customers don't want to have an other repository dedicated to the portal, typically they would like to have an unique repository.

A section of the repository could be dedicated to the portal with its own folder structure.

Let me know what you think about this

• 10. Re: Jackrabbit in GateIn
                            theute

I would not ship it with GateIn, but would welcome it as an add-on, same as your wiki

And listed here: http://www.jboss.org/gatein/contributions.html (Which could be more visible once we will have more to propose. Something like the good ol' portletswap)

• 11. Re: Jackrabbit in GateIn
                              piergiorgiolucidi

I hope to find the time during these days for writing a doc with a proposal for this CMIS connector

• 12. Re: Jackrabbit in GateIn
                                theute
                                Would be great