6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2006 11:18 AM by foxviewn2632

Is JBoss 4.0.4 CR2 ready for production?

foxviewn2632

I am trying to get a simple Session Bean to work. The client is below. If this is not ready I can go to J2EE 1.4 version. GarthSession is in LDAP. I saw it in JMX View JNDIView.
      Please advise.
      Thanks,

Garth

public static void main(String[] args) throws NamingException {
      Object ref = null;
      InitialContext ctx = new InitialContext();
      ctx.addToEnvironment("java.naming.factory.initial", "org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContextFactory");
      ctx.addToEnvironment("java.naming.factory.url.pkgs", "org.jboss.naming:org.jnp.interfaces");
      ctx.addToEnvironment("java.naming.provider.url","localhost");
      // ctx.addToEnvironment(Context.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY, "org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContextFactory");
      // ctx.addToEnvironment("java.naming.factory.url.pkgs", "org.jboss.naming:org.jnp.interfaces");
      // ctx.addToEnvironment(Context.PROVIDER_URL,"localhost");

ref= ctx.lookup("GarthSessionBean");
      GarthSessionRemote emp = (GarthSessionRemote)PortableRemoteObject.narrow(ref,GarthSessionRemote.class);
      // String test = emp.getAnswer();
      System.out.println("employee = " + emp.getAnswer());

• 1. Re: Is JBoss 4.0.4 CR2 ready for production?
          foxviewn2632

I have all 5 editions of Enterprise Javabeans book. Am using it as a guideline. Also using NetBeans 5.5 for IDE.

• 2. Re: Is JBoss 4.0.4 CR2 ready for production?
            foxviewn2632

The question needs to be changed somewhat. Is JBoss 4.0.4 ready for production in the EJB 3.0 form? I believe it is ready for J2EE 1.4 already.

• 3. Re: Is JBoss 4.0.4 CR2 ready for production?
              foxviewn2632

Well I have the Session Bean running now. The entity beans persistenceUnit is not being found. Still want to know if it is recommended to take EJB 3.0 into production.

• 4. Re: Is JBoss 4.0.4 CR2 ready for production?
                foxviewn2632

"foxviewn2632" wrote:
                Well I have the Session Bean running now. Now I am working on an entity beans persistenceUnit not being found. Still want to know if it is recommended to take EJB 3.0 into production.

• 5. Re: Is JBoss 4.0.4 CR2 ready for production?

In answer to your question about whether it is recommended to take EJB3 into use in production - the answer from JBoss is "yes" and "no" :-)

Let me elaborate...

JBoss do have customers who are using our EJB3 implementation in production today and we believe it has the proven stability to be used in this way.

However, it is important to note that our implementation is not yet fully compliant with the EJB3 final specification (although we have been tracking the draft process from the beginning and have a community-tested solution that is therefore very close to final spec).

JBoss do not offer their full support subscriptions for non J2EE compliant solutions within our AS so we will not formally offer Gold and Platinum support levels for EJB3. Developer support for EJB3 is included with a current JBoss AS subscription and free community support is available as ever on this site.

You can view current releases and sign-up by email to be notified of new releases at http://labs.jboss.org/portal/jbossejb3 .

Does that answer your question?

It would be interesting to hear what other people's view on this is too.

• 6. Re: Is JBoss 4.0.4 CR2 ready for production?
                    foxviewn2632

Yes, that answers my question. I have some clients that are looking at using Seam. I am looking forward to using it. I am ok with it not being totally up to spec.
                    Thanks,
                    Garth