5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2008 9:24 AM by Mark Little RSS

Apache ServiceMix and JBI

Michael Tech Newbie

Hi,

can you tell me the advantages of using JBoss ESB instead of a lightweight version like Apache ServiceMix? Is JBoss ESB 100% JBI compliant?

Greetings

Mike

• 1. Re: Apache ServiceMix and JBI
    Mark Little Master

We do not currently support JBI. However, why do you think that ServiceMix is any more lightweight than JBossESB?

• 2. Re: Apache ServiceMix and JBI
    Michael Tech Newbie

Hi,

I've seen that it is possible to deploy ServiceMix in JBoss. Thus this is the only solution to get a JBI compliant JBoss :)

ServiceMix seems to be only a small ESB. With JBoss I always associate a bigger allrounder. Maybe this is the typical misunderstanding of JBoss since it is microcontainer based :)

Greetings

Mike

• 3. Re: Apache ServiceMix and JBI
    Mark Little Master

Of course you are free to deploy whatever you want into JBoss. That's one of the benefits of having the source. Obviously support is a different matter ;-)

I suppose a follow on question would be: why do you think you need JBI?

• 4. Re: Apache ServiceMix and JBI
    Michael Tech Newbie

Hi,

I see JBI as a standardization effort for ESBs. The question is similiar as if you would ask me: Why do you need a JEE compliant Java Application Server?

I want to have a common approach for ESBs. There are some tools that create JBI compliant artefacts. I see this common specification as an important advantage in the Java enterprise world.

Greetings

Mike

• 5. Re: Apache ServiceMix and JBI
    Mark Little Master

Well JBI is a little different to JEE since the target audience is different: ESB vendors rather than EE vendors AND users.

JBI support is on our roadmap, but it's likely to be JBI 2.0. To be honest, at the moment we don't see a lot of push for JBI so obviously we've been targeting what the majority of our customers and users want.