1 2 3 Previous Next 43 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2008 12:51 PM by heiko.braun Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Maven migration

I know but we are not just leveraging the PVM as a library but we are PVM comitters as well !

So the way to work and build on the PVM has changed.

On the other side, with this move you broke our projects coherence. We could just continue working with Ivy in XPDL and BPEL extensions and move to maven for the PVM but this not make sense (BTW, Jboss coherence is the reason why you decided to move to maven !)

So know we are forced to move everything to maven !

BTW, could you tell me more about the remaining refactorings you planed on the PVM ? is the move to maven finished ?

• 16. Re: Maven migration
          heiko.braun

So know we are forced to move everything to maven

I still don't see why this is necessary. Your build is something that I consider independent from the PVM. However in order to contribute you'll need to get used to the maven build, that's right.

If you are leveraging the PVM then you should only rely on the API that's available through released artifacts.
          The build system and repository locations are subject to change.

• 17. Re: Maven migration
            heiko.braun

... refactorings planed on the PVM?

It may happen that we break up the PVM into more discrete modules.
            I.e. core, integration, client, util, test. But this will be discussed publicly.

• 18. Re: Maven migration

I still don't see why this is necessary. Your build is something that I consider independent from the PVM. However in order to contribute you'll need to get used to the maven build, that's right.

If you are leveraging the PVM then you should only rely on the API that's available through released artifacts.
              The build system and repository locations are subject to change.

Is more a conceptual issue than a technical one. We moved to Ivy XPDL and BPEL extensions (Bonita and Orchestra projects respectively) because it was decided to use Ivy at PVM level (which is the core engine of our solutions).

If the PVM is now based on maven there is no sense for us to still using Ivy...

It may happen that we break up the PVM into more discrete modules.
              I.e. core, integration, client, util, test. But this will be discussed publicly

Is not just a matter of discussing publicly but we must first agree together (Jboss-Bull) how to proceed.

Two weeks ago I was discussing with Tom about the steps to be performed before release the PVM 1.0. This includes code freeze and stress testing so i would like to set up an action plan for that.

As Tom is currently on vacations, could you explain me what are the next steps you will perform until he comes back ? this will allow to planify our developments and related work on the PVM next week.

• 19. Re: Maven migration
                heiko.braun

could you explain me what are the next steps you will perform until he comes back

Currently I do have nothing on my plate. Maven and Hudson have been the things I wanted to get done while he's on vacation. We should discuss how to proceed when Tom is back, because I havn't been involved so far.

• 20. Re: Maven migration

thanks, on our side we will check the new "mavenized" project and continue the ongoing work on EL (JSR based) relating to timers.

regards,
                  Miguel Valdes

• 21. Re: Maven migration
                    heiko.braun

Yep, let me know when you run into trouble.

• 22. Re: Maven migration
                      heiko.braun

This documentation is for jPDL 4, but the same instructions apply to the PVM build:
                      http://jbpm.dyndns.org/jbpmwiki/index.php?title=JBPM4BuildingfromSource

• 23. Re: Maven migration
                        dlopezleon

Hi Heiko, I'm really happy about this switch to maven. I have been using it in all my projects with great results.
                        But I have to desagree in a little thing. Why do you need the jbpm-parent?. I know that you'll have to duplicate a lot of boilerplate xml in each pom, but having this common root for them maybe is not 'semantically' correct, beeing in fact that all of us want three independent projects (jbpm-api, pvm and jbpmX). Beside that, it adds a new level of complexity for one who just want to build i.e. the pvm project. He must to checkout and install jbpm-parent too and if you want to develop over it, when you plan build it you'll have to remember to update the other project too... this cycle sounds a little uncomfortable for me.
                        Regards.

• 24. Re: Maven migration
                          porcherg

the eclipse configuration for the pvm with maven (https://svn.jboss.org/repos/jbpm/pvm/trunk) is missing.
                          Is the migration complete ? Can we start working on the "mavenized" pvm ?

regards,
                          Guillaume

• 25. Re: Maven migration
                            heiko.braun

the eclipse configuration...

Someone else needs to contribute that, because I am not using eclipse. But feel free to add it to the repository.

• 26. Re: Maven migration
                              heiko.braun

Why do you need the jbpm-parent?

We don't. I just started with a common parent. But we can have the PVM independent from the remaining jBPM modules.

• 27. Re: Maven migration
                                heiko.braun

BTW, do all of have Jira accounts for jBPM? It would help spreading the work load across people, in case you'd like to contribute...

I.e. removing the jbpm-parent.

• 28. Re: Maven migration
                                  porcherg

"heiko.braun@jboss.com" wrote:
                                  BTW, do all of have Jira accounts for jBPM? It would help spreading the work load across people, in case you'd like to contribute...

We (Bull guys) have Jira accounts, but not any rights on jbpm projects (we cannot assign tasks). Tom has been informed of this problem.
                                  Can you add us to the list of jbpm jira users ?

regards,
                                  Guillaume

• 29. Re: Maven migration
                                    porcherg

PVM examples does not compile in the "mavenized" revision of the pvm (in org.jbpm.pvm.samples). This is due to a refactoring in the pvm sources. The examples in the "ant" pvm have been updated.

Which revision of the pvm has been used for the switch ?

regards, Guillaume.