7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2006 8:35 AM by aron.gombas

Basic installation help

ibrown

Hi,
      I'm evaluating using kosmos and cruise control at the moment. I'm new to the world of application and portal servers, so please bear with me if I'm doing something stupid.

To keep the process as simple as possible, I have installed all of the release components out of the box. I am running on WinXP with Java JDK 1.5.0_09

From jboss I have downloaded the file jboss-portal-2.4.0-bundled.zip and unzipped it into the c:\jboss directory. This zip contains both the server and the portal server.

Next, I have downloaded kosmos-0.2.0RC2-for-jboss-portal.zip and unzipped that to c:\jboss too.

Now, I copy the 3 war directories (kosmos-portlet.war, kosmos-server.war and slide.war) from C:\jboss\kosmos-0.2.0RC2-for-jboss-portal\deploy into C:\jboss\jboss-portal-2.4.0\server\default\deploy

Then (with JDK_HOME set correctly), I open a command prompt, change directory to C:\jboss\jboss-portal-2.4.0\bin and then invoke the run batch file.

After a minute or so, the output tells me that the server is installed and so I open the page http://localhost:8080/portal and sure enough it is there with a kosmos tab. When I go to the kosmos tab, however, not all is well in the world.
      Each of the portal windows (if that is the correct terminology) has the heading 'cannot render' and then an Object not found message in the body. Is this to be expected? It looks like something has gone wrong. A quick cut and paste from the internet explorer page gives the following text:

Cannot render
      Object not found KosmosDependenciesSfMonitoringPortletInstance

Cannot render
      Object not found KosmosToolsSfMonitoringPortletInstance

Cannot render
      Object not found JBossProductsSfMonitoringPortletInstance

Cannot render
      Object not found JBossSvnMonitoringPortletInstance

Cannot render
      Object not found GmfCcMonitoringPortletInstance

Cannot render
      Object not found JBossCcMonitoringPortletInstance

Cannot render
      Object not found AtlassianJiraMonitoringPortletInstance

Cannot render
      Object not found CodehausJiraMonitoringPortletInstance

Cannot render
      Object not found JBossJiraMonitoringPortletInstance

Cannot render
      Object not found JBossJiraSoapMonitoringPortletInstance

If I navigate to http://localhost:8080/kosmos-server/ then I see a directrory listing, so it would appear that is happy. The same goes for slide.

Can someone point out what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Ian

• 1. Re: Basic installation help
          ibrown

update: it seems that if I go into the admin pages and create an instance of each one of the missing objects by hand then I can get it to work.
          Did I do something wrong with the deployment, or is this expected?

Ian

• 2. Re: Basic installation help
            aron.gombas

Hi Ian!

It seems you did everything right.

I remember I had the same exact problem with JBP 2.4 months ago, when that was in "preview" stage. I couldn't find any problem with my descriptors (portlet.xml and such), so I posted a bug report to their JIRA. It seems the problem still exist... Could you double check your config files if everything seems consistent with other JBP portlet configurations? If you could find the problem, I'd be very interested.

• 3. Re: Basic installation help
              masood

could somebody give me a detailed installation guide on kosmos

• 4. Re: Basic installation help
                aron.gombas

You can find the Ref Manual at the project website here: http://labs.jboss.com/portal/kosmos/reference-manual.html

It contains step-by-step installation guide sections. HTH.

• 5. Re: Basic installation help
                  masood

hi i am facing the exact problem described by ibrown. The instances are not rendering other than this is there anything else like should i install tomcat seperately here or Apache ant and other components to make the object render
                  How do i create an instance.....???

• 6. Re: Basic installation help
                    masood

Typically i need Jira and SVN monitoring portlets running. I am very new to this? since i am an embeded programmer. Could somebody help me out to getting it running.
                    Also the server running throws exceptons and stdout errors when it tries to invoke kosmos-portlet.war and kosmos-servelet.war

• 7. Re: Basic installation help
                      aron.gombas

> is there anything else like should i install
                      > tomcat seperately here or Apache ant and
                      > other components to make the object render
                      Have you read the Reference Manual?

>Also the server running throws exceptons and stdout errors
                      >when it tries to invoke kosmos-portlet.war and kosmos-servelet.war
                      Could you paste your stack trace here?