5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2007 4:10 PM by dhartford

ejb3/seam-gwt-remoting/gwt w/ DTO, JPA?

dhartford

Is there an example somewhere of using the EJB3/Seam remoting and GWT with a DTO, or preferably JPA(ejb3 entity)?

When trying the DTO approach, it looks like Seam expects the @Name annotation for using the DTO -- at which point, GWT doesn't like the DTO because of the annotation.

Does an example exist, or could someone whip one up to proof from?

thanky,
      -D

• 1. Re: ejb3/seam-gwt-remoting/gwt w/ DTO, JPA?
          dhartford

I created a POJO without any annotations (no @NAME) and is only a simple javabean class (DTO).

I added an empty seam.properties to the root of the jar, and under META-INF I added a components.xml:
          ==========

==========

Unfortunately, I'm getting the following warning when attempting to deploy:
          ==========
          11:49:26,771 WARN [Initialization] namespace declared in components.xml does not resolve to a package annotated @Namespace:
          ==========

Is this warning something to be concerned about - is @Name annotation a requirement to expose a DTO for Seam-GWT remoting?

• 2. Re: ejb3/seam-gwt-remoting/gwt w/ DTO, JPA?
            dhartford

<components>

<component name="com.domain.app.model.SimpleDTO"
             class="com.domain.app.model.SimpleDTO">
             </component>

</components>

• 3. Re: ejb3/seam-gwt-remoting/gwt w/ DTO, JPA?
              dhartford

jboss 4.2.1
              seam 2.0.0.ga
              gwt 1.4.60
              jdk6

Still can not seem to find a way to get a DTO to work with Seam-GWT remoting.

Using the components.xml approach to avoid annotations on the DTO side, and the problem I'm getting from the GWT service call is:

java.lang.ClassCastException

from

instance.gwtTestDto(new AsyncCallback(){

public void onFailure(Throwable caught) {
               root.add(new Label("gwtTestDto had a failure: " + caught + " === " + caught.fillInStackTrace() + " ==== " + GWT.getTypeName(caught) ));

}

Everything else seems to look o.k., org.jboss.seam DEBUG does not show anything, no errors are displayed in the server log (both console and file).

• 4. Re: ejb3/seam-gwt-remoting/gwt w/ DTO, JPA?
                dhartford

The wireshark/ethereal response to the browser shows (paraphrased):

//EX[1,["com.domain.app.model.SimpleDTO/2620797990 "],0,3]

which then shows ClassCastException from the RPC/server side.

• 5. Re: ejb3/seam-gwt-remoting/gwt w/ DTO, JPA?
                  dhartford

resolved:

Although GWT 1.4 supports DTO's implementing java.io.Serializable, the SEAM GWT Remoting does not appear to recognize this and will only work correctly when a DTO implements the com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc.IsSerializable.