7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2009 11:12 AM by kukeltje

how to start job executor

armita

How can I start jobExecutor and configure it in jbpm4? Does it starts automatically or should I start manually?

• 1. Re: how to start job executor
          shiyeling

I imported the job executor configuration file to the jbpm config.

<import resource="jbpm.jobexecutor.cfg.xml" />

but it do not start automatically when the program runs.

I found the code to start it programmatically from the JobExecutorThread class.

But, do we have to do this?

• 2. Re: how to start job executor
            jbarrez

Adding the import to you jbpm.cfg.xml should do the trick. How are you testing the job executor?

• 3. Re: how to start job executor
              shiyeling

I'm using a Java class with a main method to test the job executor.
              I start a thread parse command line from console and invoke jbpm execution services.

The behavior is:
              Job executor does not start with process engine,
              But when I create new process instance which has timer defined, it starts automatically.

FYI.
              I looked up the source code, found the problem might be:
              in JbpmConfiguration

protected WireContext processEngineWireContext = new WireContext(new WireDefinition(), Context.CONTEXTNAME_PROCESS_ENGINE);

configuration object have a WireContext object created before parsing any configuration, and the WireContext will do:
               initializeEagerObjects();
               fire(EVENT_OPEN, null);

when it is created. But, at that time, there is not configuration file parsed so eager initialization won't have anything to do.

When user try to schedule a job( timer) and open a new Environment, the eager initialize method is invoked in runtime.

Currently we could start the job executor with the servlet or a spring initializing bean.

• 4. Re: how to start job executor

I'm seeing exactly the same behaviour using this code:

ProcessEngine processEngine=new Configuration().setResource("my.jbpm.cfg.xml").buildProcessEngine();
                RepositoryService repositoryService = processEngine.getRepositoryService();
                ExecutionService executionService = processEngine.getExecutionService();

my.jbpm.cfg.xml:

<jbpm-configuration>
                <import resource="jbpm.default.cfg.xml"/>
                <import resource="jbpm.tx.hibernate.cfg.xml"/>
                <import resource="jbpm.jpdl.cfg.xml"/>
                <import resource="jbpm.jobexecutor.cfg.xml" />
                </jbpm-configuration>

On startup the timers are not fired, however the moment I execute this line of code:

String id=executionService.startProcessInstanceByKey(workflowName,ParameterHelper.getParameters(parameters)).getId();

All the timers that were stored up in the DB fire.

My current nasty hack is to have a dummy with this code (doing one without a timer doesn't work either):

<process name="Dummy" xmlns="http://jbpm.org/4.0/jpdl">
                <start name="a">
                <transition to="b"/>
                </start>
                <state name="b">
                <transition to="c" name="toc">
                <timer duedate="1 second" />
                </transition>
                </state>
                <end name="c"/>
                </process>

And the line:

executionService.startProcessInstanceByKey("Dummy");

In the main.

Does anyone know if we're doing something wrong, or if this should be reported as a bug?

Thanks!

- Kit

• 5. Re: how to start job executor
                  shiyeling

Instead of starting a dummy workflow, you can tell the jobExecutor to start programatically. The following code is from JobExecutorServlet.

EnvironmentFactory environmentFactory = (EnvironmentFactory) new Configuration().setResource(configurationResource).buildProcessEngine();
                   jobExecutor = environmentFactory.get(JobExecutor.class);
                   if (jobExecutor==null) {
                   throw new JbpmException("no job executor configured in resource "+configurationResource);
                   }
                   jobExecutor.start();

you can do this any where you can get the process engine object.
                  Servlet for web apps or spring initializing bean.

• 6. Re: how to start job executor
                    marcel.de.koster

I also added the programmatic timer start using the TaskExecuter via the ProcessEngine interface (you do not need to cast to a specific class).

But shouldn't it be possible to do this:

<bpm-configuration>
                    <process-engine-context>
                    <job-executor auto-start="true" />
                    </process-engine-context>

</jbpm-configuration>

For me the above code doesn't work. Only programmatic starting of job executor.

• 7. Re: how to start job executor
                      kukeltje

Technically yes (to a certain extend), practically no (due to the limitations of this 'certain extend')

Shiyeling menthioned them already: Many usecases of using jBPM in different environments. e.g. you cannot start a thread from a normal class in many appservers, you needs startup servlets for this..