10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2012 5:45 AM by apanag

TransactionManager and UserTransaction

All,

I have a simple spring application working on other app servers but cannot get it going on JBoss (V4). If I use the hibernate transaction manager then everything is fine, but if I try to use the spring JtaTransactionManager then I run into problems....

<bean id="transactionManager" class="org.springframework.transaction.jta.JtaTransactionManager">
      <bean>

This gives me the following error:

JTA UserTransaction is not available at JNDI location [java:comp/UserTransaction]; nested exception is javax.naming.NamingException: Object [org.jboss.tm.usertx.client.ServerVMClientUserTransaction@91cc3a] available at JNDI location [java:comp/UserTransaction] does not implement [javax.transaction.UserTransaction]

and this ....

<bean id="transactionManager" class="org.springframework.transaction.jta.JtaTransactionManager">
       <property name="userTransactionName"><null/></property>
       <property name="transactionManagerName">
       <value>java:/TransactionManager</value>
       </property>
      </bean>

This gives me the following error:

JTA TransactionManager is not available at JNDI location [java:/TransactionManager]; nested exception is javax.naming.NamingException: Object [org.jboss.tm.TxManager@ffce21] available at JNDI location [java:/TransactionManager] does not implement [javax.transaction.TransactionManager]

I have tried numerous other alternatives but with no joy. I am running on the default JBoss server and assume that I am missing something in the setup. Both transactionmanager and usertransaction can be seen in the JBoss jndi admin console. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: TransactionManager and UserTransaction
          bill.burke

It looks like you are having classloader issues. Does spring come bundled with classes javax.transaction.*? I ask this because both ServerVMClientUserTransaction and TxManager implement the interfaces spring is telling you the don't.

Let me know if this fixes it.

• 2. Re: TransactionManager and UserTransaction

Bill,

Thanks for your quick reply - yes I noticed that both the JBoss classes implement the relevent interfaces so I was looking for where I had messed up... Following your post, I noticed I had jta.jar in my war file, so I got rid of it and everything is now working fine.

Thanks for your help,
            John

• 3. Re: TransactionManager and UserTransaction
              redijedi

I'm getting the same error, except I do not have any jta.jar in my jboss-4.0.3SP1 (all) install. Is this something that must be added in afterwards? I chose the all selection in the installer, and confirmed in the detailed option that it was installing JTA.

What was the final spring configuration for the transactionManager?

Thanks,
              T

• 4. Re: TransactionManager and UserTransaction
                redijedi

Nevermind. I got it. You do have to specify a name, apparently. It also must be "UserTransaction" as in:

<bean id="transactionManager"
                 class="org.springframework.transaction.jta.JtaTransactionManager">
                 <property name="userTransactionName">
                 <value>UserTransaction</value>
                 </property>
                 </bean>

Then it seems to work...mysterious.

• 5. Re: TransactionManager and UserTransaction
                  javatwo

I am trying to use JTA UserTransaction. I have JBoss 4.0.3 SP1. Where is the JTA jar file? I could not find it. Do you I need to download from sun?
                  which jar is The class javax.transaction.UserTransaction in?

Thanks for help

• 6. Re: TransactionManager and UserTransaction
                    alesj

It's in jboss-j2ee.jar.

• 7. Re: TransactionManager and UserTransaction

Hi guys

Im having the same problem. Im trying to connect to the TransactionManager and get the same error. I've gone through the jar files i deploy in the WAR file and there is no jta.jar or any other jar file containnig javax.transaction.TransactionManager. Still it get the

[java:/TransactionManager] is not assignable to [javax.transaction.TransactionManager].

I get that it must be that i have the wrong TransactionManager class in the classpath somewhere but I cant find it. Is there any one who solved it who can give me some tips?

P:s I also had the jta.jar file in my war file before but I removed it but still the same outcome. D:s

THX, Cheers
                      Magnus

• 8. Re: TransactionManager and UserTransaction
                        bmcgovern

I'm having the exact same problem, and have not found jta.jar anywhere. I noticed in the web-console that under J2EE Resources, there is an entity called TransactionManager, but i can view no properties on it. Should i be able to?

In general, does anyone have a good idea how to solve the problem here:

JTA TransactionManager is not available at JNDI location [java:/TransactionManager]; nested exception is javax.naming.NamingException: Object [org.jboss.tm.TxManager@ffce21] available at JNDI location [java:/TransactionManager] does not implement [javax.transaction.TransactionManager]

• 9. Re: TransactionManager and UserTransaction

Quick check ..
                          see how many jars you have with JTA in it in all your lib folders :P

then in your
                          <.ear>/.war/WEB-INF/lib

move the jta.jar (if here) to a different folder outside the classpath

• 10. Re: TransactionManager and UserTransaction
                            apanag

It's exactly like this, I  had the same problem with Spring and JBoss 4.2. Exception

Caused by: org.springframework.transaction.TransactionSystemException:

JTA TransactionManager is not available at JNDI location [java:/TransactionManager];

nested exception is

org.springframework.jndi.TypeMismatchNamingException:

Object of type [class org.jboss.tm.TxManager]

available at JNDI location [java:/TransactionManager] is not assignable

to [javax.transaction.TransactionManager]

My application had added in the EAR its own JTA library, thus this one was used instead of the jta that comes from JBoss.

I use maven, so excluding the JTA artifacts in my pom solved the problem.

<dependency>
                                <groupId>org.hibernate</groupId>
                                <artifactId>hibernate-validator</artifactId>
                                <exclusions>
                                     <exclusion>
                                         <groupId>javax.transaction</groupId>
                                         <artifactId>jta</artifactId>
                                      </exclusion>
                                </exclusions>
                            </dependency>
                            <dependency>
                                <groupId>org.quartz-scheduler</groupId>