14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2006 4:18 PM by ralfq72

InitialContext()

Which way should we call InitalContext now?

According to this file
      http://docs.jboss.org/ejb3/embedded/embedded-tutorial/embedded-war/src/EmbeddedEJB3.jsp it looks like it can be called both ways.

Way #1:

InitialContext ctx = getInitialContext();
       CustomerDAOLocal local = (CustomerDAOLocal) ctx.lookup(CustomerDAOLocal.class.getName());

Way#2:
      Queue queue = (Queue) getInitialContext().lookup("queue/mdbtest");

public static InitialContext getInitialContext() throws Exception
       {
       Hashtable props = getInitialContextProperties();
       return new InitialContext(props);
       }

private static Hashtable getInitialContextProperties()
       {
       Hashtable props = new Hashtable();
       props.put("java.naming.factory.initial", "org.jnp.interfaces.LocalOnlyContextFactory");
       props.put("java.naming.factory.url.pkgs", "org.jboss.naming:org.jnp.interfaces");
       return props;
       }

• 1. Re: InitialContext()
          bill.burke

Yikes, I think I forgot to test the embedded war example!

it should be:

CustomerDAOLocal local = (CustomerDAOLocal) ctx.lookup("CustomerDAOBean/local");

• 2. Re: InitialContext()

So then it was choice 3? :)

so when do we use way #2? Where we have to define our own static hashtable. Or is that just for a specific case that most people won't use?

Also, what do we do with way#3 when it's not specifically set to remote or local? My beans currently don't have a local or remote tag...just public interface MyClassName

• 3. Re: InitialContext()
              bill.burke

There two different concepts here:

#1 Getting a javax.naming.InitialContext. When using E-EJB3 within a WAR (in Tomcat for example), you must set the InitialContext properties as shown as JBoss uses its own JNDI implementation within E-EJB3 even within Tomcat. We may fix this in the future.

#2 The lookup of the EJB which, by default uses the form:

"EJB-NAME/local" or "EJB-NAME/remote". See the docs, WIKI, and release notes for more detail.

• 4. Re: InitialContext()

So if my Stateless bean does not have a local/remote, I cannot call it using InitialContext???

I'm assuming this is what's leading to my

javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: myPath.myClass not bound

exception.

Do I have to make an empty @Local bean which extends my interface class?

• 5. Re: InitialContext()
                  bill.burke

Your bean class must implementat at least one interface. If these interfaces are nto annotated with @Remote or @Local, the EJB container assumes they are local interfaces. To look up a local interface do:

initialContext.lookup("EJB-NAME/local");

where EJB-NAME is the unqualified bean class name

• 6. Re: InitialContext()

ok, I already have it set up like that, so all my beans have a local interface. Now that I changed the InitialContext.lookup to "BeanName/local") I am getting another error as a result

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: For EJB MyCustomBean could not find jndi binding based on interface only for @EJB(myPath.MyCustomBean) not used by any EJBs
                     at org.jboss.ejb3.injection.EJBHandler.getJndiName(EJBHandler.java:216)
                     at org.jboss.ejb3.injection.EJBHandler.loadFieldInjectors(EJBHandler.java:326)
                     at org.jboss.ejb3.injection.EJBHandler.loadInjectors(EJBHandler.java:78)
                     at org.jboss.ejb3.injection.EJBHandler.loadInjectors(EJBHandler.java:57)
                     at org.jboss.ejb3.EJBContainer.resolveInjectors(EJBContainer.java:651)
                     at org.jboss.ejb3.EJBContainer.initializePool(EJBContainer.java:586)
                     at org.jboss.ejb3.EJBContainer.start(EJBContainer.java:518)
                     at org.jboss.ejb3.SessionContainer.start(SessionContainer.java:82)
                     at org.jboss.ejb3.stateless.StatelessContainer.start(StatelessContainer.java:80)
                     ... 126 more

• 7. Re: InitialContext()

My setup is the following

@Stateless
                      public SomeClass{
                       @EJB
                       MyCustomBean myBean;
                      }

SomeClass and MyCustomBean both reside in the same folder and same .ejb3 jar file.

• 8. Re: InitialContext()

Hmm, if I'm calling it as @EJB MyCustomBean, then the InitialContext.lookup isn't the problem here...

This worked with the previous release RC3.

The only thing I can think of is my ear structure. Do I have to have everything end in .jar for this to work?
                        Currently I have something like this...

MyTest.ear
                        - MyTest.ejb3 (EJB3 beans)
                        - MyTest.par (Entity beans)
                        - MyTest.jar (Regular beans
                        - MyTest.war (Jsp/Servlets)

• 9. Re: InitialContext()
                          bill.burke

Don't be mad but you need to learn EJB 101. You don't reference bean classes directly. YOu reference their interfaces:

@Stateless
                          public class MyCustomBean implements MyCustom {
                          }

@Stateless
                          public SomeClass implemetns ... {

@EJB MyCustom
                          }

• 10. Re: InitialContext()

Yeah I usually do call it by the interface name.

However in one of the tutorials I downloaded I noticed the lookup was called using the bean directly
                            BeanName/local

Instead of the interface.

So i assumed it changed between versions.

I still have it as
                            @EJB MyBeanInterface

but I changed lookups to "MyBeanDirectly/local"

However I'm still getting an exception with the @EJB tag.

• 11. Re: InitialContext()

The example I saw it on was here:
                              ...\jboss-EJB-3.0_RC4-PFD\jboss-EJB-3.0_RC4-PFD\docs\tutorial\stateless\src\org\jboss\tutorial\stateless\client\Client.java

InitialContext ctx = new InitialContext();
                               Calculator calculator = (Calculator) ctx.lookup("CalculatorBean/remote");

And CalculatorBean is as follows
                              @Stateless
                              public class CalculatorBean implements CalculatorRemote, CalculatorLocal
                              {
                              }

• 12. Re: InitialContext()

Hmm, odd it seems as though you do use the beanname convention to get it working

InitialContext.lookup(EAR_FILE_NAME/BEAN_NAME/local);

• 13. Re: InitialContext()
                                  ralfq72

Yep, that's it.
                                  I had the same problem. It worked when I deployed the ejb3 jar file standalone, but it didn't work when I used an ear.

So I followed your recommendations and found out, that the exact name of the session bean deployed within an ear is:

InitialContext.lookup(EAR_FILE_NAME_WITHOUT_EXTENSION/BEAN_NAME/local);

Thanks

• 14. Re: InitialContext()
                                    ralfq72

I was just thinking it that's really the way it's supposed to be? The client should and must not know about the filename of the ear. I consider this as a workaround.