8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2009 8:18 PM by kukeltje

Beta6 remaining issues

kukeltje

Hi all,

When looking at the remaining issues for Beta6, I notice that there are only some library issues remaining. Does that mean it is stable enough to be used? I'd like to give the web-ui a try.

Also, what is the state of showing calling/referencing classes with 2.0? I see some JVMTI code so I hope it is already somewhat usable. Since there are no specific jira issues for this, I really do not have a clue.

Thanks in advance for an answer and for a usable, but yet simple (to use) tool.

• 1. Re: Beta6 remaining issues
          jesper.pedersen

It means that the web ui is work in progress - but the core application is stable.

You can use the command line client to generate HTML reports.

The JVMTI code is also work in progress.

In short there are plenty of areas you can help out in ;)

HTH

• 2. Re: Beta6 remaining issues
            kukeltje

ok, I have a fair amount of JSF/Richfaces / experience (made a custom jBPM JSF/Richfaces based console that works with jBPM 3.2 and 4.x). So I'll try to enhance that so you guys can focus on the JVMTI stuff (not my cup of tea)

Are there any lists with requirements?

• 3. Re: Beta6 remaining issues
              jesper.pedersen

The first goal would be to have a web ui that can generate the same reports as the command line client.

There is some code in the project already, and Lucius is also working in this area.

So check out the developer guide (and the user guide for requirements). It is basically

ant web

Post your ideas on the forum, attach your patches to JIRA (feel free to assign them to me) and let me know if you have any questions.

You can check out the command line client to see how it interacts with the agent.

TIA!

• 4. Re: Beta6 remaining issues
                kukeltje

I've already checked out the code and tried playing with it.

Generating reports and loading them has one major issue for me. Is it allowed to store them somewhere on the filesystem? You do not want to keep them in memory and serve them from there do you?

One small other remark:

One of the things that needs documenting though is how to work with getSnapshot, snapshot, save, load etc.. it is kind of confusing ;-) this all in combination with storing data (not the html) in file, not in memory. I do not seem to be able to get that to work AND get a snapshot from it.

btw, I saw you are also working on the JCA implementation of JBoss. What is the best forum to ask about a 'transactional file store' so it can kind of run in a transaction? It does not need to be fully 100% safe, just in a way that I do not have to program a lot myself.

Kind of what is in "7.2.5. A Sample Skeleton JCA Resource Adaptor" in http://docs.jboss.org/jbossas/jboss4guide/r4/html/ch7.chapt.html but then 'fully' implemented

• 5. Re: Beta6 remaining issues
                  jesper.pedersen

Is it allowed to store them somewhere on the filesystem? You do not want to keep them in memory and serve them from there do you?

What ever is easiest to start with - first goal is just to have something running.

One of the things that needs documenting though is how to work with getSnapshot, snapshot, save, load etc.. it is kind of confusing ;-) this all in combination with storing data (not the html) in file, not in memory. I do not seem to be able to get that to work AND get a snapshot from it.

Yeah, the documentation could be more clear - "getSnapshot" downloads an existing snapshot from the agent and generate the reports, "snapshot" stops the profiler and downloads that snapshot, "save" downloads a snapshot from the agent and "load" generates the reports for a snapshot.

What is the best forum to ask about a 'transactional file store

The JCA user forum

• 6. Re: Beta6 remaining issues
                    jaikiran

"kukeltje" wrote:

btw, I saw you are also working on the JCA implementation of JBoss. What is the best forum to ask about a 'transactional file store' so it can kind of run in a transaction? It does not need to be fully 100% safe, just in a way that I do not have to program a lot myself.

Just a FYI - http://www.jboss.org/jbosstm/fileio/.

• 7. Re: Beta6 remaining issues
                      kukeltje

WOW.... Just a FYI? Thanks man...

18 pages of documentation even.... This should be put somewhere more prominently, more visible... I'll try it out tomorrow and if it works, I'll blog about it...I searched the web a lot, did not find a lot and now, in the end, JBosss has something themselves.... Great.

• 8. Re: Beta6 remaining issues
                        kukeltje

Ok, could not resist and already took a quick look.

It is transactional file handling, only not quite as I'd like it (no offence). This could/should be wrapped in a JCA for the requirements we have and be able to run in CMT. So things like closing the file after the transaction completed (required in this implementation) should be done 'automagically'.

http://wernli.nine.ch/web/guest/52 does this already, and 'just' needs some JBoss 'wrappers'.

See http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4269511#4269511 and http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4269883#4269883 (sorry for the fragmentation ;-). If something works, I'll make sure to blog about it. Unfortunately the work on the ui for the profiler has to be postponed to January (also because of this and an important jBPM release)