6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2009 12:11 PM by boercher

JBoss Profiler Installation in Windows - questions

qa

Hi all,

I'm absolutely new in JBoss technology.

I have two PCs in my workplace (both in our local network):
      1. Windows XP Professional Version 2002 SP3 with JBoss 4.0.5.GA installed
      2. Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP4 with JBoss 3.2.1 installed

We have web-application working under JBoss.
      Initially, I have to test this application located in the 1-st PC (Win XP) with JBoss Profiler.

I'm already loaded jboss-profiler-1.0.CR4.zip from jbossprofiler download page. It is most popular version there.

The questions are:
      1. How install this profiler to JBoss (Windows XP)? - This is the main question!
      2. How to make it for Windows 2000 Advance Server?
      3. That difference between 1.0 CR4.zip (that I have) and 1.0 RC3.zip in my case?

I loaded and quickly read jboss-profiler.pdf but don't understand how to install profiler to my PC(s).
      So, I need to know steps sequence (in common) to do that and some details too.

Thank you for any your advises,

qa

• 1. Re: JBoss Profiler Installation in Windows - questions
          _eric_

Hi qa,

until now you got no answer. I'm starting to with the profiler version jboss-profiler-2.0.Beta3.SP1, so we are brothers in pain ;-)

Initially, take a look to the read me. In my case there is a section "Deployment in JBoss Application Server" telling to copy what files to what place. The thing with the JAVA_OPTS is described close to the end of the readme. After I did all that things I get the following output when starting the server. I hpe one of the experts can explain a little bit more.

JAVA_OPTS: -Dprogram.name=run.bat -server -Xms128m -Xmx512m -XX:+CMSPermGenSweepingEnabled -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInte
          rval=3600000 -Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=3600000 -javaagent:jboss-profiler.jar -Djboss-profiler.properties=jboss-profiler.properties

CLASSPATH: C:\Programme\Java\jdk1.6.0_13\lib\tools.jar;C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\user\Eigene Dateien\workspace\orgavision\jboss\bin\run.jar

===============================================================================

Please use CMSClassUnloadingEnabled in place of CMSPermGenSweepingEnabled in the future
          JBoss Profiler 2.0.Beta3.SP1 (Sun Microsystems Inc. 1.6.0_13)
          WARNING: Javassist not detected - the profiler will not be enabled
          Exception in thread "main" java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
           at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
           at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
           at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
           at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
           at sun.instrument.InstrumentationImpl.loadClassAndStartAgent(InstrumentationImpl.java:323)
           at sun.instrument.InstrumentationImpl.loadClassAndCallPremain(InstrumentationImpl.java:338)
          Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javassist/ClassPool
           at org.jboss.profiler.agent.JavassistTransformer.<init>(JavassistTransformer.java:52)
           at org.jboss.profiler.agent.Agent.boot(Agent.java:889)
           at org.jboss.profiler.agent.Agent.premain(Agent.java:848)
           ... 6 more
          FATAL ERROR in native method: processing of -javaagent failed

• 2. Re: JBoss Profiler Installation in Windows - questions
            _eric_

the javassist.jar should be mentioned in the README.txt, too. I put it to the bin-directory as well.

• 3. Re: JBoss Profiler Installation in Windows - questions
              jesper.pedersen

JBoss Profiler 1.0 and JBoss Profiler 2.0 are two very different things.

JBoss Profiler 1.0 is a log based JVMTI profiler.

JBoss Profiler 2.0 is currently a Java5+ profiler. Work is being done on a RichFaces UI and a JVMTI/HPROF backend.

I have converted the documentation for JBoss Profiler 2 to Docbook that generates HTML and PDF as the result. Please, checkout the branch in SVN.

As for javasisst.jar in bin/ -- seems like you are running JBoss AS 4.2 and the requirement is listed in the new documentation.

It will be released in JBoss 2.0.0.Beta4 - hopefully together with the initial version of the web ui.

HTH

• 4. Re: JBoss Profiler Installation in Windows - questions

Hi,

I am using jboss-profiler-2.0beta3.sp1 on jboss AS 4.2.2. After doing all the necessary setup I ran the snapshot command
                java -jar jboss-profiler-client.jar snapshot
                and got socket connection error as below. I have even change the port on jboss-profiler.properties to my web server port and still the port 5400 error came up. Where can I change this port configuration or is there anything else I am missing.

Thank you.

C:\apps\jboss-profiler-2.0.Beta3.SP1>java -jar jboss-profiler-client.jar snapshot
                2009-05-05 10:21:04,747 ERROR [org.jboss.profiler.client.cmd.Client] Can not get connection to server. Problem establishing socket connection for InvokerLocator [socket:/
                /localhost:5400/]
                org.jboss.remoting.CannotConnectException: Can not get connection to server. Problem establishing socket connection for InvokerLocator [socket://localhost:5400/]
                 at org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.MicroSocketClientInvoker.transport(MicroSocketClientInvoker.java:530)
                 at org.jboss.remoting.MicroRemoteClientInvoker.invoke(MicroRemoteClientInvoker.java:122)
                 at org.jboss.remoting.Client.invoke(Client.java:1550)
                 at org.jboss.remoting.Client.invoke(Client.java:530)
                 at org.jboss.remoting.Client.invoke(Client.java:518)
                 at org.jboss.profiler.client.cmd.Client.main(Client.java:260)
                Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
                 at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
                 at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:333)
                 at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:195)
                 at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:182)
                 at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:366)
                 at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:519)
                 at org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.SocketClientInvoker.createSocket(SocketClientInvoker.java:187)
                 at org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.MicroSocketClientInvoker.getConnection(MicroSocketClientInvoker.java:801)
                 at org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.MicroSocketClientInvoker.transport(MicroSocketClientInvoker.java:526)

• 5. Re: JBoss Profiler Installation in Windows - questions

Hi,
                  After some try and error I have managed to run the command as below
                  java -jar jboss-profiler-client.jar -h 0.0.0.0 -p 5400 listSnapshots

Thanks.

• 6. Re: JBoss Profiler Installation in Windows - questions

"krashsun" wrote:

After some try and error I have managed to run the command as below
                    java -jar jboss-profiler-client.jar -h 0.0.0.0 -p 5400 listSnapshots

That did the trick for me too. Thanks!