5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2008 3:40 PM by tperrigo

Stateless Session EJB Endpoint (JBossWS Native)

tperrigo

JBoss 5.0.0.CR2, JBossWS Native (latest distribution). I've got a stateless session bean that I want to use as a web service endpoint. I created an Eclipse project using the (very handy!) ant tasks provided by the JBossWS Native distribution. I created my @Stateless-annotated implementation class, and specified (using @Remote) the remote interface for the class.

Using ant build file generated by the JBossWS ant tasks, I was able to build and deploy my jar file, although, both at app server startup and deployment time, I receive the following error:

/usr/local/jboss-5.0.0.CR2/server/logos/deploy/jbossws-container-jboss-beans.xml -> java.lang.IllegalStateException: WSKernelLocator is already installed.

The web service appears in the list of deployed services in the jbossws console, but I thought for my first test I would simply try to invoke the service as an EJB (through the Remote interface). The JNDI lookup succeeds (it finds an object with the proper JNDI name), but when I try to cast it to the EJB's Remote Interface, I get a ClassCastException. When I print out the actual type of the object returned from the JNDI lookup, I find that it is an instance of javax.naming.Reference.

So my questions are:
      (1) Does anyone know what the startup / deployment error means?

(2) Why can't I seem to get a reference to my RemoteInterface via a JNDI lookup? (Why the ClassCastException?)

Sorry for being so long-winded, I just wanted to include anything that might help. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Tim

• 1. Re: Stateless Session EJB Endpoint (JBossWS Native)
          peterj

1) There should be only one WSKernelLocatpor bean declared, and it should be in the jbossws-container-jboss-beans.xml file. It would appear that you have this bean also declared elsewhere. The best thing to to is a grep or text find to locate the extra declaration.

2) What JNDI name did you use? Have you used JNDIView to determine under what name the EJB was registered? http://www.jboss.org/community/docs/DOC-9583

• 2. Re: Stateless Session EJB Endpoint (JBossWS Native)
            tperrigo

1) You were right; there is an extra WSKernalLocator. There is one defined in the deployers/jbossws.deployer/META-INF/jbossws-container-jboss-beans.xml file, and another in the deploy/jbossws-container-jboss-beans.xml file (so one under the deployers directory, and another in the deploy directory). Which is the "correct" one to use?

2) For the JNDI name, I used "ProcessAdminEJB/remote"...The JNDI view from the JMXConsole shows the following:

+- ProcessAdminEJB (class: org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext)
             | +- remote-werner.opt.process.admin.ProcessAdminRemote (class: Proxy for: werner.opt.process.admin.ProcessAdminRemote)
             | +- remote (class: Proxy for: werner.opt.process.admin.ProcessAdminRemote)

Is this correct?

Thanks for your help!
            Tim

• 3. Re: Stateless Session EJB Endpoint (JBossWS Native)
              tperrigo

I removed the duplicate jbossws-container-jboss-beans.xml from the deploy directory of my server and the "WSKernelLocator already installed" error went away, but I am still getting the ClassCastException when I do a JNDI lookup on my EJB. I really have no idea what I'm doing wrong...everything seems to deploy without issue. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be most appreciative!

Thanks,
              Tim

• 4. Re: Stateless Session EJB Endpoint (JBossWS Native)
                peterj

Looks like this discussion is being continued at: http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4186101

• 5. Re: Stateless Session EJB Endpoint (JBossWS Native)
                  tperrigo

Yes, that's correct; sorry, I should have mentioned that I posted to the EJB3 forum. Once the WSKernelLocator issue was resolved by the removal of one of the duplicate files, I tried removing the web service annotations from my EJB, making it just a simple stateless session bean, to see if I could then do a JNDI lookup. I'm still getting a ClassCastException, though. I left the topic open in this forum, though, just in case anyone knew of any EJB-related problems from projects created using the ant tasks provided with the JBossWS Native distribution.

Thanks,
                  Tim