4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2006 2:11 PM by brak2718

create a simple EJB 3.0 application

weiming

I just wonder how to create an EJB3 application on eclipse. I have installed JBoss 4.0.4, Eclipse 3.2, JBoss Eclipse IDE 1.6 GA with patch.

I tried to use eclipse embeded EJB 3.0 framework, so I clicked File->New->Project. In the Wizard, I chose EJB 3.0 ->EJB 3.0 Project, and clicked Next. I input "Calculator" as project name, then clicked "create a JBoss configration" in Select a JBoss configuration section. Because I installed JBoss 4.0.4 in D:\JBOSS_HOME, I createed a new configration under JBoss 4.0.x, and choose D:\JBOSS_HOME\4.0.4 as Home Directory. As I created a folder "myapp" based on "default" in JBoss deploy folder, I chose myapp as Server Configuration (actually, it doesn't matter if I chose default or myapp). Notice, I set jdk1.5.0._07 as Runtime JRE in JDK tag, becase tools.jar in its lib folder . Everything seems going well so far. However, when I click Finish in Select a JBoss configuration window, an EJB3 Tools-Error popped up: "The selected configuration (New_configration) does not contain the expected EJB3 libraries. Please install JBoss with EJB3 enabled or try another configuration".
      Can anyone tell me how to fix this error please?

Regards
      Weiming Chen

• 1. Re: create a simple EJB 3.0 application
          rob.stryker

JBoss does not come with ejb3 by default. There is a separate JBoss download to ensure it comes with ejb3 and my guess is you don't have that.

Also, as a word of warning, JBoss IDE 1.6.* is not compatible with eclipse 3.2.

• 2. Re: create a simple EJB 3.0 application
            giotto81

Also, as a word of warning, JBoss IDE 1.6.* is not compatible with eclipse 3.2.

ok, now I understand some of my problems...

I am a newbie of JBoss & Eclipse too, and I need a suggestion, if possible: it is better to start with elicpse 3.1 + IDE 1.6, or eclipse 3.2 + IDE 2.0?

Regards,
            Giordano

• 3. Re: create a simple EJB 3.0 application
              weiming

Hi Rob
              I just simply followed install guide http://docs.jboss.com/jbosside/install/build/en/html/installation.html
              to install JBoss IDE 1.6 GA from Eclipse. And I know that if I need to run 1.6 version with Eclipse 3.2, I need a patch http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBIDE-295.

Now I am trying to create an application following JBoss Eclipse IDE Tutorial. Have you done this before? Is it the way to create an EJB3 application?

Regards
              Weiming Chen

• 4. Re: create a simple EJB 3.0 application
                brak2718

I just got done through this tutorial: http://www.j3ltd.com/articles/shoestring/introduction.htm

I used jboss 4.04 with ejb3 option, and JBossIDE for Eclipse 2.0.0.Beta2.

It's a great article for someone starting out with JBoss + EJB3 + Eclipse. Though be careful of typos in the article -- use the source code you can download for the article, don't cut & paste from the article text itself.

On a tangential note, the only place I really got stuck on was deployment problems in JBoss where you get class cast exceptions after jndi lookups of EJBs. I think this is a common problem with JBoss, or maybe containers in general -- you have multiple versions of supposedly the same class and multiple ways the containers can load those classes. At any rate, I found I needed to undeploy the war/ejb3/ear/etc files, then redeploy (restarting JBoss doesn't help).

regards,
                Ryan Mitchell