8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2016 11:50 PM by evanpan

NEW RELEASE IS THERE! FOR JBOSS 3.2

slaboure

Hello,

The new (and final) release of the EJB workbook is available here:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/entjbeans3/workbooks/index.html

It is meant to work with JBoss 3.2, so please ENJOY as it is a free PDF.

With regards,

Bill and Sacha

• 1. Re: NEW RELEASE IS THERE! FOR JBOSS 3.2
          jkmuncy

I'm glad to see you're still working on it. Thanks.

Why do you say it's free when it can't be printed?

• 2. Re: NEW RELEASE IS THERE! FOR JBOSS 3.2
            slaboure

Had you to pay for it?

• 3. Re: NEW RELEASE IS THERE! FOR JBOSS 3.2
              jkmuncy

I'm saying the word free is being stepped on.
              At least the link site said free download.
              Don't get me wrong, I am greatful to get my hands on a read only version.
              I just feel that when someone says "free" as in "free beer" and not as in "freedom" I want to point it out.

• 4. Re: NEW RELEASE IS THERE! FOR JBOSS 3.2
                zapa

"so please ENJOY as it is a free PDF."

The word free isn't alone . We did get a free PDF :) ... and that's all you'd really need because from a book , we don't use it's paper , we use it's information . Which in this case it's free ... along side the PDF that comes with it . :D

• 5. Re: NEW RELEASE IS THERE! FOR JBOSS 3.2
                  sprhodes

Assuming O'Reilly doesn't plan to sell print copies of the Workbook for money (and I have NO idea if they do or not), it seems silly to me to make the PDF unprintable. If it's freely distributable, why not allow printing? Some people can't read comfortably from a computer screen for long amounts of time, or just don't want to (it's really not good for the eyes)... also, you don't always have a computer with you when you might wish to read something...

Imagine taking a road trip via car, or flying on an airplane... granted, you could lug out a laptop computer to read the PDF, but it's darn inconvenient... and what about if the battery dies?

There is still, IMHO, a place for paper, and again, unless O'Reilly doesn't want it printed because they plan to sell print copies, I don't get their reason for disabling printing of the PDF.

That said, I am grateful for the work that went into this, and I'm glad it's available for free, even if I can't print it.

• 6. Re: NEW RELEASE IS THERE! FOR JBOSS 3.2
                    peyt

If you want to print it then run it through ghostscript. Convert it from pdf to pdf. You might loose some of the formating but if you want it on print then you will have to live with it.

Peter

• 7. Re: NEW RELEASE IS THERE! FOR JBOSS 3.2
                      sprhodes

If you want to print it then run it through ghostscript. Convert it from pdf to pdf. You might loose some of the formating but if you want it on print then you will have to live with it.

Yeah, or spend the 40 bucks or so for the Elcomsoft "Advanced PDF Password Recovery" tool, break the password, and turn printing back on...

Not saying that I would do that, of course. But somebody out there will pay 40 or 50 bucks to print a book which is free. Seems kinda silly, doesn't it? If anything, you'd think O'Reilly would make PDF's with the "print" feature turned on available for a small charge. Maybe make 'em about $20.00 USD or so. I for one would be willing to pay that for a printable version.

• 8. Re: NEW RELEASE IS THERE! FOR JBOSS 3.2
                        evanpan

Do you have any suggestion about pdf to text conversion process? Thanks in advance.