13 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2012 6:04 PM by warens

How to find out JBoss Versions

todd.walters

I have JEAP 4.3.0 installed and I know that but what if I didn't know? How would I find out this information?

I looked at boot.log which shows this:

09:53:55,418 INFO [Server] Starting JBoss (MX MicroKernel)...
      09:53:55,419 INFO [Server] Release ID: JBoss [EAP] 4.3.0.GA (build: SVNTag=JBPAPP_4_3_0_GA date=200801031548)

So, since it shows JBoss 4.3.0 do I then need to go to JBoss Enterprise Application Platform 4.3 'Component Details' site here:
      http://www.jboss.com/products/platforms/application/components and see what versions of AS, Hibernate, etc.. I have installed? Is there an easy way to find out what versions I am using?

For instance, I want to replace SEAM 1.2 with SEAM 2.0.1 and have lots of boxes. How would I check to see which version of Seam is installed or AS for that matter?

• 1. Re: How to find out JBoss Versions
          peterj

There are two ways I know of for determining the version of every library that comes with JBossAS:

1) Look at docs/licenses/thirdparty-licenses.xml

2) Look at the META-INF/manifest.mf file for the JAR files in the client, lib and server/xxx/lib directories (and there are a few hiding out elsewhere, such as the JSF JARs in server/xxx/deploy/jboss-web.deployer/jsf-libs directory).

I have found #2 to be the more reliable of the two (in older versions the license file use the JBossAS version for all JBoss-developed libraries, which was not correct)

Additionally, JBossEAP comes with Seam. The seam/changelog.txt file identifies the Seam version.

• 2. Re: How to find out JBoss Versions
            todd.walters

Thanks for the infrormation. I will check this out. I know SEAM comes with JBoss but it's 1.2 and we need to use seam 2.0.1 at least. The JEAP 4.3 includes 1.2. I want to install seam 2.0.1 and make sure that is the version jboss sees.

thanks!

• 3. Re: How to find out JBoss Versions
              todd.walters

Interesting, I looked at both the items you mentioned and seam is not listed anywhere? I didn't see the 'as' listed either? any suggestions?

• 4. Re: How to find out JBoss Versions
                peterj

That should not be a problem. Within JBossEAP, all of the Seam stuff is in the seam directory, and all of the JBossAS stuff is in the jboss-as directory. You can delete (or ignore) the seam directory and use 2.0.1 instead.

Because you have EAP, you probably also have a support contract. You should talk to your support contact to verify that the contract will cover you if you use Seam 2.0.x. (The whole point with EAP was to provide a set of components that were tested and qualified together.)

• 5. Re: How to find out JBoss Versions
                  peterj

As I mentioned in my post, Seam is not part of JBossAS, and the items I mentioned were for things include in JBossAS only. That is why I provided a third file that contains the Seam version.

Definitions:
                  JBossAS: JBoss Application Server
                  JBossEAP: JBossAS + Seam

• 6. Re: How to find out JBoss Versions
                    peterj

Oh, I did not provide anything for application server version because you already pointed out that you found where it is mentioned (in the console log). That is where I would have told you to look anyway. Though some of the JBossAS-specific JAR file (meaning JAR files that come with AS only and are not part of some other component) have the version info. Check out the manifest file in client/jbossall-client.jar.

• 7. Re: How to find out JBoss Versions
                      todd.walters

Thanks for your help. I am waiting on our Contract for Support to come through,then I will use them more often.

still I would think it would be easier to find out versions installed or in use with jboss-as +seam. Btw, Our company does have agreement w/jboss-redhat to support Seam 2.0.1 in Jeap with us.

I have removed seam dir under /opt/jboss-eap-4.3/ and put in seam 2.0.1. Is this all I need to do though? i also wish to be able to find out version of AS but don't seem to find any info on it. How are we supposed to know which version is installed?

Thanks,

• 8. Re: How to find out JBoss Versions
                        todd.walters

PeterJ - yes the boot.log mentions that it's
                        Release ID: JBoss [EAP] 4.3.0.GA (build: SVNTag=JBPAPP_4_3_0_GA date=200801031548

but isn't that really 4.2.2 AS? and this above is just showing EAP version? How do I find the AS version?

thanks

• 9. Re: How to find out JBoss Versions
                          peterj

OK, now I understand your confusion. Even though the console log identifies this as an EAP version, that is the same as the JBossAS version. In other words, EAP 4.3.0 contains JBossAS 4.3.0.

But do not go to the community download page looking for JBossAS 4.3.0 - there was never a community download for it.

Basically, JBossAS 4.3.0 is JBossAS 4.2.x (not sure of the exact version) with JBoss Messaging replacing JBossMQ, and probably a number of other minor fixes and changes. So AS 4.3.0 is a one-off done for paying customer only.

• 10. Re: How to find out JBoss Versions
                            todd.walters

yes, I know that EAP 4.3.0 is paying version only and contains 4.2.1. The list is located here:
                            http://www.jboss.com/products/platforms/application/components

However, how do I find out that i'm using 4.2.1 and it doesn't show it in the boot.log. I should be able to get version info from the installed location? It can be confusing as I'm going to need to use different versions for different apps and while I can name the directory the version I need to use, i would like to be able to run simple command like java -version and know what version of jboss-as i'm using.

• 11. Re: How to find out JBoss Versions
                              peterj

OK, so what you want to know is what command could you run or API could you call that will identify that EAP 4.3.0 was build from an AS 4.2.1 base? The answer is: none.

Why? Because even thought it started from 4.2.1, all of the changes made to it to make it part of EAP 4.3.0 make it no longer 4.2.1.

Every AS-specific manifest, and even the jboss.system:type=Server mbean report that the AS version is 4.3.0.

• 12. Re: How to find out JBoss Versions
                                todd.walters

Okay, that's what I wanted to know. Plus, thanks for the Manifest.mf information. I was knew to this and went and read it and now understand better. I just use jar to see into the .jar files but still have problem find versions of some things. You would think it would be easy to see different versions or verify the versions installed in the EAP.

• 13. Re: How to find out JBoss Versions
                                  warens

My group is working on a way to perform C&A on JBOSS. The method discussed here did not work as expected with JBOSS EAP 5.1 and JBOSS AS Community 6.0.1. After poking around a bit I found that the $JBOSS_HOME/bin/run.sh script will tell you the version. For C&A purposes it's nice to have a quick method to get answers so we have been using the following find statement:

find $JBOSS_HOME -name run.sh -exec {} -V \; | grep '^JBoss'
                                  JBoss 5.1.1 (build: SVNTag=JBPAPP_5_1_1 date=201105171607)

Unfortunatily,  if you are working with SCAP this method is useless since there is no definition that I am aware of that allows for the execution of a shell script. But you can use the Independent Definition 5.10.1 1/27/2012 ind:xmlfilecontent test to extract the JBoss version from the $JBOSS_HOME/jar-versions.xml:

name: applet.jar
                                   specVersion: 5.1.1
                                   specVendor: JBoss (http://www.jboss.org/)
                                   specTitle: JBoss
                                   implVersion: 5.1.1 (build: SVNTag=JBPAPP_5_1_1 date=201105171607) implVendor: JBoss Inc.
                                   implTitle: JBoss [EAP]
                                   implVendorID: http://www.jboss.org/
                                   implURL: http://www.jboss.org/
                                   sealed: false
                                   md5Digest: fae8c900c0283406ecb991c67ddb01fb