1 2 3 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2009 12:20 PM by iradix Go to original post
      • 15. Re: No Metric Data Available?
        iradix

Looks like the sigar logging places most things in the "Sigar" category, this does not look promising though.

http://github.com/hyperic/sigar/blob/1320801e044d6f11f45bba70b67159ff664a77e0/bindings/java/src/org/hyperic/sigar/Sigar.java

It looks like they just swallow the exception in loadLibrary except for the message, which in this case is the not very helpful " /Applications/jopr/jopr-agent-2.1.0.GA/lib/libsigar-universal-macosx.dylib". I can't even tell from that which type of exception is the root cause, and sure enough I don't see a lot of additional info:

2009-02-18 13:23:40,534 DEBUG [main] (Sigar)- /Applications/jopr/jopr-agent-2.1.
        0.GA/lib/libsigar-universal-macosx.dylib:
        org.hyperic.sigar.SigarException: /Applications/jopr/jopr-agent-2.1.0.GA/lib/lib
        sigar-universal-macosx.dylib:
        at org.hyperic.sigar.Sigar.loadLibrary(Sigar.java:160)
        at org.hyperic.sigar.Sigar.(Sigar.java:90)
        at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:169)
        at org.rhq.core.system.SystemInfoFactory.(SystemInfoFactory.java
        :61)
        at org.rhq.enterprise.agent.AgentMain.getNativeIn(AgentMain.java:628)
        at org.rhq.enterprise.agent.AgentMain.main(AgentMain.java:340)

Looking through ArchLoader, I can't even find where an exception would be thrown that would include nothing but the library name

http://github.com/hyperic/sigar/blob/1320801e044d6f11f45bba70b67159ff664a77e0/bindings/java/hyperic_jni/src/org/hyperic/jni/ArchLoader.java

Of course, the repository head may have been changed already to address whatever this issue is. Any ideas?

• 16. Re: No Metric Data Available?
          ips

You could also try setting the System property "sigar.nativeLogging" to "true", i.e. by passing -Dsigar.nativeLogging=true to the Agent JVM when starting it. This will cause the native side of Sigar to loag debug info. Note, setting the RHQ_AGENT_DEBUG environment variable to any value prior to starting the Agent should automatically add the -Dsigar.nativeLogging=true argument to the command line.

• 17. Re: No Metric Data Available?
            mazz

I'm pretty sure I set that automatically when you enable agent debug via the RHQ_AGENT_DEBUG env var.

RHQ_AGENT_DEBUG=true
            export RHQ_AGENT_DEBUG
            rhq-agent.sh

• 18. Re: No Metric Data Available?
              mazz

But when you do that RHQ_AGENT_DEBUG thing, the rhq-agent script will switch to using the built-in log4j-debug.xml found in the agent jar file - so it will ignore your customized log4j.xml - you can easily use "debug -f log4j.xml" to switch back to your customized log config if you want.

• 19. Re: No Metric Data Available?
                iradix

Got it. It wasn't the additional Sigar debugging but the other stuff that came out that tipped me off. I noticed that the output from the Sigar jar file when executed on the command line claimed java 1.5 was in use while the agent is using 1.6 from the JAVA_HOME variable. I set JAVA_HOME to 1.5 and native initialized when the agent came back up. I don't know if this is a problem with running under 1.6 or a conflict between the java binary on my path and the one referenced in JAVA_HOME though.....

• 20. Re: No Metric Data Available?
                  mazz

ugh - I wonder if SIGAR under the covers is somehow looking at JAVA_HOME?

We run the agent under 1.6 all the time - so just using 1.6 isn't a problem. Must be something else - perhaps something in SIGAR?

• 21. Re: No Metric Data Available?
                    mazz

BTW: read the comments/settings in rhq-agent-env.sh to see the different settings you can set in the agent - a few are for telling the agent which Java to use. JAVA_HOME is just the last-resort fallback for the agent.

• 22. Re: No Metric Data Available?
                      iradix

Have you run it under 1.6 on a mac? This is what happens when I attempt to launch the sigar jar explicitly with the 1.6 jvm

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Home/bin/java -jar sigar-1.5.0.3.jar
                      /Applications/jopr/jopr-agent-2.1.0.GA/lib/libsigar-universal-macosx.dylib:
                      org.hyperic.sigar.SigarException: /Applications/jopr/jopr-agent-2.1.0.GA/lib/libsigar-universal-macosx.dylib:
                       at org.hyperic.sigar.Sigar.loadLibrary(Sigar.java:160)
                       at org.hyperic.sigar.Sigar.<clinit>(Sigar.java:90)
                       at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
                       at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:169)
                       at org.hyperic.sigar.SigarLoader.class$(SigarLoader.java:79)
                       at org.hyperic.sigar.SigarLoader.getLocation(SigarLoader.java:79)
                       at org.hyperic.sigar.cmd.Runner.main(Runner.java:161)
                      Class Not Found: junit/framework/TestCase
                      Unable to locate: junit.jar

hmmmmm.... looks familiar.....

• 23. Re: No Metric Data Available?
                        mazz

Ha! Why is SIGAR trying to load JUnit??

• 24. Re: No Metric Data Available?
                          ips

Perhaps it is is because the 1.6 JVM is 64-bit. It looks like SIGAR didn't add support for 64-bit JVM on OSX until v1.6.2 (see http://forums.hyperic.com/jiveforums/thread.jspa?messageID=22675墓). If it's not 64-bit, then perhaps the version of SIGAR JON is using (1.5.0) doesn't even support 32-bit Java 1.6 on OSX.

• 25. Re: No Metric Data Available?
                            iradix

garfunkel:lib dave$ /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Home/bin/java -version
                            java version "1.6.0_07"
                            Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06-153)
                            Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.6.0_07-b06-57, mixed mode)

garfunkel:lib dave$ java -version
                            java version "1.5.0_16"
                            Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_16-b06-284)
                            Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_16-133, mixed mode, sharing)

Looks like 64bit support might be the issue here.....

• 26. Re: No Metric Data Available?
                              pilhuhn

It looks like this might be the issue - my macbook has no c2d and thus no Java6 :-(

But you can still hardcode the path to java in the rhq-agent.sh script via JAVA_HOME and RHQ_AGENT_JAVA_HOME (or only the latter) to use the 1.5 java version from System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Home
                              The mac java executable also has a -d32 switch that might help here while still using java 6

• 27. Re: No Metric Data Available?
                                mazz

But you can still hardcode the path to java in the rhq-agent.sh script

For the record, now that agent auto-update feature is complete, we do not recommend editing "rhq-agent.sh" anymore. If you ever want to customize the environment to the agent (such as setting these Java env vars), modify "rhq-agent-env.sh" instead. Changes to rhq-agent.sh will be lost when you upgrade the agent (because the agent upgrade will install the new rhq-agent.sh version, in the case when we do bug fixes and enhancements to that script), but changes you make to rhq-agent-env.sh will not be lost.

• 28. Re: No Metric Data Available?
                                  iradix

There is a small bug with the rhq-agent.sh script. It tries to set the environment from ./rhq-agen-env.sh which won't work if you've launched the agent from outside the bin directory. Changing to this works from any location:

RHQ_ENVIRONMENT=`dirname $0`/rhq-agent-env.sh
                                  if [ -f "$RHQ_ENVIRONMENT" ]; then
                                   echo "Loading script environment from rhq-agent-env.sh..."
                                   . $RHQ_ENVIRONMENT
                                  fi

• 29. Re: No Metric Data Available?
                                    mazz

We've tested this before - what version of the agent do you have? I'm thinking you might have an older version.