5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2009 3:07 AM by desmetch

New alert definition error

desmetch

On RHEL4, jvm 1.5, jopr-server 2.1.0.GA,
      I get the following error when trying to create an new alert.

stacktrace :

2009-02-09 13:08:32,123 ERROR [org.apache.struts.taglib.tiles.InsertTag] ServletException in '/resource/common/monitor/alerts/config/NewDefinition.jsp': Servlet execution threw an exception
      javax.servlet.ServletException: javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet execution threw an exception
      at org.apache.struts.taglib.tiles.InsertTag$InsertHandler.doEndTag(InsertTag.java:882)
      at org.apache.struts.taglib.tiles.InsertTag.doEndTag(InsertTag.java:462)
      at org.apache.jsp.portal.ColumnsLayout_jsp._jspx_meth_tiles_005finsert_005f0(ColumnsLayout_jsp.java:189)
      at org.apache.jsp.portal.ColumnsLayout_jsp._jspx_meth_c_005fforEach_005f1(ColumnsLayout_jsp.java:148)
      at org.apache.jsp.portal.ColumnsLayout_jsp._jspx_meth_c_005fforEach_005f0(ColumnsLayout_jsp.java:102)
      at org.apache.jsp.portal.ColumnsLayout_jsp._jspService(ColumnsLayout_jsp.java:65)
      at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:70)
      at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)
      at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:387)
      at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:320)
      at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:266)
      at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)

Caused by: javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet execution threw an exception

Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/rhq/enterprise/gui/legacy/action/resource/common/monitor/alerts/config/condition/ConfigurationPropertyConverterValidator at org.rhq.enterprise.gui.legacy.action.resource.common.monitor.alerts.config.condition.ConverterValidatorManager.(ConverterValidatorManager.java:38)
      at org.rhq.enterprise.gui.legacy.action.resource.common.monitor.alerts.config.ConditionBean.(ConditionBean.java:55)
      at org.rhq.enterprise.gui.legacy.action.resource.common.monitor.alerts.config.DefinitionForm.setNumConditions(DefinitionForm.java:265)
      at org.rhq.enterprise.gui.legacy.action.resource.common.monitor.alerts.config.DefinitionForm.resetConditions(DefinitionForm.java:621)
      at org.rhq.enterprise.gui.legacy.action.resource.common.monitor.alerts.config.DefinitionForm.setDefaults(DefinitionForm.java:687)
      at org.rhq.enterprise.gui.legacy.action.resource.common.monitor.alerts.config.DefinitionForm.reset(DefinitionForm.java:443)
      at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processPopulate(RequestProcessor.java:809)

• 1. Re: New alert definition error

NoClassDefFoundError usually happens when I class get unloaded (often due to programming) or when you tried to deploy an incomplete package which never had that class definition to begin with. What revision are you on? I just confirmed that this is work since rev2964, and I know of no instances of NoClassDefFoundError since this functionality was added back in ~Oct 2008. Can you shut down your server, rebuild portal-war module completely, and restart - see if that fixes it.

• 2. Re: New alert definition error
            desmetch

First of all, thanks to reply.

a. Can you tell me where i can find the revision I'm on?
            b. rebuilding portal.war means redeploying rhq.ear.rej and redo-ing the installation?

• 3. Re: New alert definition error
              mazz

The server log will tell you what version you are on (look for the [CoreServer] log message early on in the log) - the help-about box also tells you (you can get this from the link in the footer of all UI pages).

you don't necessarily have to reinstall the rhq.ear.rej. If you are building using the -Pdev maven profile, all you need is "mvn -Pdev install" from within the portal-war maven module directory and that will redeploy a new rhq.ear/rhq-portal.war. You won't even have to restart the server - the server will hot deploy the new war. This assumes you have a developer build environment setup on your box (source code svn co'ed and all that).

• 4. Re: New alert definition error
                desmetch

jopr 1.1.0.GA
                build 1740
                Is this what you need?

I download and install the binaries. I don't have a developper build environment.

• 5. Re: New alert definition error
                  desmetch

Problem solved.
                  It seems that the portal.war was incomplete (problem at download???).

I re-download and re-install rhq.ear. I can now navigate to the alert page...

Thank you all.