1 2 3 Previous Next 75 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2008 2:35 PM by sait

Download JBDS or "Buy Online"

I´m looking to download JBoss Developer Studio.

Where is the link ? I can´t find it in Downloads.

.... or Do I have to pay $99 ?

PD: What a change .... !!! "Buy Online"

Regards,
      Eric

• 1. Re: Download JBDS or
          maxandersen

It has always been noted that the final version of Developer Studio would be available for a price.

The Eclipse plugins in the JBoss Tools project are available for free and in opensource and we will inform about that later this week.

• 2. Re: Download JBDS or

Risky business... I know about the Red Hat / Fedora balance.... But I never thought the same relation It would be applied to JBoss.

In this way you have an "option" between Commercial Tools or Community Tools....... If I stay "outside" the subscription.... I'll be a second class developer without the best tools.... interesting, very interesting.

Well, the world is big enough ..... to have another subscription.

You understand... I'm very dissapointed... I tested and reported bugs related with JBDS.... just to discovered I'm not helping to build a community, just a software company.

Regards,
            Eric

• 3. Re: Download JBDS or
              maxandersen

i'm sorry if you feel this way, I always made it very clear in every statement i've done about it.

But seriously all the bug fixes you report are available and will always be available in opensource....what is wrong with JBoss Tools here ?

There is no second class developer here.

*All* the tooling is available for free and opensource; you just need to install Eclipse and JBoss AS etc. on your own.

• 4. Re: Download JBDS or

The problem is with the additional software value added to JBDS, restricted to the general community.

If Eclipse+Tools+Seam are exactly the same than JBDS, just release JBDS as free as the other projects. It's going to be easier.... unless you are waiting for a forked bundled JDBS.

Just think about all the time we are wasting integrating Tools, Seam, Jbpm to Eclipse... everytime we want to use JBoss.

.... and now... the main Jboss development IDE ... is a paid suscription....

Always... Always.. the compiler and the IDE must be the easiest tools to be provided and supported to developers....if you put any restriction... more difficult to build the Red Hat Application Stack.

• 5. Re: Download JBDS or
                  maxandersen

Eric - download Ecllipse Europe and download JBoss Tools and you got the tooling.

There are *zero* restrictions on the functionallity.

The preconfigured bundled stuff is for the commercial supported software.

Its all about a balance and I think we hit a very good balance.

• 6. Re: Download JBDS or

Ok, I still don't see why the bundled Jboss has to be distributed by subscription.

Sure, I'll be looking for the most efficient way to work... It's just another balance.

Regards,
                    Eric

• 7. Re: Download JBDS or
                      holmanc

I just purchased but cannot fine the link to download - Red Hat issue 1790198. The links are all Red Hat software no JBoss?

BTW the price is too high MyEclipse offers much more for less.

• 8. Re: Download JBDS or
                        maxandersen

because it is JBoss EAP that is being bundled not JBoss AS....this basically has nothing to do with the tooling this is the red hat/fedora model that have been in effect for JBoss software for quite some time now.

In any case I hope I'll still see you working with us on JBoss Tools.

• 9. Re: Download JBDS or
                          maxandersen

"holmanc" wrote:
                          I just purchased but cannot fine the link to download - Red Hat issue 1790198. The links are all Red Hat software no JBoss?

I'll ping them - it should just be available directly after the buy.

BTW the price is too high MyEclipse offers much more for less.

I don't recall MyEclipse bundling JBoss EAP, RHEL and Red Hat network in their offerings ;)

Anyhow let us know what features you are missing in the tooling (preferably in a another thread). Thats the way you get more in there.

• 10. Re: Download JBDS or
                            landsoflord

I cannot find a link to download it too.
                            Where can I find the link ???

• 11. Re: Download JBDS or
                              maxandersen

JBDS is not freely available for download as mentioned in all release announcements about it ;)

If you want the free parts go look at www.jboss.org/tools

• 12. Re: Download JBDS or
                                speleomaniac

Well it is interesting,

http://jboss.com/partners/exadel
                                http://www.infoq.com/news/2007/04/rhds-exadel

These two articles are clearly stating, Exadel Pro - Red Hat Developer Studio would be open sourced, now you say, JBoss Tool is open source so it is the same thing.

To my knowledge, JBoss Tools doesn't include the Exadel Studio Pro feature, so where can we get Exadel Studio as open source????

• 13. Re: Download JBDS or
                                  maxandersen

huh!? Why do you don't thinjk Exadel Studio Pro features are not in JBoss Tools ? What do you think i've been working on the last 9 months ? :)

All the tooling software is opensource - trust me!

• 14. Re: Download JBDS or

You should release JBDS as public as the other software projects.

You always are going to have subscriptions to the supporting services from corporate users.

If you begin to mix things..... problems and confusion...

Fox example... Jboss has no Development Studio.... but Red Hat has a paid suscription that provides one... but they are the same... but you always have the Tools to build the same IDE...what ?......no.. no .,.. no.... very very complex.....not a clear path.

At the end, the subscription value should be at a certified, stable, upgradeable, deployable, supportable tool oriented to enterprises. With partners, training, etc, etc.

Now, I only see amodel based on an access restriction. You are downgrading JDBS to a Shareware price.

1 2 3 Previous Next