We missed a week but I tried to capture a full two weeks worth of interesting news and announcements (double the pleasure, double the fun). JBoss folks have both amazing energy and a great variety of interests and in this blog I hope to capture some of the highlights and point you at some very interesting new content.
- Have you heard of OptaPlanner? Software that produces the optimal plan for a set of constrained resources - how to staff the hospital nurses, how to load that truck for optimal delivery routing, how to schedule the machines in a factory, etc. In this blog, Geoffrey De Smet walks through an example of how a school might schedule their teachers, courses and associated rooms. I love the fact that he normally provides a nice video to illustrate the point. Will SkyNET control our schedule if the computer optimizes it for us?
- salaboy has been one our most prolific blog authors of late with some great entries on the new jBPM6 Console, with a nice tutorial/example Using the jBPM Console NG - HR Example and a follow-up that provides a lot more detail about the various web UIs associated with the jBPM and Drools projects KIE-WB / JBPM CONSOLE NG – CONFIGURATIONS
- Mark Little delves into the world of wearable, embeddable and generally ubiquitous computing devices - REST and the Internet of Things
- Ray Tsang blogs about Take Advantage of Your Site Map with Navigation API in Red Hat JBoss Portal 6.1
- Adam Warski has been digging into Apache Mahout and offers some nice tips/steps to get you going Using Amazon’s Elastic Map Reduce to compute recommendations with Apache Mahout 0.8
- Shane Johnson offers an excellent article on server-side web frameworks and the new JS, client-side MVC frameworks. Server Side Web Frameworks, The Last Stand
- Interested in Open Source, specifically performance then check out this New book: Performance of Open Source Applications, with a chapter on Infinispan
- More Gource Videos - what's Gource, you will have to see it to almost understand it
- Eclipse SWTBot gets a logo - The face of SWTBot
- Andrew Rubinger comes clean on his recent transition to becoming a "marketer" ;-)
- Alessio Soldano publishes his slides for his recent Wise presentation at JBug Milan
- A bug in the JRE/JDK, on my - Oracle releases Java 7 update that fixes eclipse