1 2 3 Previous Next 39 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2006 5:16 PM by tszpinda

myfaces ExtensionsPhaseListener

dajevtic

Hello dear developers,
      having played around with the portal a little bit I must give you a bunch of credit for this great product.
      However, unfortunately just plugging in the new myfaces version does not seem to be that easy.
      As I depend on using the newest version due to the changes in the Tree2 package I decided to make the portal compatible with the new myfaces version 1.1.3 and tomahawk 1.1.2!
      The main problem seems to be myfaces' ExtensionsPhaseListener, since it needs to be setup. Having accomplished this and having made changes to some sources to propagate the "org.apache.myfaces.myFacesJavascript" attribute into the portal context, I was wondering whether there are any near future plans to migrate the portal to the new myfaces version?!
      If so, is there a concrete timeplan, and if not, how about me contributing the source code?
      Kind regards,
      dj

• 1. Re: myfaces ExtensionsPhaseListener

it sounds great for 2.4 release but as JBoss AS (4.0.4.G1) ships with myfaces, you need to check that it contains the same version or compatible.

• 2. Re: myfaces ExtensionsPhaseListener
            dajevtic

"julien@jboss.com" wrote:
            it sounds great for 2.4 release but as JBoss AS (4.0.4.G1) ships with myfaces, you need to check that it contains the same version or compatible.

Yes, I forgot to mention that I extended the ant build to replace the existing myfaces version in jboss-4.0.4.GA with the current one. All that needs to be done is modify the properties file to add jboss home variable if it is not set in the environment.

• 3. Re: myfaces ExtensionsPhaseListener

We cannot change the myfaces version in JBoss.

If your patch cannot be applied fully until JBoss version myfaces upgrades then you should make a JIRA issue in JBPORTAL with your patch and make an upgrade request using JIRA too of myfaces in AS and link both jira ISSUE.

if the patch can be partally applies (on tomahawks) then we can apply this part.

• 4. Re: myfaces ExtensionsPhaseListener
                dajevtic

Julien, sorry for not having gotten back to you earlier. I was out of town. However, in the meantime I was able to test the new tomahawk with the existing myfaces core of jboss-4.0.4.GA and I must say that compatibility seems quite all right between the two.
                However, some of the tomahawk sandbox components do not seem to work properly with tomahawk 1.1.3 and myfaces core 1.1.1. Since they are sandbox, this might be an Apache issue though.
                I will run some more tests this weekend and let you know if we can just port the tomahawk into the portal and leave jboss AS the way it is. If so, I will follow your suggestion and open the JIRA issues you mentioned.

Let me know if it is OK to proceed.

Kind regards,
                dj

• 5. Re: myfaces ExtensionsPhaseListener
                  dajevtic

Hey! Disappointing news. The 1.1.2 release of tomahawk is not compatible, however when building the current svn-sources of 1.1.4-SNAPSHOT it DOES work. Even the tomahawk-sandbox examples work without modifications.

I guess we'll have to wait for the myfaces team to bring out a stable release of its new tomahawk version :-(

If someone doesn't care about using myfaces' new svn version of tomahawk, let me know, and I'll post the necessary configuration.

Regards,
                  dj

• 6. Re: myfaces ExtensionsPhaseListener
                    prenger

Hi.
                    I would really appreciate if you can post the configuration. I'm trying to use the schedule component and hope that your solution can help me.

• 7. Re: myfaces ExtensionsPhaseListener
                      dajevtic

I have opened an issue with tomahawk myfaces team to make the MyFacesExtensionFilter work with portals, however I didn't want to wait.

Ok! here goes for the schedule :-)

First of all do a svn checkout of the newest myfaces sources and build. schedule has left the sandbox and has been moved into tomahawk!
                      Remove all files inside the deploy/jbossweb-tomcat55.sar/jsf-libs directory and copy the following jars into it (I'm not sure if all are needed, but that's the ones who are inside the generated war-file of myfaces):

antlr-2.7.2.jar
                      commons-beanutils-1.7.0.jar
                      commons-codec-1.3.jar
                      commons-collections-3.1.jar
                      commons-digester-1.6.jar
                      commons-el-1.0.jar
                      commons-fileupload-1.0.jar
                      commons-lang-2.1.jar
                      commons-logging-1.0.4.jar
                      commons-validator-1.2.0.jar
                      jstl-1.1.0.jar
                      myfaces-api-1.1.4-SNAPSHOT.jar
                      myfaces-impl-1.1.4-SNAPSHOT.jar
                      oro-2.0.8.jar
                      struts-1.2.8.jar
                      tomahawk-1.1.4-SNAPSHOT.jar
                      tomahawk-sandbox-1.1.4-SNAPSHOT.jar
                      xalan-2.5.1.jar
                      xml-apis-1.0.b2.jar

Remove tomahawk.jar and tomahawk.tld from the portal-core.war file of the jboss portal.

Change the deploy/jbossweb-tomcat55.sar/conf/web.xml inside jboss server to:

<init-param>
                       <description>MyFaces tlds</description>
                       <param-name>tagLibJar0</param-name>
                       <param-value>jsf-libs/myfaces-impl-1.1.4-SNAPSHOT.jar</param-value>
                       </init-param>
                       <init-param>
                       <description>Sandbox tlds</description>
                       <param-name>tagLibJar1</param-name>
                       <param-value>jsf-libs/tomahawk-sandbox-1.1.4-SNAPSHOT.jar</param-value>
                       </init-param>
                       <init-param>
                       <description>Tomahawk tlds</description>
                       <param-name>tagLibJar2</param-name>
                       <param-value>jsf-libs/tomahawk-1.1.4-SNAPSHOT.jar</param-value>
                       </init-param>

As of now, jboss is running under the new myfaces version, rendering the management pages of the portal unusable.

To fix this you have to:
                      change the line
                      org.apache.myfaces.tree2.CLIENT_SIDE_TOGGLE="#{false}"
                      inside the index.xhtml to
                      clientSideToggle="false"

Then, surround any
                      <h:commandLink>
                      tag with a
                      <h:form>
                      tag where there is none (there are not too many). Now the management portlets work fine again.

Here is a snippet of how your own web.xml file should look like (be sure to also update the web.xml inside the portal-core.war of jboss portal):

<filter>
                       <filter-name>MyFacesExtensionsFilter</filter-name>
                       <filter-class>org.apache.myfaces.webapp.filter.ExtensionsFilter</filter-class>
                       <init-param>
                       <description>Set the size limit for uploaded files.
                       Format: 10 - 10 bytes
                       10k - 10 KB
                       10m - 10 MB
                       1g - 1 GB</description>
                       <param-name>uploadMaxFileSize</param-name>
                       <param-value>100m</param-value>
                       </init-param>
                       <init-param>
                       <description>Set the threshold size - files
                       below this limit are stored in memory, files above
                       this limit are stored on disk.

Format: 10 - 10 bytes
                       10k - 10 KB
                       10m - 10 MB
                       1g - 1 GB</description>
                       <param-name>uploadThresholdSize</param-name>
                       <param-value>100k</param-value>
                       </init-param>
                       </filter>
                      <!-- extension mapping for serving page-independent resources (javascript, stylesheets, images, etc.) -->
                      <filter-mapping>
                       <url-pattern>/faces/myFacesExtensionResource/*</url-pattern>
                      </filter-mapping>

<filter-mapping>
                       <url-pattern>*.jsf</url-pattern>
                       </filter-mapping>
                       <filter-mapping>
                       <url-pattern>/faces/*</url-pattern>
                       </filter-mapping>

<context-param>
                       <param-name>org.apache.myfaces.ALLOW_JAVASCRIPT</param-name>
                       <param-value>true</param-value>
                       </context-param>
                       <context-param>
                       <param-name>org.apache.myfaces.DETECT_JAVASCRIPT</param-name>
                       <param-value>false</param-value>
                       </context-param>
                       <context-param>
                       <param-name>org.apache.myfaces.AUTO_SCROLL</param-name>
                       </context-param>
                       <context-param>
                       <param-name>org.apache.myfaces.PRETTY_HTML</param-name>
                       </context-param>
                       <context-param>
                       <param-name>javax.faces.DEFAULT_SUFFIX</param-name>
                       <param-value>.xhtml</param-value>
                       </context-param>

<context-param>
                       <param-name>org.apache.myfaces.CHECK_EXTENSIONS_FILTER</param-name>
                       <param-value>false</param-value>
                       </context-param>

<!-- Must be commented out
                       <servlet>
                       <servlet-name>Faces Servlet</servlet-name>
                       <servlet-class>javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet</servlet-class>
                       <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
                       </servlet>

<servlet-mapping>
                       <servlet-name>Faces Servlet</servlet-name>
                       <url-pattern>*.jsf</url-pattern>
                       </servlet-mapping>-->

Now for the faces-config.xml:
                      <managed-bean>
                       <managed-bean-name>ScheduleBrowserBean</managed-bean-name>
                       <managed-bean-class>de.livemediagroup.ecatalog.web.ScheduleBrowserBean</managed-bean-class>
                       <managed-bean-scope>request</managed-bean-scope>
                       </managed-bean>

Your portlet.jsp should look something like this. I placed the .js files as a quick hack into the portal-core folder. I usually have them in a /static folder inside my apache web server:
                      <%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jsf/html" prefix="h"%>
                      <%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jsf/core" prefix="f"%>
                      <%@ taglib uri="http://myfaces.apache.org/tomahawk" prefix="t"%>

<html>
                      <head>
                      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
                      <title>Zeitplan</title>
                      <link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'
                       href='/portal-core/style/default/schedule.css' />

<script type="text/javascript"
                       src="/portal-core/style/default/schedule.js"><!--

//--></script>
                       src="/portal-core/style/default/alphaAPI.js"><!--

//--></script>
                       src="/portal-core/style/default/domLib.js"><!--

//--></script>
                      <script type="text/javascript" src="/portal-core/style/default/domTT.js"><!--

//--></script>
                       src="/portal-core/style/default/fadomatic.js"><!--

//--></script>

</head>
                      <body>

<f:view>

<h:form>

<t:schedule value="#{ScheduleBrowserBean.model}" id="schedule" theme="default" tooltip="true" />

</h:form>
                      </f:view>
                      </body>
                      </html>

One last small thing. If you are using facelets:
                      Add
                      <tag>
                       <tag-name>schedule</tag-name>
                       <component>
                       <component-type>org.apache.myfaces.Schedule</component-type>
                       <renderer-type>org.apache.myfaces.Schedule</renderer-type>
                       </component>
                       </tag>

to the tomahawl.taglib.xml

I think that's all. Please try and let me know if it worked.
                      Since I am using jboss-seam I hope I haven't forgotten anything.
                      If I did, sorry, I'll post the remaining things if needed.

• 8. Re: myfaces ExtensionsPhaseListener
                        prenger

WHoooHooo! It's working. Thanks a lot. By the way, I am not using the portal, my project is a usual myfaces web application with the jboss 4.0.3 server, but this configuration works there either. You really helped me a lot with this.

• 9. Re: myfaces ExtensionsPhaseListener
                          dajevtic

If you're not using the portal, then the extension listener will work perfectly. You don't need to include the .js files manually, because this will be done by DefaultAddResource :-)

Regards

• 10. Re: myfaces ExtensionsPhaseListener
                            prenger

That's correct. I also do not have to edit the index.xhtml or the Faces Servlet section in the web.xml.

• 11. Re: myfaces ExtensionsPhaseListener
                              dajevtic

Exactly.
                              Needless to say: It works out of the box ;-)

• 12. Re: myfaces ExtensionsPhaseListener
                                prenger

Sorry, very disappointing news. I thought it's working, because the schedule is rendered correctly. But when I select an entry, I am kicked back to the start page of my application. I think this happens, because I forgot to include the (very important)

<filter-mapping>
                                <url-pattern>/faces/myFacesExtensionResource/*</url-pattern>
                                </filter-mapping>

in my web.xml

If I add this, I get a deployment exception. I hope you are still watching this topic, because this component is very essential for my application, which has to run on Jboss. I would be really great, if you could help me to get this working.

• 13. Re: myfaces ExtensionsPhaseListener
                                  dajevtic

I might have an idea, why. Post the StackTrace and I'll take a look at it. Which version of myfaces are you using?

• 14. Re: myfaces ExtensionsPhaseListener
                                    prenger

Here we go:

21:45:52,109 ERROR [MainDeployer] Could not start deployment: file:/C:/jboss-4.0
                                    .3SP1/server/default/deploy/CRM.war
                                    org.jboss.deployment.DeploymentException: URL file:/C:/jboss-4.0.3SP1/server/def
                                    ault/tmp/deploy/tmp16986CRM-exp.war/ deployment failed
                                    at org.jboss.web.tomcat.tc5.TomcatDeployer.performDeployInternal(TomcatD
                                    eployer.java:349)
                                    at org.jboss.web.tomcat.tc5.TomcatDeployer.performDeploy(TomcatDeployer.
                                    java:88)
                                    at org.jboss.web.AbstractWebDeployer.start(AbstractWebDeployer.java:357)

at org.jboss.web.WebModule.startModule(WebModule.java:68)
                                    at org.jboss.web.WebModule.startService(WebModule.java:46)
                                    at org.jboss.system.ServiceMBeanSupport.jbossInternalStart(ServiceMBeanS
                                    upport.java:274)
                                    at org.jboss.system.ServiceMBeanSupport.jbossInternalLifecycle(ServiceMB
                                    eanSupport.java:230)
                                    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
                                    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
                                    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
                                    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
                                    at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ReflectedDispatcher.invoke(ReflectedDispatch
                                    er.java:141)
                                    at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.dispatch(Invocation.java:80)
                                    at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:72)
                                    at org.jboss.mx.server.AbstractMBeanInvoker.invoke(AbstractMBeanInvoker.
                                    java:245)
                                    at org.jboss.mx.server.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:644)
                                    at org.jboss.system.ServiceController$ServiceProxy.invoke(ServiceControl
                                    ler.java:943)
                                    at $Proxy0.start(Unknown Source)
                                    at org.jboss.system.ServiceController.start(ServiceController.java:428)
                                    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor9.invoke(Unknown Source)
                                    at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:72)
                                    at org.jboss.mx.util.MBeanProxyExt.invoke(MBeanProxyExt.java:176)
                                    at $Proxy30.start(Unknown Source)
                                    at org.jboss.web.AbstractWebContainer.start(AbstractWebContainer.java:40
                                    0)
                                    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
                                    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
                                    at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.AbstractInterceptor.invoke(AbstractIntercept
                                    or.java:118)
                                    at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:74)
                                    at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ModelMBeanOperationInterceptor.invoke(ModelM
                                    BeanOperationInterceptor.java:127)
                                    at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.DynamicInterceptor.invoke(DynamicInterceptor
                                    .java:80)
                                    at $Proxy31.start(Unknown Source)
                                    at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.start(MainDeployer.java:989)
                                    at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.deploy(MainDeployer.java:790)
                                    at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.deploy(MainDeployer.java:753)
                                    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor49.invoke(Unknown Source)
                                    at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.AbstractInterceptor.invoke(AbstractIntercept
                                    or.java:118)
                                    at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ModelMBeanOperationInterceptor.invoke(ModelM
                                    BeanOperationInterceptor.java:127)
                                    at $Proxy9.deploy(Unknown Source)
                                    at org.jboss.deployment.scanner.URLDeploymentScanner.deploy(URLDeploymen
                                    tScanner.java:319)
                                    at org.jboss.deployment.scanner.URLDeploymentScanner.scan(URLDeploymentS
                                    canner.java:489)
                                    at org.jboss.deployment.scanner.AbstractDeploymentScanner$ScannerThread.
                                    doScan(AbstractDeploymentScanner.java:192)
                                    loop(AbstractDeploymentScanner.java:203)
                                    run(AbstractDeploymentScanner.java:182)

1 2 3 Previous Next