12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2006 11:04 AM by heiko.braun

ws-eventing: event notification failure

maeste

I noticed that event notification failure are completely lost. If an event notification fail jbossws just log the error and does nothing.
      I took a look and I think could be pretty simple to modify the code to store these failures in the SubscriptionManager MBEAN with exceptions generated to make possible to analyze problems without watching console all day long :)
      And is also possible add one or more methods to the MBEAN to resend failed notification.

What do you think about? Can I put my hand on this part of code?

• 1. Re: ws-eventing: event notification failure
          maeste

I'm sorry, but I didn't understand. What you link on jira is a patch I already submitted, but this message is about another issue.

• 2. Re: ws-eventing: event notification failure
            thomas.diesler

Please link to the jira issue that pertains to this post if there is one.

• 3. Re: ws-eventing: event notification failure
              maeste

ASFAIK the jira issue about this post doesn't exist (yet). I'm asking if my proposed solution seems in the right direction. If you think so, I'll start to work on the code and I'll create the patch on jira.
              Are there something incorrect in my steps? Do I have to create the jira issue before asking opinions here?

• 4. Re: ws-eventing: event notification failure
                thomas.diesler

Stefano,

Heiko is mostly offline this week. He'll be back next week when you will get qualified feedback on this.

• 5. Re: ws-eventing: event notification failure
                  maeste

Thanks thomas.
                  We are working also on another problem we are experiencing on a jboss cluster with a jbossws eventing deployed on it.
                  The cluster is viewed (of course) as a single machine by the client, subscribing and getting events to our service. As you can figure out the problem is more than one:
                  1. The load balancer send subscriptions to only one server, but the subscriptions have to be registered by all servers in the farm (or better in only one place for all cluster's machines IMHO)
                  2. The notification have to be coordinated.
                  3. Events like "machine going down" have to be generated according to cluster status, not single machine status.
                  4. Something else we are thinking about.....:)

We (me ad Alessio alias "palin" on these forums) will have fun coding on these issues, but we need some informations about jbossws' core design:
                  a. The easiest way to implement this stuffs is to use clustered ejbs as notification proxy, but we think you don't like any solution using ejb. Isn't it?
                  b. We are thinking to use hajndi to register subsriptions. What do you think about?
                  c. We think the only part of jbossws needing a cluster solution is ws-eventing because it is the only part in which jbossws acts as client (meaning a source of soap message). Isn't it? Are you thinking about a more general clustering enhacement?

• 6. Re: ws-eventing: event notification failure
                    maeste

Heiko,
                    are you there? Any opinion on this post?
                    I have to release on production environment some ws-eventing services and I'd like to make them clustered and trap event notification failures.

thanks in advance

• 7. Re: ws-eventing: event notification failure
                      heiko.braun

sorry stefano, i missed this one. here are my two cents:

a) notification failures: sure, it sound reasonable to track them through the SubscriptionManager. Resending (means queuing) would require additonal constraints (expiration policy, softening, etc). This already sounds like jms integration to me. I was thinking about that in the beginning, if further QoS capabilities can be delegated to an JMS instance.

b) clustered environment: this would needs to be elaborated further. Could you provide some diagrams? We could use the WIKI for this...

c) Did you take alook at WS-Notifcation? WS-Eventing is kept really simple, WSN adds a lot of concepts. It might be worth comparing these specs before actually modifiying the WS-Eventing codebase.

d) If you have fun coding these issues, i have fun helping you out where ever i can. Please contact me directly if you need any additional svn privileges.

• 8. Re: ws-eventing: event notification failure
                        maeste

I have just write you an email with subject "WS-EVENTING"

• 9. Re: ws-eventing: event notification failure
                          heiko.braun

sorry, i did not get anything

• 10. Re: ws-eventing: event notification failure
                            maeste

I just resend it you.

• 11. Re: ws-eventing: event notification failure

Hi Heiko,

"heiko.braun@jboss.com" wrote:
                              a) notification failures: sure, it sound reasonable to track them through the SubscriptionManager. Resending (means queuing) would require additonal constraints (expiration policy, softening, etc). This already sounds like jms integration to me. I was thinking about that in the beginning, if further QoS capabilities can be delegated to an JMS instance.

we've just created a patch to track notification failures through the SubscriptionManager mbean: http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBWS-1406

bye
                              Alessio Soldano
                              http://www.javalinux.it/blogs/

• 12. Re: ws-eventing: event notification failure
                                heiko.braun

cool, thanks. i will take care that it get's included in 1.0.5.