1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next 132 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2011 1:57 AM by selfcare Go to original post
      • 60. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?
        dmitry.demyankov

It would be great to implement some kind of scroller in rich:tabPanel - if there are many tabs it doesn't look good.
        There might be some max width given for the tabPanel and all the tabs that don't fit can be seen using some kind of scroll.. hope I made it clear :)

Or there's a way to implement this kind of functionality for the tabPanel?

• 61. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?

"dmitry.demyankov" wrote:
          It would be great to implement some kind of scroller in rich:tabPanel - if there are many tabs it doesn't look good.
          There might be some max width given for the tabPanel and all the tabs that don't fit can be seen using some kind of scroll.. hope I made it clear :)

Or there's a way to implement this kind of functionality for the tabPanel?

did you see the tab scroller at the latest extjs ? If so, do you mean something like that or not?

• 62. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?
            dmitry.demyankov

Yep, exactly something like tab scroller in extjs. Can it be implemented?

• 63. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?

everything can be implemented. The question is how easy it might be done.
              No, such functionality is out-of-the-box yet. So, it should be done 100% on the application level.

I suggest, it should be two buttons (ajax or not) where you can manipulate with 'rendered' attribute of the rich:tabs in the action or action listeners of those buttons .

• 64. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?
                dmitry.demyankov

everything can be implemented. The question is how easy it might be done.

exactly :)

I suggest, it should be two buttons (ajax or not) where you can manipulate with 'rendered' attribute of the rich:tabs in the action or action listeners of those buttons .

And then the "list of the tabs" won't be scrollable? I don't know how horizontal scroll in scrollableDataTable is implemented but maybe it would be better to render the whole list of the tabs and let user "scroll" though the list?

• 65. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?
                  fanningr

I think this feature is badly needed also. If the extjs scrollable tabs is difficult to implement, it could just be a DHTML iframe something like this

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/richard.fanning/General

What you think? (Sorry about the link had nowhere else to upload)

Thanks

Rich

• 66. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?
                    dmitry.demyankov

Yep, that would be great - kind of drop down list with labels of those tabs that don't fit.

• 67. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?

First of all, thanks to Sergey for sponsoring this important discussion and for doing such good work.

I come into this discussion as both a developer and potential Red Hat investor.

As a developer, I can tell you I am in dire need of several components that have been mentioned already:

Sortable columns in a data table (Paging AND sorting in tables is simply a must for RichFaces. Period. That capability has been around for so long because of ASP .Net that IMHO it is unbelievable that it isn't there yet. Customers don't even think to ask for it because they just assume it.)

Rich text editor

Drop down suggest box to complement the input suggest box

I have voted accordingly on the Wiki.

As a potential investor, it seems that Red Hat is moving towards a product stack of Linux/Developer Studio/RichFaces/JBoss Middleware (Hibernate, Seam, etc.) to rival the Windows/VS .Net/ASP .Net/.NetMiddleware (COM, ADO. NET, etc.) stack. A bold and interesting play. However, to be competitive in that space, you simply need to look at all the things .Net does and do them all--and do them better.

For RichFaces, that means ripping off all the ASP .Net components and doing them better. So to me the question of WHAT to do is obvious while the question of priority is another matter. Then once you get all those done, rip off anything compelling provided by Tomahawk/ICEfaces/Otrix/etc. you don't already have. And even from Dojo/YUI and other JavaScript frameworks as well.

By the way, when I say "rip off," I don't mean to steal code of course but to steal ideas. Kinda like Microsoft did with C#.

RichFaces (and really everyone on the RH/JB team) has done a terrific job putting out some amazing software. But it seems to me that if you want to be a big player in this space, the way has been shown. It is just a matter of devoting the resources to make it happen over the next few years.

(Except for the sortable column headers. That needs to be done like tomorrow.)

And trust me. I am totally rooting for you.

• 68. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?
                        ova

I find very important

- Breadcrumbs
                        - Sortable data table
                        - File upload progressbar

I miss a breadcrumbs component in RichFaces. We use breadcrumbs in each web application, but I didn't find so far any capable breadcrumbs components. There is one in the Trinidad, but we cann't share it with our environment ! Please, provide this component in the next release.

Thanks.
                        Oleg.

• 69. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?
                          ova

I forgot to say: sortable data table should expect comparator classes to use already completed comparators for the sorting capability. For example:

<rich:column comparator=#{mybean.mycomparator}>...</rich:column>
                          or
                          <rich:column comparatorId="mycomparatorId">...</rich:column>

As far as I know, the MyFaces Tomahawk allows sortable data tables, but doesn't support own comparators.

"ova" wrote:
                          I find very important

- Breadcrumbs
                          - Sortable data table
                          - File upload progressbar

I miss a breadcrumbs component in RichFaces. We use breadcrumbs in each web application, but I didn't find so far any capable breadcrumbs components. There is one in the Trinidad, but we cann't share it with our environment ! Please, provide this component in the next release.

Thanks.
                          Oleg.

• 70. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?
                            henrik.lindberg

"SergeySmirnov" wrote:
                            "henrik.lindberg" wrote:
                            Although it is great to get more components and features. Our main problems have to do with quality, performance, diagnostics, and debugging.

what methodology you use for diagnostics and debugging.

I would say it is add hoc - trial and error to a large extent. Sometimes reading rich/14j source code trying to figure out what is wrong. Turned on debug tracing for some errors.

Basically first trying to establish if the web page is ok, is it submitting etc. Looking at generated source, then using firebug to trace http traffic, sometimes setting breakpoints in JS to see what is going on etc. Setting breakpoints in our app code to see if things are triggered etc.

An article on how to diagnose and debug would be much apreciated!

• 71. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?

RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?

My vision would be that the RichFaces Demo site be switched back to open access and be hosted on the jboss site.
                              The demo used to be freely accessible but now requires a user registration.

The demo is the perfect entry point both for users checking out RichFaces for the first time as well as a good point of reference for people already working with it.
                              Restricting access to the demo isn't going to foster the proliferation of RichFaces...

--

Now to the technical stuff. The component I miss the most is a draggable split pane, aka splitter. I already read that this component is subsummed by the term "Layout components" within the wiki RichFacesFuture page.

There is one feature that I proposed to Ed Burns for inclusion in JSF 2 and also on other occasions but didn't get any feedback on yet.
                              I would like to sketch it here as well hoping to receive other peoples opinions/input on it:

Within a given JSF view, it is most commonly the case that attributes of components that reappear within a view usually need to be set to the same values.

Consider view that contains 20 labels, each to have it's class attribute set to portlet-section-text or a form with 20 input fields with a rich:message components
                              beside each. It is likely to be the case that the icons for validation success or validation failure shall be the same for all rich:message ocurrences.

The view is therefore cluttered with reappearing attribute definitions, which, in the context of the respective user scenario can be regarded as default values.
                              I would enjoy having some feature available to set such attribute defaults on a higher level than within each component.

For example, consider the following mockup fragment using an imaginary component named "comp1":

<f:view>
                               <x:comp1 header-style="portlet-section-header" inset-style="portlet-section-text" tooltip="#{lookup(me.id)}" value="first" />
                               <x:comp1 header-style="portlet-section-header" inset-style="portlet-section-text" tooltip="#{lookup(me.id)}" value="second" />
                               <x:manyMoreComponents />
                               </f:view>

Wouldn't it be nicer to be able to write:

<x:default attribute="comp1.header-style" value="portlet-section-header" />
                               <x:default attribute="comp1.inset-style" value="portlet-section-text" />
                               <x:default attribute="comp1.tooltip" value="#{lookup(me.id)}" />

<f:view>
                               <x:comp1 value="first" />
                               <x:comp1 value="second" />
                               <x:manyMoreComponents />
                               </f:view>

I'm well aware that this might interfere quite dramatically with WYSIWYG JSF editors unless designed properly. Defining the defaults within a view is only a sketch. One might also think of other ways to pre-customize components to a user's context.

BTW, one could also think of this proposal as "server-side style sheets".

<x:defaults>
                               comp1 {
                               header-style: portlet-section-header;
                               inset-style: portlet-section-text;
                               tooltip: #lookup(me.id)
                               }
                              </x:defaults>

What's right for the client can't be wrong for the server, right? The stylesheet metaphor might inspire further ideas around attribute defaulting, like inheritance among styles or contextualization of style directives as in h1.div { ... } etc

• 72. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?
                                ybxiang.wolf

"SergeySmirnov" wrote:
                                Update: the overview is on the wiki - [url]
                                What do you thing about it? What do you expect from the RichFaces in the future? We are open to discuss now.

~~~~~~~~~I hope rich:calendar can select year freely, for example 1770.
                                ~~~~~~~~~I need rich:upload(why not just change s:upload to rich:upload?).
                                ~~~~~~~~~I need a modal component that pop up just like rich:calendar when i put on it and close(do nothing) when i push "x" or "cancel" button, and do something when i push "confirm".

• 73. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?
                                  ybxiang.wolf

"SergeySmirnov" wrote:
                                  "damianharvey" wrote:

How about a carousel based on something like this http://zend.lojcomm.com.br/icarousel/example3.asp

Such kind of components I can create by myself with CDK in one or two days without even bothering our developer team (Like I did with rich:effect). However, I am afraid people start to complain that we produce "toys", but not the real components.

~~~~~~~~Oh, no! Your toys are really good! I love them. Please just create them and don't care of complains from those fools who only know cristics but nothing else.

• 74. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?
                                    ybxiang.wolf

"bruno.arruda" wrote:
                                    I also think that the examples should always have a SIMPLEST version, I mean, if you look at the examples, most of them uses facelets, managed beans, advanced attributes, i think for the begginers user it might be a little confusing and hard-working... So I think that shold be samples that shows the core functions with maximum simplicty. Like a evolution of the livedemo page.

~~~~~~~~~I am afraid that i can not agree with you, RF is really easy enough. If somebody do not know how to use some compoments, he can refers to demo or ask in the forum.

1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next