6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2009 11:51 PM by stormtag

Dumb Question: Seam Editor Source/View

stormtag

This may be a question better suited to an eclipse forum but I'm not sure (as a former NetBeans user) whether the Seam/Facelets view editor is an extension of an existing piece that I should know about somewhere else or if its something custom to JBoss Tools/JBDS.

Basically, I really like that I can put the source and the view on the same screen. It makes it a lot easier to make changes and build my views. However, I would prefer if I could take advantage of my dual monitor setup and have the view on one screen and the source on another. Even figuring out how to put them side by side rather than stacked vertically would allow me to take full advantage of my wide-screen real estate.

The more I can see at any one time, the more I find I can get done! :)

I looked at the docs and this forum and couldn't find anything like this.

• 1. Re: Dumb Question: Seam Editor Source/View
          maxandersen

The visual page editor is something JBoss Tools provide.

I haven't tried this (on a limited box right now), but can't you simply open a new editor and they will be in sync ?

with respect to a vertical split open a feature request ;)

• 2. Re: Dumb Question: Seam Editor Source/View
            stormtag

Did try opening the same view in multiple tabs and they don't stay sync'd. When you change one, the other gets a * by its name, illustrating that it's been changed but it doesn't re-sync.

And cool. I'll do that once I can grab a few screen shots and build a mock up. I guess there would be two features. One that you can do a vertical split rather than a horizontal split and two, that you can take the Visual and Source sub-views into their own tabs and that they stay sync'd. That would allow you to do the dual monitor thing, I think.

• 3. Re: Dumb Question: Seam Editor Source/View
              stormtag

Whoops. I stand, somewhat corrected. After posting that, I went and played around a second and found a way to get it to do what I want, although it wasn't as I expected.

If you have two tabs open on the same file, one with source and one with preview if you edit the source view, the preview view does not automatically update. However, if you have one tab with source and the other with the visual/source option open, the visual portion will update if you change the source in the other tab.

I would've edited my previous post but it says I can't edit posts. >>;;

So, while this isn't exactly what I expected, it does do what I need it to do. I'll still probably suggest the vertical split though as a feature request.

• 4. Re: Dumb Question: Seam Editor Source/View
                maxandersen

Great - I would actually say you found a bug with respect to missing "sync"; the editors should just be editing the underlying DOM model which should be reflect in all editors.

Waiting patiently for your jira's ;)

• 5. Re: Dumb Question: Seam Editor Source/View
                  stormtag

Alright. I should get a chance to post them this evening.

• 6. Re: Dumb Question: Seam Editor Source/View
                    stormtag

Posted the JIRAs: JBIDE-4151 and JBIDE-4152