3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2010 12:32 PM by ebross

DeploymentException: 'No module with relative path' problem

ebross

Hello JBoss World,  I have just set up JBossAS [6.0.0.20101110-CR1 "Neo"] on Linux. I have an ear, currently running in production, happily, for over a year on JBoss-5.1.0.GA (and JBoss-5.0.0 before that)  without any major problem.  Now I have updated the libraries, dtds etc and try to deploy the same ear file on JBoss-6.0.0-CR1 but I am getting the following problems:

10:55:13,500 INFO  [PersistenceUnitValueMetaData] iDependOn persistence.unit:unitName=jboss-ejb3-timerservice-mk2.jar#timerdb 10:55:13,725 ERROR [AbstractKernelController] Error installing to PreReal: name=vfs:///opt/jboss/jboss-6.0.0-CR1/server/all/deploy/odmsEAR.ear state=PostClassLoader mode=Manual requiredState=PreReal: org.jboss.deployers.spi.DeploymentException: No module with relative path lib/odmsJPA.jar found  in set of modules for vfs:///opt/jboss/jboss-6.0.0-CR1/server/all/deploy/odmsEAR.ear [odmsEJB.jar, odmsWeb.war]   

at org.jboss.deployment.ModuleNameDeployer.establishUniqueModuleName(ModuleNameDeployer.java:163) [:6.0.0.20101110-CR1] at org.jboss.deployment.ModuleNameDeployer.deploy(ModuleNameDeployer.java:118) [:6.0.0.20101110-CR1]      at org.jboss.deployers.plugins.deployers.DeployerWrapper.deploy(DeployerWrapper.java:179) [:2.2.0.Alpha8]      at org.jboss.deployers.plugins.deployers.DeployersImpl.doDeploy(DeployersImpl.java:1832) [:2.2.0.Alpha8]      at org.jboss.deployers.plugins.deployers.DeployersImpl.doInstallParentFirst(DeployersImpl.java:1550) [:2.2.0.Alpha8]      at org.jboss.deployers.plugins.deployers.DeployersImpl.doInstallParentFirst(DeployersImpl.java:1603) [:2.2.0.Alpha8]

DEPLOYMENTS IN ERROR:   Deployment "vfs:///opt/jboss/jboss-6.0.0-CR1/server/all/deploy/odmsEAR.ear" is in error due to the following reason(s): org.jboss.deployers.spi.DeploymentException: No module with relative path lib/odmsJPA.jar found  in set of modules for vfs:///opt/jboss/jboss-6.0.0-CR1/server/all/deploy/odmsEAR.ear [odmsEJB.jar, odmsWeb.war] 

Please see the full 'myserver.log' attached.  

Here is my ear packaging structure 

[my-ear] 

- [lib]     

|- odmsJPA.jar     

|- odmsUtils.jar 

- [META-INF]      

|- application.xml     

|- jboss-application.xml 

- odmsEJB.jar 

- odmsWeb.jar 

- odmsEJBClient.jar 

Here is also is my 'application.xml':

<application...[too much to type here]>

<display-name>odmsEAR<display-name>

<module>

<ejb>odmsEJB.jar</ejb>

</module>

<module>

<web>

<web-url>odmsWeb.war</web-url>

<context-root> odmsWeb</context-root>      

</web>

<module>

</application>

For some reason aka "Neo" is treating the odmsJPA.jar  as a module which it is not. This happens whether I create the odmsJPA as JPA or Utility project. I think it is a bug but I am not sure hence this discussion. Has anyone encountered this problem using  JBossAS [6.0.0.20101110-CR1 "Neo"]? Please add your two cents to the discussion!

Thanks.   

• 1. Re: DeploymentException: 'No module with relative path' problem
          ebross

Over 14,500 downloads before me and yet no one has encountered this problem?  Oh well, I guess, I have to respond to myself.

According to JSR 317, “A persistence unit is defined by a persistence.xml” And  file root of  a  persistence unit could be in "a jar file in the EAR library directory". However, this does not work in JBoss-6.0.0-CR1. The following exception is thrown:

“...DeploymentException: 'No module with relative path' /lib/odmsJPA.jar.”

I noted that this exception is not thrown when 'odmsJPA.jar' does not contain 'persistence.xml'.

My workaround is to move persistence.xml from my JPA-JAR file to my EAR/META-INF directory. I also had to edit my persistence.xml to prefix with “/lib/odmsJPA.jar#” as follows

<persistence-unit name="/lib/odmsJPA.jar#odmsPersistenceUnit" transaction-type="JTA">
          <jar-file>/lib/odmsJPA.jar</jar-file>

I don't like it, but it works. I believe this is a JBoss-6.0.0-CR1 bug, right? I need consensus before I file it as a bug.

• 2. Re: DeploymentException: 'No module with relative path' problem
            jaikiran

10:55:13,725 ERROR [AbstractKernelController] Error installing to  PreReal:  name=vfs:///opt/jboss/jboss-6.0.0-CR1/server/all/deploy/odmsEAR.ear  state=PostClassLoader mode=Manual requiredState=PreReal:  org.jboss.deployers.spi.DeploymentException: No module with relative  path lib/odmsJPA.jar found  in set of modules for  vfs:///opt/jboss/jboss-6.0.0-CR1/server/all/deploy/odmsEAR.ear  [odmsEJB.jar, odmsWeb.war]  

at  org.jboss.deployment.ModuleNameDeployer.establishUniqueModuleName(ModuleNameDeployer.java:163)

This is a new piece of code introduced in AS6 (as compared to AS5). There might be some issue in there. I'll take a look later tomorrow at the code (am away currently).

• 3. Re: DeploymentException: 'No module with relative path' problem
              ebross