14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2011 4:24 AM by nickarls

Running GateIn on JBoss AS 6

michaelschuetz

Hi to all,

as we really suffer from bad turnaround times with GateIn running on AS 5.1, I would love to help to get it run on AS 6.

So, as AS 6 CR1 has been released and AS 7 is on schedule, huge API changes might not be expected.

Anyone already tried running GateIn on AS 6?

I would invest some time in helping to get it run. So, is there a JIRA issue, where current status can be tracked?

A description of what has been done in transforming plain AS 5.1 to be GateIn compatbile would help.

Thanks for any help

Cheers

Michael

• 1. Re: Running GateIn on JBoss AS 6
          theute

It would have to be tested to see the issues.

The classloading between 5 to 6 and then 6 to 7 are very different, and so far on JBoss 5 we rely on the Unified class loading, so the packaging will have to change (It's probably not the only thing).

The packaging of JBoss AS at the moment is very cumbersome and rely on a very old packaging technique. For Tomcat it moved to something much cleaner using only Maven  http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/gatein/portal/trunk/packaging/tomcat/

We may want to create   http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/gatein/portal/trunk/packaging/jboss5   http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/gatein/portal/trunk/packaging/tomcat/jboss6  http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/gatein/portal/trunk/packaging/jboss7 based on how this is done for Tomcat.

First thing to do would be to try to build GateIn with:

mvn clean install -Ppkg-jbossas (with packaging/profiles.xml pointing to a JBoss 6 installation) and see what it gives. I never tried that yet, too busy with EPP 5.1

Thanks for the help !

• 2. Re: Running GateIn on JBoss AS 6
            theute
            • 3. Re: Running GateIn on JBoss AS 6
              mstruk
              Here are the instruction to get GateIn working on latest JBoss AS 6
              I presume here that gatein portal trunk has been checked out to /devel/gatein
              1) Prepare JBoss AS
              Do either a) or b):
              a) Download latest JBossAS-6.0.0 http://www.jboss.org/jbossas/downloads.html
                 Extract zip into /devel/gatein/packaging/pkg/servers/jboss-as-6
              b) Checkout jbossas trunk
              # checkout jboss-as trunk and build it
              cd /devel
              cd /devel/jboss-as-6
              mvn clean install -DskipTests
              # copy the output into gatein code tree
              cp -r build/target/jboss-6.0.0-SNAPSHOT /devel/gatein/packaging/pkg/servers/jboss-as-6
              Now change some global jboss-as settings. First, turn off classloading isolation:
              vi /devel/gatein/packaging/pkg/server/jboss-as-6/server/default/deployers/ear-deployer-jboss-beans.xml
              find:
              <property name="isolated">true</property>
              make it:
              <property name="isolated">false</property>
              Also, exclude WEB-INF from classpath:
              vi /devel/gatein/packaging/pkg/server/jboss-as-6/server/default/deployers/jbossweb.deployer/META-INF/war-deployers-jboss-beans.xml
              find:
              <property name="includeWebInfInClasspath">true</property>
              make it:
              <property name="includeWebInfInClasspath">false</property>
              We're now ready to package GateIn.
              2) Build and package GateIn
              cd /devel/gatein
              mvn clean install -Ppkg-jbossas -Dgatein.checkout.dir=/devel/gatein -Dexo.projects.directory.dependencies=/devel/gatein/packaging/pkg/servers -Dexo.projects.app.jboss.version=jboss-as-6  -Dmaven.test.skip.exec=true
              3) Fix issues that would prevent built GateIn from starting up
              Remove gatein-sample-* stuff (jboss complains about web.xml)
              rm /devel/gatein/packaging/pkg/target/jboss/server/default/deploy/gatein-sample-*
              Remove wsrp (looks like it has some startup order related dependency issues)
              rm /devel/gatein/packaging/pkg/target/jboss/server/default/deploy/gatein.ear/wsrp-*
              vi /devel/gatein/packaging/pkg/target/jboss/server/default/deploy/gatein.ear/META-INF/application.xml
              Comment out wsrp modules at the end of the file:
                <!-- module>
                  <web>
                    <web-uri>wsrp-admin-gui.war</web-uri>
                    <context-root>wsrp-admin-gui</context-root>
                  </web>
                </module>
                <module>
                  <web>
                    <web-uri>wsrp-producer.war</web-uri>
                    <context-root>wsrp-producer</context-root>
                  </web>
                </module -->
              3) Start GateIn
              cd /devel/gatein/packaging/pkg/target/jboss/bin
              run

Here are the instruction to get GateIn working on latest JBoss AS 6.

I presume here that GateIn portal trunk (http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/gatein/portal/trunk) has been checked out to /devel/gatein.

1) Prepare JBoss AS

Do either a) or b):

a) Download latest JBossAS-6.0.0 (http://www.jboss.org/jbossas/downloads.html)

Extract zip into /devel/gatein/packaging/pkg/servers/jboss6

b) Checkout jboss-as trunk and build it

cd /devel

svn co http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/jbossas/trunk jboss6

cd /devel/jboss6

mvn clean install -DskipTests

# copy the output into gatein code tree

cp -r build/target/jboss-6.0.0-SNAPSHOT /devel/gatein/packaging/pkg/servers/jboss6

Now change some global jboss-as settings. First, turn off classloading isolation:

vi /devel/gatein/packaging/pkg/server/jboss6/server/default/deployers/ear-deployer-jboss-beans.xml

find:

<property name="isolated">true</property>

make it:

<property name="isolated">false</property>

Also, exclude WEB-INF from classpath:

vi /devel/gatein/packaging/pkg/server/jboss6/server/default/deployers/jbossweb.deployer/META-INF/war-deployers-jboss-beans.xml

find:

<property name="includeWebInfInClasspath">true</property>

make it:

<property name="includeWebInfInClasspath">false</property>

We're now ready to package GateIn.

2) Build and package GateIn

cd /devel/gatein

mvn clean install -Ppkg-jbossas -Dgatein.checkout.dir=/devel/gatein -Dexo.projects.directory.dependencies=/devel/gatein/packaging/pkg/servers -Dexo.projects.app.jboss.version=jboss6  -Dmaven.test.skip.exec=true

3) Fix issues that would prevent built GateIn from starting up

Remove gatein-sample-* stuff (jboss complains about web.xml)

rm /devel/gatein/packaging/pkg/target/jboss/server/default/deploy/gatein-sample-*

Remove wsrp (looks like it has some startup order related dependency issues)

rm /devel/gatein/packaging/pkg/target/jboss/server/default/deploy/gatein.ear/wsrp-*

vi /devel/gatein/packaging/pkg/target/jboss/server/default/deploy/gatein.ear/META-INF/application.xml

Comment out wsrp modules at the end of the file:

<!-- module>

<web>

<web-uri>wsrp-admin-gui.war</web-uri>

<context-root>wsrp-admin-gui</context-root>

</web>

</module>

<module>

<web>

<web-uri>wsrp-producer.war</web-uri>

<context-root>wsrp-producer</context-root>

</web>

</module -->

3) Start GateIn

cd /devel/gatein/packaging/pkg/target/jboss/bin

run

Hopefully I didn't miss some step here, and you'll be able to get it working

• 4. Re: Running GateIn on JBoss AS 6
                michaelschuetz

Thanks a lot for your replies.Sounds promising.

I will check this out within the next week.

Cheers

Michael

• 5. Re: Running GateIn on JBoss AS 6
                  claprun

Doesn't work for me:

14:13:57,320 INFO  [TomcatDeployment] deploy, ctxPath=/portal
                  14:13:57,382 ERROR [JBossContextConfig] Error processing: context.xml: org.jboss.web.tomcat.service.session.distributedcache.spi.ClusteringNotSupportedException: No DistributedCacheManagerFactory service provider found.

Resulting in:

DEPLOYMENTS IN ERROR:
                    Deployment "jboss.web.deployment:war=/portal" is in error due to the following reason(s): org.jboss.deployers.spi.DeploymentException: URL file:/Users/gatein/portal/trunk/packaging/pkg/target/jboss/server/default/deploy/gatein.ear/02portal.war/ deployment failed

at org.jboss.deployers.plugins.deployers.DeployersImpl.checkComplete(DeployersImpl.java:1228) [:2.2.0.Alpha8]
                      at org.jboss.deployers.plugins.main.MainDeployerImpl.checkComplete(MainDeployerImpl.java:905) [:2.2.0.Alpha8]
                      at org.jboss.system.server.profileservice.deployers.MainDeployerPlugin.checkComplete(MainDeployerPlugin.java:87) [:6.0.0.20101110-CR1]
                      at org.jboss.profileservice.deployment.ProfileDeployerPluginRegistry.checkAllComplete(ProfileDeployerPluginRegistry.java:118) [:0.1.0.Alpha1]
                      at org.jboss.system.server.profileservice.bootstrap.BasicProfileServiceBootstrap.start(BasicProfileServiceBootstrap.java:133) [:6.0.0.20101110-CR1]
                      at org.jboss.system.server.profileservice.bootstrap.BasicProfileServiceBootstrap.start(BasicProfileServiceBootstrap.java:56) [:6.0.0.20101110-CR1]
                      at org.jboss.bootstrap.impl.base.server.AbstractServer.startBootstraps(AbstractServer.java:827) [jboss-bootstrap-impl-base.jar:2.1.0-alpha-5]
                      at org.jboss.bootstrap.impl.base.server.AbstractServer$StartServerTask.run(AbstractServer.java:417) [jboss-bootstrap-impl-base.jar:2.1.0-alpha-5]
                      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680) [:1.6.0_22]

• 6. Re: Running GateIn on JBoss AS 6
                    mstruk

Looks like this is a JBossAS 6 CR1 specific bug, that was already taken care of in jboss-as trunk (http://community.jboss.org/message/572779).

I can replicate the problem with CR1. M5 and trunk work fine for me.

• 7. Re: Running GateIn on JBoss AS 6
                      nickarls

I can confirm this still works for AS 6 Final (you have to remember to add the exo repository for building). Did we have to comment out anything important in the wsrp? It would be cool to have AS 6 OOTB since there aren't many EE 6 portlet containers out there yet(?)

• 8. Re: Running GateIn on JBoss AS 6
                        claprun

I have a potential fix for WSRP and AS 6 that I need to test. Will try to do that today.

• 9. Re: Running GateIn on JBoss AS 6
                          michaelschuetz

Would be nice if someone could provide an already patched AS 6 final to download.

Thanks,

Michael

• 10. Running GateIn on JBoss AS 6
                            nickarls

Did you find time to test?

• 11. Running GateIn on JBoss AS 6
                              claprun

I haven't been able to test WSRP per se due to some issues with the WSRP admin portlet. However, if you're not using WSRP, GateIn should deploy properly on AS 6, at least in the minimal testing I've done. I'd be interested in hearing about your experience.

• 12. Running GateIn on JBoss AS 6
                                nickarls

Well, I have very little GateIn (or portal engine for that matter) experience so I can only report that it runs with the instructions given above. I tried skipping the fixes one by one but they were still required in order to start up.

• 13. Re: Running GateIn on JBoss AS 6
                                  mstruk

There's new packaging available in the trunk, that supports jboss-as6 (see packaging/jboss-as6/README.txt).

It also has a download option.

Go, give it a try

• 14. Running GateIn on JBoss AS 6
                                    nickarls

Worked