9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2010 8:32 PM by thomas.diesler

Initial AS7 integration

thomas.diesler

Hi Aslak,

[ARQ-333] Provide AS7 embedded container

[ARQ-334] Provide AS7 remote container

good seeing you in Antwerp.

During the EAP6 kickoff meeting it became clear that AS7 is wanting to us Arquillian as it overall integration test strategy. EAP6 is now top priority for all teams. Because I'm reasonable familliar with both Arquillian and AS7 I thought I would give it a go ...

To make it easier for you to consume I rolled back everything I did so far on the JMX protocoll and the OSGi containers. In a later step I restored that work without changing the ARQ API/SPI in the same commit

bd96083 AS7: Remove OSGi related modules

ae3418e AS7: Update to jboss-logging 3.0.0.Beta3

a03ddfb AS7: Add minimum SPI changes required by OSGi, AS7

1b9f024 AS7: Restore OSGi related modules

34fadd2 AS7: Add JBossAS7 related modules

The work is ready for you to pull from: https://github.com/jbosgi/arquillian/tree/jbas7

At the the same time I added an Arquillian subsystem to AS7, which you need to use when you want to try the new AS7 containers. Because AS7 cannot use SNAPSHOTS, we are going to need frequent ARQ dev releases.

cheers

-thomas

• 1. Re: Initial AS7 integration
          alesj

34fadd2 AS7: Add JBossAS7 related modules

I think you're actually missing proper *embedded* container.

Your embedded container is actually what Arq calls managed.

• 2. Re: Initial AS7 integration
            thomas.diesler

If you refer to the embedded container using a seperate java process, it is because AS7 needs to startup strictly in a modular fasion ( i.e. jboss-modules.jar) is the only allowed entry on the classpath. If the curent impl is managed instead of embedded we can rename the module.

• 3. Re: Initial AS7 integration
              alesj

If the curent impl is managed instead of embedded we can rename the module.

Yes, I think you should rename it -- to make it consistent with the Arq terminology.

(Aslak should confrim this, as I'm just an outside observer )

Afaik, Kabir is working on the proper embedded version.

But due to new modularity, things are not as trivial to hack together.

* http://community.jboss.org/message/571929#571929

• 4. Re: Initial AS7 integration
                kabirkhan

Ales Justin wrote:

Afaik, Kabir is working on the proper embedded version.

But due to new modularity, things are not as trivial to hack together.

* http://community.jboss.org/message/571929#571929

This is "almost" ready now, so I'd be happy to talk to Aslak next week about how to move forward with this

• 5. Re: Initial AS7 integration
                  alesj
                  This is "almost" ready now, so I'd be happy to talk to Aslak next week about how to move forward with this

I guess you should move your AS7-embedded code to Arq?

At least the start-up pieces; e.g. stuff you do in your demos.

• 6. Re: Initial AS7 integration
                    kabirkhan

No, the embedded stuff should live in AS7 so regressions are picked up quickly. Arquillian can consume the embedded maven artifacts. People might want to run embedded AS7 for whatever reason without using Arquillian.

• 7. Re: Initial AS7 integration
                      alesj
                      No, the embedded stuff should live in AS7 so regressions are picked up quickly. Arquillian can consume the embedded maven artifacts. People might want to run embedded AS7 for whatever reason without using Arquillian.

Sure.

I meant that your "demo bootstrap phase" (if there is one -- haven't looked yet ),

should be rewritten to *true* Arq embedded container impl.

• 8. Re: Initial AS7 integration
                        aslak

This is excellent news!

If the 'current' embedded impl is stated in a different vm but lifecycle managed by arquillian, it should be renamed Managed as Ales pointed out.

• 9. Re: Initial AS7 integration
                          thomas.diesler

Kabir, there are issues with logging initialization when the embedded server is started from the ARQ test client.

ARQ uses java.util.logging which breaks the notion of "init logging on module bootstrap" - I can probably have this fixed early next week.