1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2010 11:40 AM by timfox

moving to Maven

ataylor

Chaps,

At some point we will probably need to migrate to Maven, groan i hear you say , however at the minute we are uploading our maven artifacts by hand which is a pain and also users are going to start wanting proper artifacts with proper depenedencies. It will be an upheaval, we would need a separate folder for each artifact each with its own pom but it would mean we could control our dependencies better.

I for one would rather do this sooner rather than later, weve just got 2.1 out and now seems a good a time as any. what do you guys think?

• 1. Re: moving to Maven
          clebert.suconic

I guess it's inevitable at this point.

I would say we create a branch and do the work in another branch

• 2. Re: moving to Maven
            clebert.suconic

Clebert Suconic wrote:

I guess it's inevitable at this point.

I would say we create a branch and do the work in another branch

I hadn't finished the previous post. Something pressed "Post Message" automagically.. weird.

Anyway, as I was saying... we create another branch...

And don't move any files on the branch. Instead we create a script that will move the files.

Tim is working on a branch. Besides.. we could just apply the script at the time of the merge, and move everything in a single shot, which would include any new works.

The branch will help us to validate our environments also before moving.

• 3. Re: moving to Maven
              jmesnil

+1 (as I replied on the wrong thread http://community.jboss.org/message/551161)

• 4. Re: moving to Maven
                ataylor

Why dont i start the work in a branch and when we are all happy i can merge it into trunk. Even if th emerge is a mare i can easily just move stuff about again and recreate what i need to on trunk, i.e. poms etc.

• 5. Re: moving to Maven
                  jmesnil

Andy Taylor wrote:

Why dont i start the work in a branch and when we are all happy i can merge it into trunk. Even if th emerge is a mare i can easily just move stuff about again and recreate what i need to on trunk, i.e. poms etc.

+1, moving files and packages could be simple to redo in the trunk.

the hard stuff is writing the pom and the targets (to run unit-tests, integration-tests) for each submodules

• 6. Re: moving to Maven
                    jmesnil

Andy Taylor wrote:

the hard stuff is writing the pom and the targets (to run unit-tests, integration-tests) for each submodules.

• 7. Re: moving to Maven
                      clebert.suconic

Andy Taylor wrote:

If you move the files through a script.. merge will be a 5 minutes job.

Besides.. I guess this is important.. as we want to make sure we will keep the history of the moved files.

We need to make sure we will use svn move or some similar svn command.

• 8. Re: moving to Maven
                        clebert.suconic

"the hard stuff is writing the pom and the targets (to run unit-tests, integration-tests) for each submodules"

BTW: I would keep the testsuite using ant to run the tests. And use a pom to build the dependencies.

The unit tests could be part of the build on maven though.

It's just that I don't like the idea of long running tests on maven (50+ minutes). IMO maven tess are for unit and fast tests only.

What you guys think?

• 9. Re: moving to Maven
                          ataylor

Jeff Mesnil wrote:

Andy Taylor wrote:

the hard stuff is writing the pom and the targets (to run unit-tests, integration-tests) for each submodules.

I can just take a look at how the AS does it.

• 10. Re: moving to Maven
                            ataylor

Clebert Suconic wrote:

Andy Taylor wrote:

If you move the files through a script.. merge will be a 5 minutes job.

Besides.. I guess this is important.. as we want to make sure we will keep the history of the moved files.

We need to make sure we will use svn move or some similar svn command.

what history would be lost if i just redid the changes as Jeff and I suggested?

• 11. Re: moving to Maven
                              ataylor

BTW: I would keep the testsuite using ant to run the tests. And use a pom to build the dependencies.

The unit tests could be part of the build on maven though.

It's just that I don't like the idea of long running tests on maven (50+ minutes). IMO maven tess are for unit and fast tests only.

What you guys think?

Yes thats how the AS does it and we would do it the same way

• 12. Re: moving to Maven
                                timfox

Andy Taylor wrote:

Chaps,

At some point we will probably need to migrate to Maven, groan i hear you say , however at the minute we are uploading our maven artifacts by hand which is a pain and also users are going to start wanting proper artifacts with proper depenedencies. It will be an upheaval, we would need a separate folder for each artifact each with its own pom but it would mean we could control our dependencies better.

I for one would rather do this sooner rather than later, weve just got 2.1 out and now seems a good a time as any. what do you guys think?

Yes, at some point. But not now.

We have much more urgent stuff to do first.

• 13. Re: moving to Maven
                                  bill.burke

Andy Taylor wrote:

Jeff Mesnil wrote:

Andy Taylor wrote:

I can just take a look at how the AS does it.

I wouldn't copy how AS does it, it is a fucking mess IMO.

I'd be willing to do the work in trunk if I didn't have to maintain it.  code will have to be moved and directories re-organized to do it correctly.  What requirements do you have besides:

* automatic javadoc gen

* automatic upload to jboss repository

* distribution creation

Let me know if you want me to do it.  I can start on Thursday.  Also let me know if you want me to do it within trunk/ or in a branch.

BTW, I despised maven the first few months I used it.  The hardest thing to get used to is the fact you can't have one pom.xml to rule them all and have to split things up into modules.  (and also the poort maven documentation).  Now I can't live without it.  There's always voodoo magic when it comes to builds, maven, ant, or whatever, but the structure maven forces you into really helps you think about dependencies and how they are consumed.  It is also a godsend to be able to open a pom.xml through Intellij and have all your classpaths all set up automatically.

• 14. Re: moving to Maven
                                    ataylor

Yes, at some point. But not now.

We have much more urgent stuff to do first.

I would have thought that the beginning of a development life cycle phase would be the best time to do it.

1 2 Previous Next