5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2011 6:42 PM by swick

Problem Starting JBoss AS with JBoss Tools

swick

I am using...

Eclipse Indigo for J2EE SR1 (20110916-0149) Win32

JBossAS Tools Plugin v2.2.0v20110729-2006-H221-Final

Windows Vista SP2

JBoss EAP 4.3 by Redhat

I have created a JBoss Runtime in Eclipse to start up the "all" server.

JBoss starts just fine, I can log into it with a web browser on port 8080, but after 450 seconds I get an error message from Eclipse stating that Eclipse could not start the JBoss server.  I am using the "Web Poller", and it seems to be configured correctly.

I changed to the Timeout Poller and the JMX Poller with the same result.  I even set up the admin user in jmx-console-users.properties, and verified that I can log into the JMX Console as admin via the web browser.

What am I missing?

Message was edited by: Stephen Wick Added eclipse errors.txt

• 1. Re: Problem Starting JBoss AS with JBoss Tools
          swick

Any update on this?  Can anyone point me in the right direction to troubleshoot this problem?

• 2. Re: Problem Starting JBoss AS with JBoss Tools
            swick

So I found this related Discussion:  http://community.jboss.org/message/620211#620211

I uninstalled JBoss Tools 3.2 and Installed JBoss Tools Core 3.3.0.M4, "JBoss Web and Java EE Development" group.

I deleted and recreated my JBoss EAP 4.3 Runtime.

Now I cannot start my JBoss Server.  The error I get is "NoClassDefFoundError:  org/jboss/Main"

• 3. Re: Problem Starting JBoss AS with JBoss Tools
              swick

Under "Edit launch configuration properties" > "Remote Launch" tab I see the following string in the Start Command text area.

java "-Dprogram.name=JBossTools: JBoss EAP 4.3 Runtime: jms1" -Xms256m -Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval=3600000 -Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=3600000 "-Djava.endorsed.dirs=lib\endorsed"  -Djava.library.path="bin\native" -classpath bin/run.jar org.jboss.Main --configuration=jms1  -b localhost  -Djboss.server.base.url=file:server &

This value was automatically generated by the plug-in.

-Djboss.server.base.url looks incorrect to me.

It is missing a very important option which is required for clustering services to start up correctly.  This option is also included by default in the run.bat for JBoss EAP 4.3: -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

The double-quotation marks are very inconsistent.  See: -Djava.endorsed.dirs and -Djava.library.path.

How do I fix this?

• 4. Re: Problem Starting JBoss AS with JBoss Tools
                swick

I opened a support case to address this issue:  https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-10198

• 5. Re: Problem Starting JBoss AS with JBoss Tools
                  swick

I figured it out, I think.

When I created the Server, the default value of the Server Name field is "JBoss EAP 4.3 Runtime: jms1 Server".  I get a NoClassDefFoundError: org/jboss/Main when I try to start the server.

I deleted the Server.

Then I created a new Server with the Name, "jms1". 

Now when I start the server I get a different error, "org.jgroups.ChannelException: failed to start protocol stack, Caused by: java.lang.Exception: exception caused by UDP.start(), Caused by: java.lang.Exception: problem creating sockets (bind_addr=localhost/127.0.0.1, mcast_addr=230.1.2.7:45577), Caused by: java.net.SocketException: An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket".

I get this same error several times in the Eclipse Console.

After appending the string " -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true" to the VM Arguments textarea of the Launch Configuration for my server "jms1", it starts up with no errors and Eclipse detects that the JBoss server is running!