2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2011 11:05 AM by dantepasquale

Proper version of JBoss AS, Java, EJB3/2 for Oracle 10g

dantepasquale

Hi, I'm tasked with moving an app written for Jboss 2 from an old server to a new server. The app connects to an Oracle 10g RDBMS running on the same server as JBoss. I've installed and configured the following.

JBoss: 4.2.3 GA

EJB3: 1.0.19

Java: 1.5

Oracle RDBMS: 10g r2

Is this the proper configuration?

Should I be using new versions?

My reason for asking is that when researching this configuration, the limiting factor is the classes12.jar file to connect to 10g. I read that it only works with Java 1.4 and 1.5. I'm not a developer, but I'm thinking that the newer versions of odjbc would require code changes, which we are trying to avoid unless this doesn't work.

Thanks, Danté

• 1. Re: Proper version of JBoss AS, Java, EJB3/2 for Oracle 10g
          wdfink

If the application does not use any Oracle specific features I see no problem to change the classes12.jar to ojdbc#.jar.

This should work without any codechange for the most of applications because the JEE app should not access the DB connections directly.

Even if there are some Oracle optimizations, I do such in an application, it works also without any change of code.

I recommend to use JBoss 5.1 with Java6 and a new ojdbc driver.

• 2. Re: Proper version of JBoss AS, Java, EJB3/2 for Oracle 10g
            dantepasquale

Thanks, I think that's one of the combinations I haven't actually tried! AFAIK, the app does inserts/updates/selects nothing like creating tablespaces,indicies etc. I'll give this combination a try today.