9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2011 4:01 AM by mrmoe

jBPM5.2: own service task feature usable with the console?

hamsterdancer

Hi there,

I've seen some great news on Krisv's Blog (http://kverlaen.blogspot.com/http://kverlaen.blogspot.com/) about the possibility to integrate and use own service tasks on graphical editors (and some other great news^^).

This is one point I was working on (more or less) for my project. So I've got some questions about this.

1. Will the own servicetask only be usable in the eclipse process editor or even in the designer?
      2. After a process with an own service task has been created is the process also runnable by the console or only with own java classes?
        1. If yes: Will it be possible to add and replace new servicetasks dynamically at runtime of the console?
        • 1. Re: jBPM5.2: own service task feature usable with the console?
          swiderski.maciej

You can have it defined in both tools (eclipse and web designer) for details have a look at http://vimeo.com/29457538

In general you can run it from jBPM console, you just need to make sure that work item handlers are registered for your custom service nodes.

hamsterdancer wrote:

1. If yes: Will it be possible to add and replace new servicetasks dynamically at runtime of the console?

Not sure what you mean by that?!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: jBPM5.2: own service task feature usable with the console?
            hamsterdancer

Ah, thanks.

hamsterdancer wrote:

Not sure what you mean by that?!

I was wondering, wehether it is possible to simply deploy it to a running system (including the console) so that the console is able to use the newly deployed work item handler.

• 3. Re: jBPM5.2: own service task feature usable with the console?
              mrmoe

Hi there,

i installed the 5.2 Snapshot today and i tried to create a work definition in the local drools-gunvor site (like the video http://vimeo.com/29457538 shows). But there is no menu entry that says "new work item definition". So what do i wrong? At least there is a gap in the documentation about the work definitions i cant find a point that describes the deployment of work item definitions.

• 4. Re: jBPM5.2: own service task feature usable with the console?
                hamsterdancer

@mrmoe:

I had the same problem. The solution is easy .... you have just to install Drools 5.3 in addition to it;)

See:

http://community.jboss.org/message/626654#626654

• 5. Re: jBPM5.2: own service task feature usable with the console?
                  mrmoe

Thx for your response, i just tested it and i can define a workitem definition. So i created my own Java Class work item in the web designer. But i cant use it in the designer, when trying to use it by drag and drop, it justs pops back to the palette. Next question is the usage of my work item java implementation, i havent heard a word about it in the video, from where comes the email work item java implementation? For new users it just looks a little bit like magic.

Im doing a evaluation for open source process engines and i have to say that i am frustrated about the documentation and the "how to use" of JBPM.

• 6. Re: jBPM5.2: own service task feature usable with the console?
                    tsurdilovic

>> But i cant use it in the designer, when trying to use it by drag and drop, it justs pops back to the palette. << sorry I have not seen this behaviour yet - what are the Guvnor and Designer versions you are using? Can you watch the designer part of the following video and let me know if you can reproduce the same - http://vimeo.com/29457538?

>> Next question is the usage of my work item java implementation, i havent heard a word about it in the video, from where comes the email work item java implementation? For new users it just looks a little bit like magic. << Good point. You can actually reference the documentation chapter 13 to get an idea on what to do - http://docs.jboss.org/jbpm/v5.1/userguide/ch13.html. The jBPM Web Designer does not deal with the actual workitem handler implementation..that is for the user to configure in their runtime.

>> Im doing a evaluation for open source process engines and i have to say that i am frustrated about the documentation and the "how to use" of JBPM. << We are constantly working on updates to the documentation, however most users will be able to see all that work with the jBPM 5.2 release docs (unless you build the jbpm-docs module from master now ). You are always more than welcome to ask questions here or on the mailing list or irc as well.

Hope this helps.

• 7. Re: jBPM5.2: own service task feature usable with the console?
                      mrmoe

what are the Guvnor and Designer versions you are using?

I used the Drools Guvnor Version 5.3.0.Beta1 and JBPM 5.2.SNAPSHOT from last week.

Can you watch the designer part of the following video and let me know if you can reproduce the same - http://vimeo.com/29457538?

I tried but the behavior is the same, when dragging the task into my process, it just pops back to palette ( but green hook is shown before!).

You can actually reference the documentation chapter 13 to get an idea on what to do - http://docs.jboss.org/jbpm/v5.1/userguide/ch13.html. The jBPM Web Designer does not deal with the actual workitem handler implementation..that is for the user to configure in their runtime.

Does this mean i have to pack my work item java implementation into the .jar file that i have to upload? I really need to control my tasks by Java.

Thanks a lot for taking some time to give me a reply.

EDIT: Another really important question for my company is: when will be a release of JBPM 5.2 ?

• 8. Re: jBPM5.2: own service task feature usable with the console?
                        tsurdilovic

>> I tried but the behavior is the same, when dragging the task into my process, it just pops back to palette ( but green hook is shown before!). <<

Sorry I have not seen this behaviour yet and would like to get to the bottom of it. Are you getting an JS errors? Can you show your workitem definitions configuration file so I can try to reproduce? What is the designer version used?

>> Does this mean i have to pack my work item java implementation into the .jar file that i have to upload? I really need to control my tasks by Java. <<

Yes, you have to provide the handler implementations to the runtime classpath for your runtime to be able to pick it up and use it

>> EDIT: Another really important question for my company is: when will be a release of JBPM 5.2 ? <<

It is scheduled for end-of-the-month.

Edit: what is the browser type and version?

• 9. Re: jBPM5.2: own service task feature usable with the console?
                          mrmoe

What is the designer version used?

I'm using the designer 1.0.0.054, drools.guvnor Version 5.3.0.Beta1 and JBPM 5.2. I dont get any JS errors, im also using firefox 7.0.2

Yes, you have to provide the handler implementations to the runtime classpath for your runtime to be able to pick it up and use it

Should i upload also my main class from eclipse? Otherwards the registration of my Workitemhandler would be gone..

Here my Workitemdefinition:

import org.drools.process.core.datatype.impl.type.StringDataType;

[

// the Notification work item

[

"name" : "Java Class",

"parameters" : [

"Description" : new StringDataType(),

],

"displayName" : "Java Class",

"icon" : "icons/help.gif"

]

]

Thank you really a lot for your time and patience.