7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2011 9:51 PM by rjbaty

JBossEAP6-Alpha Support in JBDS5-M3

rjbaty

Hello,

It looks like support was added in the JBDS5-M3 release for the upcoming JBossEAP6 server, I believe JBDS5-M3 is based on JBoss Tools 3.3.0.M3 release but I am not 100% sure. 

I am trying to use this EAP6 Alpha1 server  and appear to be having some trouble getting JBDS5-M3 to recognize it as an acceptable "Server Runtime".  I appear to be able to use JBossAS 7 community servers and add them to the classpath of my project just fine.

Perhaps a bug in the EAP6 "experimental" server configuration?  Just wondering if anyone else has seen this yet.

Thanks,

Robert

• 1. Re: JBossEAP6-Alpha Support in JBDS5-M3
          maxandersen

What errors are you getting and where ?

There could have been last minute changes in the Alpha release that we've missed (Alpha was released *after* M3) but it worked when I tried

The automatic runtime detection isn't there yet though.

• 2. Re: JBossEAP6-Alpha Support in JBDS5-M3
            rjbaty

Hey Max,

I seem to be able to create a JBossEAP6 Alpha1 server in the preference menuing in JBDS 5-M3 (Window | Preferences | Server | Runtime Environments).  However, when trying to add that Server as a Library to a project build path it doesn't seem to be listed. 

As an example after you create the JBossEAP6 Alpha1 server in JBDS create a simple Web project.  Right-click | Properties | Java Build Path | Libraries.  Select Add Library... | Server Runtime and I usually see all the server I have defined in JBDS listed there as options to add to the project build path.  JBossEAP6 Alpha1 doesn't seem to be listed.

Its kind of a nit.  I am able to get around this by just making JBossEAP6 Alpha1 classified as a JBossAS 7 server and then it appears correct as a Server Runtime that I can add to any project.

Make sense?

Robert

• 3. Re: JBossEAP6-Alpha Support in JBDS5-M3
              maxandersen

Server != Runtime

Does File > New > Server > JBoss EAP 6 not work for you ?

btw. I noticed a bug when trying this out, the server is created with "Use workspace metadata" when created - you need to change that to "use deploy folder" if that happens to you (under the Deployment page)

• 4. Re: JBossEAP6-Alpha Support in JBDS5-M3
                maxandersen

btw. https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-9787 for that bug.

Robert, if you still can't create a server with EAP 6 alpha then please open a bug report at https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBIDE with screenshots of what fails when you use File New Server.

ooooh - now I found the bug the EAP server is for some reason not assignable as a runtime - like you just said, I just didn't grok it upfront. doh.

Created bug for that too: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-9788

But please be aware that both AS7 and EAP6 right now aren't really fully functional as runtime libraries since the module system aren't fully accesible to us (yet)

• 5. Re: JBossEAP6-Alpha Support in JBDS5-M3
                  rjbaty

Yep, I think you got it and JBIDE-9788 looks to outline the issue, I'll track that JIRA for resolution.

The metadata bug JBIDE-9787 I have seen for some time and I hope you guys move away from that as the default config with the final release of JBDS5.  Storing the deployable EAR or WAR in an eclipse metadata folder always gets out of sync with the server especially if you are changing server configurations outside of JBDS.  We have always switched that to "use JBoss deploy" folder for previous EAP servers like 4.3 and 5.  Not sure what the correct answer is for JBossAS7 and EAP6 though.

I do get some of the AS7 runtime libraries from <JBOSS_AS7>/modules/javax when I assign the runtime library to a project.  I just had issues with both JSF 2.0 and JSF 1.2 libraries being on the classpath.  This all might be interrelated though.

Robert

• 6. Re: JBossEAP6-Alpha Support in JBDS5-M3
                    maxandersen

The metadata bug JBIDE-9787 I have seen for some time and I hope you guys move away from that as the default config with the final release of JBDS5.

It's not supposed to be set to that value for EAP6/AS7 - hence the bug.

Storing the deployable EAR or WAR in an eclipse metadata folder always gets out of sync with the server especially if you are changing server configurations outside of JBDS.  We have always switched that to "use JBoss deploy" folder for previous EAP servers like 4.3 and 5.  Not sure what the correct answer is for JBossAS7 and EAP6 though.

The reason we use workspace one is that AS3-6 contains *alot* of other deployments and actually cleaning up could be daunting plus some users run of an AS/EAP on which they cannot write to the default deploy folder and finally users were complaining we were "polluting" their AS/EAP install with their development deploys ... thats the primary reasons why we did it.

I do get some of the AS7 runtime libraries from <JBOSS_AS7>/modules/javax when I assign the runtime library to a project.  I just had issues with both JSF 2.0 and JSF 1.2 libraries being on the classpath.  This all might be interrelated though.

hmm - could you report that one - that should have been fixed, but apparently isn't.

Thanks!

• 7. Re: JBossEAP6-Alpha Support in JBDS5-M3
                      rjbaty

Max,

I think I was mistaken on the last comment.  I used to get the JSF 2.0 and 1.2 libraries on JBDS5-M2.  Just tried it again in JBDS5-M3 and the issue looks to be resolved, only JSF 2.0 libraries now.  I also seem to be getting

<JBossAS7_Home>/modules/javax

<JBossAS7_Home>/modules/org/hibernate/validator

<JBossAS7_Home>/modules/org/picketbox

<JBossAS7_Home>/modules/org/jboss/logging

<JBossAS7_Home>/modules/org/jboss/dmr

<JBossAS7_Home>/modules/org/jboss/as/controller-client

<JBossAS7_Home>/modules/org/jboss/resteasy

which look to be expanded from what was available in JBDS5-M2 as I only saw javax libraries there.

Robert