1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 20, 2011 9:03 AM by stevemaring

Reference cannot be cast to DataSource w/ standalone app client

stevemaring

I am trying to unit test some JPA2 DAO classes I wrote using Maven.  The persistence.xml looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<persistence version="2.0"

xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"

xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence/persistence_2_0.xsd">

<persistence-unit name="lifesmartEntityManager" transaction-type="RESOURCE_LOCAL">

<provider>org.hibernate.ejb.HibernatePersistence</provider>

<non-jta-data-source>MyDS</non-jta-data-source>

<properties>

<property name="hibernate.dialect" value="org.hibernate.dialect.Oracle10gDialect" />

<property name="hibernate.show-sql" value="true" />

</properties>

</persistence-unit>

</persistence>

I have deployed the DataSource to a running instance of AS 6.1.0.Final and confirmed that the global JNDIView has:

+- MyDS (class: javax.sql.DataSource)

When I try to run my tests, which rely on Hibernate EntityManager to lookup and associate the DataSource with the persistence-unit, I get:

08:05:12,185 ERROR [DatasourceConnectionProvider] Could not find datasource: MyDS

java.lang.ClassCastException: javax.naming.Reference cannot be cast to javax.sql.DataSource

at org.hibernate.connection.DatasourceConnectionProvider.configure(DatasourceConnectionProvider.java:75)

at org.hibernate.connection.ConnectionProviderFactory.newConnectionProvider(ConnectionProviderFactory.java:143)

at org.hibernate.ejb.InjectionSettingsFactory.createConnectionProvider(InjectionSettingsFactory.java:51)

at org.hibernate.cfg.SettingsFactory.buildSettings(SettingsFactory.java:91)

at org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.buildSettingsInternal(Configuration.java:2833)

at org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.buildSettings(Configuration.java:2829)

at org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.buildSessionFactory(Configuration.java:1840)

at org.hibernate.ejb.Ejb3Configuration.buildEntityManagerFactory(Ejb3Configuration.java:902)

at org.hibernate.ejb.HibernatePersistence.createEntityManagerFactory(HibernatePersistence.java:57)

at javax.persistence.Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory(Persistence.java:48)

I am certain that it is not truly a naming problem, because when I change the name to something bogus in the persistence.xml and run the test again, the error is different:

08:25:34,525 ERROR [DatasourceConnectionProvider] Could not find datasource: YourDS

javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: YourDS not bound

at org.jnp.server.NamingServer.getBinding(NamingServer.java:771)

Some have suggested this is really a classpath issue and I have started adding standalone remote client oriented libs in a bit of a shotgun approach.  So far, nothing has helped.  My test classpath, at this point, contains these declared artifacts, and the dependencies declared in their poms:

slf4j-log4j12

testng

jnp-client

jboss-remoting

jbosssx-client

jboss-security-spi

hibernate-validator

jboss-logging

jboss-ejb3-vfs-spi

jboss-ejb3-core

jboss-kernel

jboss-dependency

jboss-classloading-vfs

jboss-classloading

jboss-classloader

jboss-service-binding-core

jboss-metadata-client

jboss-transaction-api_1.1_spec

jboss-jmx

jboss-integration

jboss-vfs

jboss-reflect

jboss-common-core

jboss-serialization

hibernate-jpa-2.0-api

hibernate-entitymanager

I am, perhaps, still missing an artifact?

-Steve Maring

Tampa, FL

• 1. Re: Reference cannot be cast to DataSource w/ standalone app client
          stevemaring

I cracked open the MANIFEST.MF on the jbossall-client.jar and came to the realization that my shotgun was not NEARLY large enough!  I found a much more effective weapon in the form of:

<dependency>

<groupId>org.jboss.jbossas</groupId>

<artifactId>jboss-as-client</artifactId>

<version>6.1.0.Final</version>

<type>pom</type>

<scope>test</scope>

</dependency>

Simple, clean, and effective!

Issue SOLVED