2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2013 7:04 PM by johnsky

Out of Memory Error with ConcurrentReaderHashMap on Jboss 5.1.0

amathewjboss1

Hi,

We are running on JBoss 5.1 / JDK 1.6 on Linux servers. During very high load we are seeing Out of Memory Error and it seems like related to the JBoss remoting.

We took a heap dump and the Memory Analyzer shows the below instance is taking 25% of the memory:

One instance of "org.jboss.mx.server.MBeanServerImpl" loaded by "org.jboss.classloader.spi.base.BaseClassLoader @ 0x415b2fc8" occupies 65,055,032 (24.64%) bytes. The memory is accumulated in one instance of "EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.ConcurrentReaderHashMap$Entry[]" loaded by "org.jboss.bootstrap.NoAnnotationURLClassLoader @ 0x42f8ba78".

The details which is pointing ot the JBoss remoting classes:

Class Name                                                                                                                                                Shallow Heap Retained Heap

1. EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.ConcurrentReaderHashMap$Entry[2048]  Shallow Heap => 8,208    Retained Heap => 45,693,888

EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.ConcurrentReaderHashMap   Shallow Heap => 56      Retained Heap => 45,761,640

EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.ConcurrentReaderHashMap$Entry Shallow Heap => 24                Retained Heap => 45,761,688

EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.ConcurrentReaderHashMap$Entry[64] Shallow Heap => 272                Retained Heap => 64,584,776

EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.ConcurrentReaderHashMap Shallow Heap => 56                Retained Heap => 64,621,408

org.jboss.mx.server.registry.BasicMBeanRegistry Shallow Heap =>  48      Retained Heap => 64,621,680

org.jboss.mx.server.MBeanServerImpl Shallow Heap => 24       Retained Heap => 65,055,032

com.arjuna.ats.internal.jbossatx.agent.LocalJBossAgentImpl

java.lang.Thread @ 0x42135bb8 Signal Dispatcher Native Stack, Thread

org.jboss.invocation.pooled.server.PooledInvokerHA

org.jboss.invocation.pooled.server.PooledInvoker

org.jboss.remoting.transport.bisocket.BisocketServerInvoker

org.jboss.remoting.transport.socket.SocketServerInvoker

Any thoughts on this please?

Thanks

Anil Mathew

• 1. Re: Out of Memory Error with ConcurrentReaderHashMap on Jboss 5.1.0
          ron_sigal

Hi Anil,

Sorry for the delay.  Are you still having this problem?

I'm not really sure about what I'm looking at here; in particular, what is pointing at what?  A Remoting server will try to find an MBeanServer.  Is this dump saying that the MBeanServerImpl points to the BasicMBeanRegistry which points to the ConcurrentReaderHashMap?  In any case, it doesn't seem as if Remoting has a direct pointer to the ConcurrentReaderHashMap, right?

Also, I'm not sure what to make about the presence of the PooledInvoker in the dump.  That's not part of Remoting, and I don't know how it would be related to a Remoting server. 

Can you add any information that would help me make sense of the dump?

Thanks,

Ron

• 2. Re: Out of Memory Error with ConcurrentReaderHashMap on Jboss 5.1.0
            johnsky

Hey Anil, did you ever come to a conclusion?

Thanks in advance

Johannes