5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2011 2:01 AM by maxandersen

Change deployment directory?

kwutzke

There has been a feature request with JBoss Tools to "add a third column" to specify the deployment directory on the server here:

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-7614

I wonder now how to change this for an existing project. I've only seen it when creating a new project. Can anybody help?

Thanks

Karsten

PS: I want to change it without having to change the project name, this is just a temp workaround.

• 1. Re: Change deployment directory?
          maxandersen

not sure what you mean - all deployable projects should be shown in the list.

Could you be a bit more specific ?

Is your project actually a web project ?

• 2. Re: Change deployment directory?
            kwutzke

There's a hard dependency between the name of the Eclipse project and the context root (ultimately the directory name), so that when you name your project "Basketball Stats", JBT will use that as deployment name, which is invalid.

The feature request above is said to be fixed, but I can't find the option in JBT 3.3.3. Where is it?

Karsten

• 3. Re: Change deployment directory?
              kwutzke

Ah found it! Double-click the runtime in the Servers tab - duh.

I wonder now what the Project -> Properties -> Web Project Settings -> Context root: text field is there for...? I tried this before, but it has no effect.

Karsten

• 4. Re: Change deployment directory?
                rob.stryker

There has been a lot of debate as to what exactly we should do when a user changes the "context root" section of that page. We've never really come up with an answer. Our options included changing the context root in their descriptor file, or, if they don't have a descriptor, creating a new descriptor file and setting the context root there. This was pretty unpopular. Other options were changing the war deployment name, which also seemed non-intuitive for a user.

So basically, ti's a property that WTP has put there, but that we haven't figured out how to use in a way that works for us. So we mostly ignore it (sadly).

• 5. Re: Change deployment directory?
                  maxandersen

The property is used when you do "Run As..." to know which URL to use.

If we could find a way to let jboss know this was the context root you wish to have without changing the archive that would be awesome. But we haven't found such way.