11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2011 2:01 PM by francesco.pietrobelli

Basic API Question

diogosaad

Hello Folks,

What's the API to detect in which Node from the Workflow a processInstance curently is?

Thanks,

Diogo.

• 1. Re: Basic API Question
          francesco.pietrobelli

Hi Diogo,

you can use the method

Collection<NodeInstance> getNodeInstances()

for example:

import org.jbpm.workflow.instance.WorkflowProcessInstance;
          WorkflowProcessInstance processInstance=(WorkflowProcessInstance)ksession.startProcess("processId");
          Collection<NodeInstance> currentNodeInstances=processInstance.getNodeInstances();

in collection currentNodeInstances you'll find all active nodes of processInstance!

I have answered your question?

Francesco

• 2. Re: Basic API Question
            salaboy21

a more basic question is why do you need that?

We usually try to avoid doing that...

Cheers

• 3. Re: Basic API Question
              diogosaad

For reporting, I would like to list all process instances that I have and which status it has, along with "where" (node) they are stopped.

Do you suggest another way of doing this?

Why do you usually avoid it?

Thanks,

Diogo.

• 4. Re: Basic API Question
                francesco.pietrobelli

If you enable persistence and BAM feature as explain in user guide (http://docs.jboss.org/jbpm/v5.1/userguide/ch07.html#d0e2836) you can query your database to retrieve all NodeInstanceLog that has an entry with type = 0 but not his related entry with type = 1.

Francesco.

• 5. Re: Basic API Question
                  diogosaad

Nice!! I've read the ch07 but I could not find examples on how to retrieve the ProcessInstanceLog/NodeInstanceLog objects. Can you please provide examples?

Thanks.

• 6. Re: Basic API Question
                    francesco.pietrobelli

You can use the EntityManagerFactory that you put in the Enviroment to create a SteatefulKnowledgeSession to get an EntityManager and create a query like

SELECT n FROM org.jbpm.process.audit.NodeInstanceLog WHERE ...

• 7. Re: Basic API Question
                      calca

Diogo,

You can check how it is used in console:

https://github.com/droolsjbpm/jbpm/blob/master/jbpm-gwt/jbpm-gwt-graph/src/main/java/org/jbpm/integration/console/graph/GraphViewerPluginImpl.java

Or for example this test:

https://github.com/calcacuervo/JBPM5-Samples/blob/master/human-tasks/src/test/java/com/test/HumanTaskTest.java

Basically, you create a logger to save information in bam tables:

new JPAWorkingMemoryDbLogger(session);

and then you can use a

JPAProcessInstanceDbLog processLog = new JPAProcessInstanceDbLog(session.getEnvironment());

to get the information with its methods:

findProcessInstances()

findProcessInstance(processInstanceId)

findNodesInstances(processInstances)

findVariableInstances(processInstances)

etc

Regards,

Demian   

• 8. Re: Basic API Question
                        salaboy21

I usually recommend to use the history logs or a custom processEventListner to find out that information. Using the java apis will probably not give you enough flexibility to have a query mechanism for all the situations.

Cheers

• 9. Re: Basic API Question
                          diogosaad

I'm trying to follow the path indicated by Demian (save and retrieve information from BAM tables) but I simply can not make persistence work.

I get this exception where I try to excute the following junit test :

SimpleNamingContextBuilder builder = SimpleNamingContextBuilder.emptyActivatedContextBuilder();

// Construct DataSource

JdbcDataSource ds = new org.h2.jdbcx.JdbcDataSource();

ds.setURL("jdbc:h2:jdbc/DataSource");

ds.setUser("sa");

ds.setPassword("sa");

builder.bind("jdbc/DataSource", ds);

Environment env = KnowledgeBaseFactory.newEnvironment();

env.set( EnvironmentName.ENTITY_MANAGER_FACTORY, Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory("org.jbpm.persistence.jpa"));

env.set( EnvironmentName.TRANSACTION_MANAGER, TransactionManagerServices.getTransactionManager() );

session = JPAKnowledgeService.newStatefulKnowledgeSession(kbase, null, env);

:

Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)

at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:513)

at org.drools.persistence.jpa.KnowledgeStoreServiceImpl.buildCommanService(KnowledgeStoreServiceImpl.java:116)

... 33 more

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not commit session or rollback

at org.drools.persistence.SingleSessionCommandService.rollbackTransaction(SingleSessionCommandService.java:317)

at org.drools.persistence.SingleSessionCommandService.<init>(SingleSessionCommandService.java:130)

... 38 more

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to rollback transaction

at org.drools.persistence.jta.JtaTransactionManager.rollback(JtaTransactionManager.java:189)

at org.drools.persistence.SingleSessionCommandService.rollbackTransaction(SingleSessionCommandService.java:314)

... 39 more

Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.drools.persistence.jta.JtaTransactionManager.rollback(JtaTransactionManager.java:185)

Please find attached my persistence.xml file

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Diogo.

• 10. Re: Basic API Question
                            calca

I am not sure which transaction-type is default, but could you try adding transaction-type="JTA" to your persistence.xml?

• 11. Re: Basic API Question
                              francesco.pietrobelli

I also haven't no idea!

maybe if you are in a Java Standard Edition environment you should set also the TransactionManager in environment and then handle the transaction boundary your self as explain in user guide (http://docs.jboss.org/jbpm/v5.1/userguide/ch07.html#d0e2820). Instead if you are in Java Enterprise Edition i haven't any suggestion...

I have used bitronix 1.3.3 in SE!

Of course your problem is related to transactions....