1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2011 9:42 AM by salaboy21

Which BPMN 2.0 Editor to use with jbpm 5.1

heathcliff

Hi All,

I recently tryed to create some executable pbmn2 processes with jBPM5.1 but I didnt have much success:

1. Drools eclipse editor works but is very(!) limited.

2. Eclipse BPMN2.0 Editor suggested in jbpm user guide can create nice bpmn2.0 diagrams but non of them runs on jbpm 5.1... is that this editor or jbpm lacks implementation of some elements?

Please give me some hints on how to make eclipse bpmn2.0 editor work with jbpm5.x if it is even possible

Please tell me which editor do You use to design executable bpmn2.0 processes that can run in jbpm5.1

• 1. Re: Which BPMN 2.0 Editor to use with jbpm 5.1
          strykow

To follow the topic, I would like to ask the jBPM team when the BPMN 2.0 eclipse plugin is scheduled to be included into the system?

A couple of months age, Kris posted a message that a new developer was allocated to deal with this issue, so I am hoping this inclusion should happen in the near future :-)

I would like to emphasize that a lot of people wait for this inclusion because, as Adam noticed, the Drools eclipse editor is very limited and it is impossible to create models of real business processes with it.

Best regards,

Sergio

• 2. Re: Which BPMN 2.0 Editor to use with jbpm 5.1
            heathcliff

Eclipse BPMN 2.0 Editor seems to have full range of bpmn2 elements but resulting XML doesnt work with JBPM5.X I dont know if its engine issue or the xml itself.

Any way even if they add this plugin to jbpm5.1 full dustribution You cant use them both. this still need some work. Any ide on posible date when these to will be compatibile?

• 3. Re: Which BPMN 2.0 Editor to use with jbpm 5.1
              heathcliff

So many ppl working with JBPM5.X so you must use some working designer.

PLEASE tell me which designer do you use to work with jbpm5.1 and BPMN2.0 and how you handle missing options there if any.

• 4. Re: Which BPMN 2.0 Editor to use with jbpm 5.1
                shiyaoqiang

Hi Adam,

To create executable BPMN 2.0 processes I suggust you use the open source Yaoqiang BPMN Editor.

You can download it from sourceforge.net, http://sourceforge.net/projects/bpmn/.

Hope this editor can help you.

Best regards,

Blenta

• 5. Re: Which BPMN 2.0 Editor to use with jbpm 5.1
                  strykow

Blenta,

Did you try to run processes created with this editor in the jBPM 5.1 environment?

Best regards,

Sergio

• 6. Re: Which BPMN 2.0 Editor to use with jbpm 5.1
                    blenta

Hi Sergio,

I had test the processes created with Yaoqiang BPMN Editor in both jBPM 5 and Activiti.

You can also open and edit all the sample bpmn file in both jBPM 5 and Activiti.

Best regards,

Blenta

• 7. Re: Which BPMN 2.0 Editor to use with jbpm 5.1
                      strykow

Hi Blenta,

thank you very much for your answer. I tried your editor and I must say: it's very impressive.

Best regards,

Sergio

• 8. Re: Which BPMN 2.0 Editor to use with jbpm 5.1
                        code_monkey

I'm sure this isn't what the jBPM team recommends. Surely they recommend using one version of the built-in editors, since they're actually included in the system. The docs don't saw "just use someone else's editor". I was also unsuccessful in building executable processes using the BPMN2.0 editor, but I just suspect it's "not ready for primetime" yet. What business processes can you not model?

I'm interested in what one of the developers has to say about this...

• 9. Re: Which BPMN 2.0 Editor to use with jbpm 5.1
                          salaboy21

I'm using the eclipse plugin for doing that.. the old one works well. and usually edit the XML by hand.. that works for testing and the initial phases of the development process. The web designer is getting better and better, but I didn't have the time to test it.. Did you try it?

If you find an answer to your question can you mark this question as answered?

Cheers

• 10. Re: Which BPMN 2.0 Editor to use with jbpm 5.1
                            strykow

> I'm sure this isn't what the jBPM team recommends. Surely they recommend using one version of the built-in editors, since they're actually

> included in the system. The docs don't saw "just use someone else's editor".

In chapter 6.1 you can find the following statements:

"jBPM5 allows you to execute processes defined using the BPMN 2.0 XML format. That means that you can use all the different jBPM5 tooling to model, execute, manage and monitor your business processes using the BPMN 2.0 format for specifying your executable business processes."

> What business processes can you not model?

Below I include the fragment of exemplary business process model. I didn't succeed in creating it using the jBPM editor.

Also, just the possibility of creating a model is not sufficient. In large projects you need to create thousands of such models, so a modeling tool with good ergonomy is a must. In my opinion, both current jBPM editors have here a long way to go.

ReviewApplication.png

Best regards,

Sergio

• 11. Re: Which BPMN 2.0 Editor to use with jbpm 5.1
                              blenta

Hi Chris Nash,

I didn't say "just use my editor", I just suggest an alternative editor for developers. Developers may use different tools to model business process, but I think they prefer to use the one they like the most.

Best regards,

Blenta

• 12. Re: Which BPMN 2.0 Editor to use with jbpm 5.1
                                salaboy21

I as a developer prefer the XML file directly. But I understand that for business people we should have more user friendly tools

I think that the web designer is getting very very good and we can start using it and testing it to make it better.

Cheers

• 13. Re: Which BPMN 2.0 Editor to use with jbpm 5.1
                                  heathcliff

web designer is actualy the best I found compatibile with jbpm. But still some adjustments need to be done manually to the diagram so it can work with jbpm5

• 14. Re: Which BPMN 2.0 Editor to use with jbpm 5.1
                                    heathcliff

Example differenc is with On Entry action:

Web Designer:

drools:onEntry-script="System.out.println("On Entry Action");"

Eclipse drools designer:

<extensionElements>

<tns:onEntry-script scriptFormat="http://www.java.com/java">

<script>System.out.println("On Entry Action");</script>

</tns:onEntry-script>

</extensionElements>

Web Designer doesnt see extensionElements element and nor eclipse drools plugin NEITHER jpbm engine can see

drools:onEntry-script="System.out.println(&quot;On Entry Action&quot;);"

I think this is the engine issue as web designer uses same attribute/element name and same namespace as drools designer.

1 2 Previous Next