3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2011 6:03 PM by maxandersen

Archetypes for JavaEE modules?

wolfgangknauf

Hi all,

I currently do my first Maven steps, and I want to use the features of Eclipse/WTP (or JBoss Tools), combined with some Maven features (mainly dependency management).

But I am a bit stuck with the archetypes: does anybody have a suggestion on which archetypes to use for creating a JavaEE6 ear with all child modules (ejb, app client, web module)?

E.g. JBossTools has an archetype "jboss-javaee6-webapp", but no archetypes for the other module types. I found  some JavaEE archetypes with groupId "org.codehaus.mojo.archetypes" which covered all module types, but I did not manage to connect the modules to an Eclipse EAR project.

This question is probably not really JBossTools related, but I hope that they provide all necessary utilities, and I just did not find them all ;-).

Best regards

Wolfgang

• 1. Re: Archetypes for JavaEE modules?
          fbricon

There's no multi module archetype for JavaEE6 that I know of, yet. I planned on making one, but can't give an ETA.

However, you can start by looking at  http://code.google.com/p/open-archetypes/

I suggest you create the project based on multi-javaee5-archetype first, then :

- update the version to 6 in the maven-ear-plugin configuration of the ear project

- update the version to 3.1 in the maven-ejb-plugin of the ejb project

- use a web.xml v3.0 in the web project or maybe add a new module to the base project, based off the jboss EE6 archetype, then add it as a dependency of the ear project

Note that app clients are not supported yet in m2e-wtp (it's almost ready though, so should be soon in m2e-wtp's dev builds)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Archetypes for JavaEE modules?
            wolfgangknauf

Hi Fred,

thanks for your reply!

I took a look at the archetype, but well... the combination of Eclipse/WTP und Maven seems to be very, very complicated - two different worlds which refuse to be joined ;-). As I am used to the IDE, it's a bit hard to switch to Maven ;-). I think I will buy a book (which will probably lack all the JaveEE stuff...) and start from the beginning, not in the middle....

Wolfgang

• 3. Re: Archetypes for JavaEE modules?
              maxandersen

btw. if you want it simple then dont use pre-JavaEE6 concepts like multiproject EAR's, just use War's.

See the AS7 quickstart guides - explains how to simply import and use the projects.

See http://relation.to/20924.lace