7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2017 1:10 PM by ivon.stocco

"no server jvm" when trying to start AS 7 server

wolfgangknauf

Hi all,

just doing my first steps with JBoss Tools (3.3.0M2, using Eclipse 3.7) after years of using WTP. I am stuck with the simple task to start a JBoss 7 server: I just see the message "Error: no `server' JVM at ... path\to\my\JRE" (see attached screenshot).

No problem I thought: open the launch configuration, modify the classpath for "Bootstrap entries" and point it to different paths. I tried "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_26" and "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_26\jre" (where a "server" directory" is present), but the error message did not change.

Changing the default JDK in the eclipse "Installed JREs" preferencesd did not help, either.

Does anybody have an idea?

More details:

1) WindowsXP 64 bit, with JDK 1.6.0_26 x64 AND x86 installed

2) because of M2Eclipse, my eclipse.ini contains this additional line:

-vm C:/Program Files (x86)/Java/jdk1.6.0_26/bin/javaw.exe

Best regards

Wolfgang

• 1. Re: "no server jvm" when trying to start AS 7 server
          wolfgangknauf

I see that for JBoss 6 there is a JVM selection when creating the server runtime, but this option is missing for AS 7. Is this a bug or a feature ;-)?

Best regards

Wolfgang

• 2. Re: "no server jvm" when trying to start AS 7 server
            rob.stryker

I'm not sure what version of the tools you're using, but the combo was added  for m3.

Problem is... after it was added, I tried to get all fancy, and consolidate the runtime wizard page with the server wizard page. It worked alright for a while, but then I realized when you were editing a server, you were editing the runtime too.  This is a problem, because if 4 servers target the same "runtime" and you go to edit server3, to change the VM or the server home, you're actually changing all of them. So... I added in some nifty stuff to disable the combos in the event that you're editing a server. That seemed to work too... except......

(blah blah boring details)

Now the runtime has no wizard page (since it's part of the server page) and to edit the runtime is impossible, but creating your first server automatically creates the first runtime, and... um... yeah. I suspect unless I get a critical fix in today, this won't be functional in m3 either.

• 3. Re: "no server jvm" when trying to start AS 7 server
              wolfgangknauf

Hi Rob,

I used 3.3.0 M2.

{quote}This is a problem, because if 4 servers target the same "runtime" and you go to edit server3, to change the VM or the server home, you're actually changing all of them{quote}

To my understanding, this is the same problem for the WTP server runtime environments, and I am used to this behaviour ;-). I know that I have to create different server runtime environments when using different JBoss "installations" or different java versions. So you want to improve this behaviour?

Changing the java version might make sense, because every JDK patch requires a change to the java version (if you don't reference e.g. a general "JSE6 execution evironment"). So, if I understand your planned change correct, a user would have to delete and re-create the server definition each time?

But to my opinion, a great feature would be to specifiy the name of a server runtime environment - then I could call them "JBoss 7 @ somedir" or "JBoss 7 using JDK 1.6.0.26". This feature is missing in WTP, too :-(

Best regards

Wolfgang

• 4. Re: "no server jvm" when trying to start AS 7 server
                rajan01

Hi,

I am facing the same problem i.e same alert message when going to start the JBoss AS with Eclipse. I also add my JRE path in the server configuration when we add new server. But this also not solve the issue.

If you find the solution then pleaese provide.

• 5. Re: "no server jvm" when trying to start AS 7 server
                  rajan01

The alert message is Error: no `server' JVM at `C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\server\jvm.dll'.

I read at internet that solution is :

• Copy 'server' folder from the JDK's JRE's bin folder (example: C:\Program Files\Java\jre\bin\server)
                  • Paste the 'server' folder to JRE's bin folder(example: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0\bin)

I did that then the alert message is: Error: loading: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\server\jvm.dll

Still the problem persist..

• 6. Re: "no server jvm" when trying to start AS 7 server
                    rajan01

Problem solved:

Instead of copying the "C:\Program Files\Java\jre\bin\server", copy all the files present in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\client

And then make a new folder "server" inside the C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\

and then paste all the copied files..

So we have a folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\server" with files same as "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\client".

This makes the JBoss AS 7.1.1 Final runs inside the Eclipse.

• 7. Re: "no server jvm" when trying to start AS 7 server
                      ivon.stocco

It worked for me! Copying the file from client/bin to server was the solution!