13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2011 5:16 PM by v.g

Eclipse BPMN 2.0 Plugin

code_monkey

Hi,

I've been going through the docs to understand and use jBPM5. On Chapter 9, Eclipse BPMN 2.0 Plugin (http://docs.jboss.org/jbpm/v5.1/userguide/ch09.html), I followed the instructions, but get exceptions in Eclipse when trying to create a model.

I'm using Eclipse 3.7.0 (Indigo). The documentation is out of date. The Graphiti location given doesn't work, but I was able to download the latest version from http://download.eclipse.org/graphiti/updates/0.8.0 . I also installed the BPMN 2.0 editor from codehoop.com (the URL given for it is fine). I start Eclipse according to the jBPM5 installer directions. I can create a new BPMN2 Model, but whenever I try to drag an element onto the canvas I get exceptions. Just trying to create a Start Event gives me an exception (Unhandled event loop exception). I can give further details if requested. Now none of my previous models (created with the older plug-in) will open.

Any idea what's going on? Anything I can try?

• 1. Re: Eclipse BPMN 2.0 Plugin
          eschabell

Hi Chris,

Here is a short post about doing just that with the JBoss Dev Studio, which is an older version of eclipse. I hope maybe you just missed something listed here: http://www.schabell.org/2011/03/jboss-developer-studio-40-how-to-add_23.html

Hope it helps, erics

• 2. Re: Eclipse BPMN 2.0 Plugin
            code_monkey

Thanks, Eric. I looked at your page, but I still have the exceptions when trying to create workflows with the editor. Even a tip on how to remove the editor would be appreciated, since I can't even use the old editor (which worked) now.

• 3. Re: Eclipse BPMN 2.0 Plugin
              tob1as

When do you get exceptions? When you execute the process with the engine or during modelling?

I was quite successful with the BPMN 2.0 Plugin. However, I get the same exceptions with it as with the Oryx Web Modeller. After manually moving some tags, the engine starts to understand.

You can deinstall it as follows:

Go to help, then Install New Software

Capture5.PNG

Above, click already installed (the blue link). Select the plugin.

Capture6.PNG

Uninstall ...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Eclipse BPMN 2.0 Plugin
                tsurdilovic

Tobias, the Eclipse BPMN2 plugin uses eclipse.bpmn2 just like the web Designer. I will make sure guys working on it can pick up any changes to the eclipse.bpmn2 ecore model that we fix for the designer.

• 5. Re: Eclipse BPMN 2.0 Plugin
                  tsurdilovic

This is a biased opinion of course, but I think you should really give the web Designer a try. It has independent release cycles from jBPM and we can turn around fixes fairly quickly and make sure you get them in a release much faster.

• 6. Re: Eclipse BPMN 2.0 Plugin
                    tob1as

I am also much happier with the web designer. It is a bit more intuitive and there is more manual work involved with the eclipse plugin. However, sometimes I use the bpmn2 eclipse plugin to enrich things.

• 7. Re: Eclipse BPMN 2.0 Plugin
                      eschabell

Hi Tihomir!

When I get loose from my day job again (bit flooded since returning from vacation) I will try to feed you some input on the turnaround when using that designer together with the embedded old Drools designer in Eclipse.

I am working on the jBPM Migration project and it is really a pain to even try to adhere to the thre (3) different designers when migrating a jPDL design to  BPMN2. So far I have been hampered to using only the Drools designer as my basic target display. This means I have been creating 'domain specific' nodes when wanting to try and display a non-exitant Gateway for example (there are only 2 avail).

Anyway, nice to meet you, hope to provide input sometime in the near future, maybe use your designer as my target! ;-)

PS. I have not looked, but does that designer have an XML view?

• 8. Re: Eclipse BPMN 2.0 Plugin
                        tob1as

From what I experienced, you can view the source in a popup window to preview the xml, however it is not an xml editor.

• 9. Re: Eclipse BPMN 2.0 Plugin
                          tsurdilovic

Yes, currently standard Guvnor asset source view popup window. We will keep improving this over time, for example short-term https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBPM-3322. And we will keep adding new features to the toolbar when Designer editor is used.

Hope this helps.

• 10. Re: Eclipse BPMN 2.0 Plugin
                            code_monkey

Tobias Wittur wrote:

When do you get exceptions? When you execute the process with the engine or during modelling?

I get the exceptions during modelling, when I try to add a node or event. It just reports the exception and doesn't place the node. I get different exceptions when I try to open old previous models (.bpmn files). It doesn't successfully open them.

Here's the first few lines of the exception I get:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2011-08-24 08:55:16.930

!MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception

!STACK 0

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.eclipse.graphiti.services.IGaService.createDefaultText(Lorg/eclipse/graphiti/mm/GraphicsAlgorithmContainer;Ljava/lang/String;)Lorg/eclipse/graphiti/mm/algorithms/Text;

at org.jboss.bpmn2.editor.core.features.event.AddEventFeature.add(AddEventFeature.java:78)

at org.eclipse.graphiti.internal.command.AddFeatureCommandWithContext.execute(AddFeatureCommandWithContext.java:76)

at org.eclipse.graphiti.internal.command.GFPreparableCommand.doExecute(GFPreparableCommand.java:37)

at org.eclipse.emf.transaction.RecordingCommand.execute(RecordingCommand.java:135)

at org.eclipse.graphiti.ui.internal.editor.GFWorkspaceCommandStackImpl.execute(GFWorkspaceCommandStackImpl.java:90)

at org.eclipse.graphiti.ui.internal.editor.GFWorkspaceCommandStackImpl.execute(GFWorkspaceCommandStackImpl.java:58)

I DO have graphiti installed, though it's a newer version than the one mentioned in the docs. The old one isn't available anymore, from what I can tell. Even so, the newer version should be backwards compatible with the old version, no?

Thanks for any pointers!

• 11. Re: Eclipse BPMN 2.0 Plugin
                              tob1as

My editor runs fine with this version map:

Eclipse IDE for Java Developers

Version: Helios Service Release 2

Build id: 20110218-0911

Eclipse IDE for Java Developers1.3.2.20110218-0812epp.package.java
                                Graphical Editing Framework Draw2d3.6.2.v20110128-0100-4517w3122123901211org.eclipse.draw2d.feature.group
                                Graphical Editing Framework Draw2d SDK3.6.2.v20110128-0100-7A7G38yE6F08CAO499J539958x42org.eclipse.draw2d.sdk.feature.group
                                Graphical Editing Framework Draw2d Source Feature3.6.2.v20110128-0100-4517w3122123901211org.eclipse.draw2d.source.feature.group
                                Graphical Editing Framework GEF3.6.2.v20110128-0100-777B381A4Bz06565376E32322org.eclipse.gef.feature.group
                                Graphical Editing Framework GEF SDK3.6.2.v20110128-0100-7G7R77A5WNcHQDbhX8JWOYLOSeRJorg.eclipse.gef.sdk.feature.group
                                Graphical Editing Framework GEF Source Feature3.6.2.v20110128-0100-777B381A4Bz06565376E32322org.eclipse.gef.source.feature.group
                              • 12. Re: Eclipse BPMN 2.0 Plugin
                                tsurdilovic

Sounds very similar as reported bug https://github.com/imeikas/BPMN2-Editor-for-Eclipse/issues/3, even tho I cannot find a JBPM Jira for it like indicated would be done in the comment.

• 13. Re: Eclipse BPMN 2.0 Plugin
                                  v.g

I got the same problem. I tried to search other resources without success. I see that the bug is not assigned to anyone.

So the only solution for the moment seems to be downgrading to the previous version. I uninstalled the plugins, then I restarted from version 0.7.2 of Graphiti.

http://download.eclipse.org/graphiti/updates/0.7.2