5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2011 8:51 PM by tob1as

Could not find work item handler

tob1as

Hi,

I am trying to send a message through an intermediate message throw event. However, I ve got troubles registering a work item handler for this.

I had a look at the test case in the junit example package testMessageIntermediateThrow().

I copied the Meta-Inf folder in my own project and created my own workItemHandler. I basically just copied the intermediateEvent xml into my bpmn file.

project structure.PNG

The error I get is:

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: unable to execute Action

Caused by: org.drools.WorkItemHandlerNotFoundException: Could not find work item handler for Send Task

Send Task was the old workItemHandler (in the example), the new one would be MyServiceTaskHandler:

Under Eclipse -> Properties, Action for this intermediateThrowEvent I found this:

org.drools.process.instance.impl.WorkItemImpl workItem = new org.drools.process.instance.impl.WorkItemImpl();
      workItem.setName("Send Task");

If I change this to:

org.drools.process.instance.impl.WorkItemImpl workItem = new org.drools.process.instance.impl.WorkItemImpl();
      workItem.setName("MyServiceTaskHandler");

It changes it back to Send Task immediately when I run the processTest.java. So where exactly is that fetched

This is the work definition:

import org.drools.process.core.datatype.impl.type.ObjectDataType;
      import org.drools.process.core.datatype.impl.type.StringDataType;

[
        [
          "name" : "MyServiceTask",
          "parameters" : [
              "Message" : new StringDataType()
          ],
          "displayName" : "MyServiceTask",
          "icon" : "icons/arrowright.GIF"
        ]
      ]

This the java in my processTest:

KnowledgeBuilder kbuilder = KnowledgeBuilderFactory.newKnowledgeBuilder();
      kbuilder.add(ResourceFactory.newClassPathResource("StartProcessWithMessage.bpmn2"), ResourceType.BPMN2);
      KnowledgeBase kbase = kbuilder.newKnowledgeBase();

StatefulKnowledgeSession ksession = kbase.newStatefulKnowledgeSession();
      ksession.getWorkItemManager().registerWorkItemHandler("MyServiceTask", new MyServiceTaskHandler());

Thx for your help.

Tobi

• 1. Re: Could not find work item handler
          tomcheng76
          • 2. Re: Could not find work item handler
            roxy1987

You need to add a work item handler for the task.

eg. if it is a human task, WorkItemHandler is added like this :

ksession.getWorkItemManager().registerWorkItemHandler("Human Task", new WSHumanTaskHandler());

if it is mail node, then WorkItemHandler is defined like this :

ksession.getWorkItemManager().registerWorkItemHandler("Email", new SystemOutWorkItemHandler());

regards.

• 3. Re: Could not find work item handler
              tob1as

Thanks for your help.

I did that before, like this:

ksession.getWorkItemManager().registerWorkItemHandler("MyServiceTask", new MyServiceTaskHandler());

I also wrote the handler class. However, it is still looking for the wrong handler.

When I open the bpmn file in eclipse and check for the connected action entry for this particular task, it shows

workItem.setName("Send Task");

When I change the setName function to MyServiceTask and reopen the bpmn file, it changes it back. So it must fetch this from somewhere ...

• 4. Re: Could not find work item handler
                roxy1987

Yeah. Sounds about right. I may have to get back on that.

Regards.

• 5. Re: Could not find work item handler
                  tob1as

Could it be, that the intermediate throw event has to be registered for "Send Task" ?

//This works

ksession.getWorkItemManager().registerWorkItemHandler("Send Task", new SendTaskHandler());

//This works

ksession.getWorkItemManager().registerWorkItemHandler("Send Task", new MyOwnIntermediateThrowHandler());

//Does not work

ksession.getWorkItemManager().registerWorkItemHandler("Blub!", new MyOwnIntermediateThrowHandler());