12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2017 4:08 PM by hablutzel1

Win64 Tomcat Native library on JBoss 7 not recognised

gerry.matte

Has anyone been able to implement the Tomcat native library on win64 ?

Jboss 7.0.0.Final fails to recognise the current ia64 version for Tomcat native 1.1.21 with the log entry:

16:57:51,821 INFO  [org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener] (MSC service thread 1-2) The Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance in production environments was not found on the java.library.path: c:\s\java\bin;.;C:\windows\Sun\Java\bin;C:\windows\system32;........

Using google searches for the dll name, I was able to try using older versions until I reached version 1.1.16 which was successfully recognised by Jboss 7.  However, the error message I received with that version was:

16:47:27,475 INFO  [org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener] (MSC service thread 1-6) An older version 1.1.16 of the Apache Tomcat Native library is installed, while Tomcat recommends version greater then 1.1.21

Perhaps Apache is about to release a new version greater than 1.1.21 and that is the required version ?

• 1. Re: Win64 Tomcat Native library on JBoss 7 not recognised
          emuckenhuber

Hmm, can you make sure to use the latest jboss-web native libs and see if they work for you: http://www.jboss.org/jbossweb/downloads/jboss-native-2-0-9.html

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Win64 Tomcat Native library on JBoss 7 not recognised
            jfclere
            • 3. Re: Win64 Tomcat Native library on JBoss 7 not recognised
              gerry.matte

Thanks to Emanuel for the link to a jboss download URL that contains both the tomcat native libraries and also the necessary software to run jboss 7 as a windows service.  While trying to decide which jboss zip file to download, I was hit with an idea that turned out to be the answer.

It turns out that the version I needed to use (ia64 vs x64) was exactly opposite of what the Apache download website said to use (see http://www.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/native/1.1.20/binaries/win64/ ).  Because I have a Toshiba laptop with an Intel CPU external label and my Windows 7 Processor is identified in windows as an intel processor, I had downloaded the ia64 tomcat native software.

The required version was x64 for my Intel laptop.  That version available at http://www.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/native/1.1.20/binaries/win64/x64/ is properly identified when jboss 7 starts:

09:09:22,120 INFO  [org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener] (MSC service thread 1-3) An older version 1.1.20 of the Apache Tomcat Native library is installed, while Tomcat recommends version greater then 1.1.21

For extra safety, I decided to instead use the version contained in "binaries 2.0.9-windows (x64)" downloaded from http://www.jboss.org/jbossweb/downloads/jboss-native-2-0-9.html   That version displays the same startup message as the Apache version.

However, I still have not found a version greater than 1.1.21

(I see at http://community.jboss.org/thread/160634 that others have also been looking for a newer version)

• 4. Re: Win64 Tomcat Native library on JBoss 7 not recognised
                gerry.matte

Well, it seems that getting Jboss to recognise the Tomcat native library was just the first step.

It was hours later that I tried out a web application that I've been developing ... and when the browser page displayed the webapp welcome page it failed to apply the stylesheet and it also caused the JVM to throw a fatal error that killed jboss.

I've pasted the console log entries below the line below. 

I've removed the tomcat native library and re-tested my webapp.  It seems to now be ok.

I think I'll wait for others to make this work .... I'm not even convinced that the performance improvement will be very dramatic in any case.

========================

16:49:16,460 INFO  [org.jboss.as] (Controller Boot Thread) JBoss AS 7.0.0.Final "Lightning" started in 29774ms - Started 98 of 154 services (56 services are passive or on-demand)

16:49:16,507 INFO  [org.jboss.as.server.deployment] (MSC service thread 1-6) Starting deployment of "jbossTests.war"

16:49:19,143 WARN  [org.jboss.as.server.deployment.service-loader] (MSC service thread 1-15) Encountered invalid class name "com.sun.faces.vendor.Tomcat6InjectionProvider:org.apache.catalina

.util.DefaultAnnotationProcessor" for service type "com.sun.faces.spi.injectionprovider"

16:49:19,143 WARN  [org.jboss.as.server.deployment.service-loader] (MSC service thread 1-15) Encountered invalid class name "com.sun.faces.vendor.Jetty6InjectionProvider:org.mortbay.jetty.pl

us.annotation.InjectionCollection" for service type "com.sun.faces.spi.injectionprovider"

16:49:21,140 INFO  [org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext] (MSC service thread 1-2) The listener "com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener" is already configured for this context. The dupli

cate definition has been ignored.

16:49:21,343 INFO  [javax.enterprise.resource.webcontainer.jsf.config] (MSC service thread 1-2) Initializing Mojarra 2.0.4 (FCS b09-jbossorg-4) for context '/jbossTests'

16:49:24,385 INFO  [org.hibernate.validator.util.Version] (MSC service thread 1-2) Hibernate Validator 4.1.0.Final

16:49:24,400 INFO  [org.hibernate.validator.engine.resolver.DefaultTraversableResolver] (MSC service thread 1-2) Instantiated an instance of org.hibernate.validator.engine.resolver.JPATraver

sableResolver.

16:49:25,227 INFO  [org.richfaces.log.Cache] (MSC service thread 1-2) Selected fallback cache factory

16:49:25,243 INFO  [org.richfaces.log.Cache] (MSC service thread 1-2) Creating LRUMap cache instance using parameters: {}

16:49:25,274 INFO  [org.richfaces.log.Cache] (MSC service thread 1-2) Creating LRUMap cache instance of 512 items capacity

16:49:25,835 INFO  [org.jboss.web] (MSC service thread 1-2) registering web context: /jbossTests

16:49:25,960 INFO  [org.jboss.as.server.controller] (DeploymentScanner-threads - 2) Deployed "jbossTests.war"

16:50:16,590 ERROR [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint] (ajp--127.0.0.1-8009-Poller) Critical poller failure (restarting poller): [610038] APR does not understand this error code

#

# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:

#

#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x000000001001ee9a, pid=4272, tid=9824

#

# JRE version: 6.0_24-b07

# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (19.1-b02 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)

# Problematic frame:

# C  [tcnative-1.dll+0x1ee9a]

#

# An error report file with more information is saved as:

# C:\s\jboss-7.x\bin\hs_err_pid4272.log

#

# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:

#   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp

# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.

# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.

#

Press any key to continue . . .

• 5. Re: Win64 Tomcat Native library on JBoss 7 not recognised
                  jfclere

"t turns out that the version I needed to use (ia64 vs x64) was exactly opposite of what the Apache download website said to use (see http://www.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/native/1.1.20/binaries/win64/ ).  Because I have a Toshiba laptop with an Intel CPU external label and my Windows 7 Processor is identified in windows as an intel processor, I had downloaded the ia64 tomcat native software."

Well ia64 is the intel Itanium I think it is dead :-( (we won't build a new version of it I think).

ia64:

[jfclere@jfcpc TMP]$ file openssl.exe

openssl.exe: PE32+ executable (console) Intel Itanium, for MS Windows

x64:

[jfclere@jfcpc TMP]$ file openssl.exe

openssl.exe: PE32+ executable (console) x86-64, for MS Windows

I will try to clarify the ASF pages.

• 6. Re: Win64 Tomcat Native library on JBoss 7 not recognised
                    jfclere

Gerry Matte wrote:

16:50:16,590 ERROR [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint] (ajp--127.0.0.1-8009-Poller) Critical poller failure (restarting poller): [610038] APR does not understand this error code

#

# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:

#

#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x000000001001ee9a, pid=4272, tid=9824

#

# JRE version: 6.0_24-b07

# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (19.1-b02 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)

# Problematic frame:

# C  [tcnative-1.dll+0x1ee9a]

#

# An error report file with more information is saved as:

# C:\s\jboss-7.x\bin\hs_err_pid4272.log

#

# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:

#   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp

# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.

# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.

#

Press any key to continue . . .

Hm that looks like to be a problem... What do you get it? Could you mail me the hs_err_pid4272.log?

• 7. Re: Win64 Tomcat Native library on JBoss 7 not recognised
                      gerry.matte

Hi Jean-Frederic.

I also tried to make use of the windows service wrapper was included at http://www.jboss.org/jbossweb/downloads/jboss-native-2-0-9.html

Creating the service seemed to be fairly easy and it starts without any errors.

However, when I stop the service it shuts down windows 7.

Since the 7.0.0.Final release did not include any info on creating a windows service this may be a known problem already.

• 8. Re: Win64 Tomcat Native library on JBoss 7 not recognised
                        jfclere

I will make a try: I am preparing a new version of native (should be later this week).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Win64 Tomcat Native library on JBoss 7 not recognised
                          crolip

I'm facing the same problem, any news about it?

I have attached the my error log.

• 10. Re: Win64 Tomcat Native library on JBoss 7 not recognised
                            jfclere
                            • 11. Re: Win64 Tomcat Native library on JBoss 7 not recognised
                              crolip

The VM crash again using  jboss-native-2-0-10 libs.

I'm postting the error log with it.

• 12. Re: Win64 Tomcat Native library on JBoss 7 not recognised
                                hablutzel1

Just as a note, it seems that JBoss AS 7.1.1 does already include Tomcat Native by default, see http://stackoverflow.com/a/10228684/320594