10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2013 2:48 AM by thomas.setiabudi

Persistence and Transaction Management

mpiraccini

Hi Guys,

I have a very strange behaviour with JBPM5.1 and the persistence.

I do not specify the TransactionManager in the Environment, but i set only the EntityManager. That seems to be correct, looking at the documentation (see 7.1.3 - Configuring Persistence).

My persistence unit is configured in that way:

<persistence-unit name="org.jbpm.persistence.jpa" transaction-type="RESOURCE_LOCAL">

<class>org.drools.persistence.info.SessionInfo</class>

<class>org.jbpm.persistence.processinstance.ProcessInstanceInfo</class>

<class>org.drools.persistence.info.WorkItemInfo</class>

<properties>

<property name="hibernate.hbm2ddl.auto" value="create-drop" />

<property name="hibernate.connection.driver_class" value="org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver" />

<property name="hibernate.connection.username" value="xx" />

<property name="hibernate.connection.password" value="xx" />

<property name="hibernate.show_sql" value="true" />

<property name="hibernate.connection.url" value="jdbc:hsqldb:mem:test" />                           

<property name="hibernate.dialect" value="org.hibernate.dialect.H2Dialect"/>

<property name="hibernate.max_fetch_depth" value="3"/>

<property name="hibernate.show_sql" value="true"/>

</properties>

</persistence-unit>

The strange behaviour is that, when I try to run the code from a junit test using:

Environment env = KnowledgeBaseFactory.newEnvironment();

env.set( EnvironmentName.ENTITY_MANAGER_FACTORY, emf );

JPAKnowledgeService.newStatefulKnowledgeSession(knowledgeBase, getKnowledgeSessionConfiguration(),env);

I get this NPE:

18:39:06,775 ERROR [persistence.SingleSessionCommandService] Could not commit session

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.drools.persistence.jta.JtaTransactionManager.getStatus(JtaTransactionManager.java:197)

at org.drools.persistence.jta.JtaTransactionManager.begin(JtaTransactionManager.java:150)

at org.drools.persistence.SingleSessionCommandService.<init>(SingleSessionCommandService.java:120)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)

at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:513)

at org.drools.persistence.jpa.KnowledgeStoreServiceImpl.buildCommanService(KnowledgeStoreServiceImpl.java:116)

at org.drools.persistence.jpa.KnowledgeStoreServiceImpl.newStatefulKnowledgeSession(KnowledgeStoreServiceImpl.java:54)

at org.drools.persistence.jpa.JPAKnowledgeService.newStatefulKnowledgeSession(JPAKnowledgeService.java:122)

There are some quite strange issues about that:

1) Why it uses the JtaTransactionManager even if the transaction-type is "RESOURCE_LOCAL"?

2) If I take a look at the JtaTransactionManager code, the NPE occurs because the UserTransaction is null. That's true, since no-one creates it! Indeed, looking at the SingleSessionCommandService method, the JtaTransactionManager is created in that way:

this.txm = new JtaTransactionManager( env.get( EnvironmentName.TRANSACTION ),

env.get( EnvironmentName.TRANSACTION_SYNCHRONIZATION_REGISTRY ),

tm );

...so, I have to specify the EnvironmentName.TRANSACTION to avoid the NPE? If so, why?

Thank you,

Marco.